Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectWill transmission flush do more damage than good?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=4684
4684, Will transmission flush do more damage than good?
Posted by 99ozdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Was planning on doing a transmission flush but ran across some threads that say if your transmission has over 100k (my car is at about 104k) then a transmission flush could destroy my transmission. Bought the car with 65k on it and I do not know if anyone has flushed it before. But since I've owned it (65-104k), a transmission flush has not been done. Would anybody recommend a flush? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also have had no problems with transmission shifting, putting it in park, reverse etc. if that helps.
4685, RE: Will transmission flush do more damage than good?
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hrm.

If the fluid still looks mostly red I would go for it. Work Suburban was never changed and has around 170k on it. They flushed it against my advice and its been fine for 30k miles. When I worked at Valvoline way back in the day, we were told to not do a flush if they do not know the last time it was flushed and it had 100k+ on it.

I am not a fan of the flush using a machine though. Unless you mean buying a new filter for it and then refilling with fresh fluid.
4686, RE: Will transmission flush do more damage than good?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
try and see if it does anything. You can leave it if you want, it'll be fine either way. wouldn't hurt to do it though.

--wet fill (meaning the trans still has fluid in the Torque Converter and no machine is used to flush it) is about 5ish Qts.
--dry fill is around 8-9ish Qts.

DO NOT overfill. Fill with 3 Qts. and let it fill to the 'cold' mark on the dipstick. once there, take it for a spin for about 15 mins. turn off the car, pull the dipstick and see if the fluid is in the middle of the 'hot' mark. if not, fill more till that is achieved.
4687, RE: Will transmission flush do more damage than good?
Posted by 99ozdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I had initially planned on doing it myself then realized that some fluid would be in the torque converter still. Being a novice I didn't know a wet fill was even an option. So if I were to do it, I would choose to do a "wet fill" as 420agreenville outlined.

Now I know they do not make Mopar ATF +4 tranny fluid anymore, which I assume is in my transmission already. Would it matter if I mixed in another brand?

What would it mean if my transmission fluid is not "mostly red?" I would assume if it is blacker in color then I should just leave it because it would cause more harm?
4688, RE: Will transmission flush do more damage than good?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 99ozdsm
Now I know they do not make Mopar ATF +4 tranny fluid anymore, which I assume is in my transmission already. Would it matter if I mixed in another brand?

atf +3 or the equivalent is fine. its actually what's documented anyway

Originally posted by 99ozdsm
What would it mean if my transmission fluid is not "mostly red?" I would assume if it is blacker in color then I should just leave it because it would cause more harm?

red is the color of the fluid. open up a new bottle and look for yourself. The blacker, the more internal wear has occured, thus darkening the "red". Just like the motor oil concept, except motor oil wears much faster. 3-5K as opposed to 60-100K miles.
I generated this page in 0.01070499420166 seconds, executing 7 queries.