Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectOkay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=3251
3251, Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Man I didn't think it would be too hard to get my cooler mounted, but damn this thing has almost made me not want to install it. I finnaly got it mounted with two brackets I custom fit using some metal strip. Heres a pic of where I mounted mine, any other suggestions for a better place or tips?

btw camera phone pics arent the greatest, but you get the idea.

Rebuild FINISHED!
VT 2.0 Shortblock
Built head by ERT, Crower stage 2 cams
Fidanza adj. cam gears
port matched intake manifold
High stall torque converter
Transgo Shift kit
GST Muffler
injen short ram intake
GSX dual piston calipers
3252, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
looks good mines in the same place.
3266, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Behind the driver's brake scoop is also a good place. You have to fab aluminum brackets for that too.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire
3267, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Posted by jsupetran, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'll take pics but since my ic pipes were in the way, I mounted them on the wheel well in the drivers side using the bracket that holds the inner wheel-well cover. So... the the radiator sits three inches from the left front wheel. Pretty cool install imo.

-------jezreel
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting :thumbsup

3288, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Okay, I didn't want to make a new post so I decided to go along in this one since it has to do with tranny temps.

I have an autometer trans temp gauge, I also have a remote filter inline with my tranny cooler as well. The remote filter had a fitting for the sending unit between the inlet and outlet on the mount for the filter. My fluid temps have been reading extremely high like 230-240 at the lowest and after driving for not even a half hour the gauge is nearly pegged. The car shifts fine even at these temps I do not notice any problems. I am wondering if the placement of the sending unit is causing the tranny temps be higher? What do you guys have to say? Thanks.

Rebuild FINISHED!
VT 2.0 Shortblock
Fidanza adj. cam gears
Transgo Shift kit
GST Muffler
injen short ram intake
GSX dual piston calipers
3290, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
I had my sensor mounted in a similar position (in a tee right as the fluid exits the trans). My temps were usually 180-210F. That position is about as hot as the fluid gets. After I mounted the sensor in the pan, I stay around 150-160F. That is because the pan will give you a blended temperature. The fluid comes out of the trans super hot, gets cooled by the stock cooler, cooled by the aux cooler, then heads to the pan and blends in with the other fluid.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T

3291, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Posted by Dirty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So do you think the best place is in the pan? I have mine mounted in the aux. mount also and I barely get past 100 degrees. I don't think the mounting location is ideal there. I was thinking about the temp. manifold, but if the pan is better, I'll do that and save some money. How did you mount it?
3292, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
The cooler lines can give you a worst case scenario temperature. It can be misleading. You could think your trans was about to fry when it was really at 165F. I'd put it in the pan if you have the time. I drilled a hole in the side of the pan that was about 2/3 the size of the sensor. Then I used a drift pin to bash the hole open to nearly the size of the sensor. This bends the metal back into the pan and gives you a little more surface to put threads into. Then I used a 1/8" NPT tap to make the threads. I ended up sealing the threads with RTV to make sure there were no leaks. So far, so good.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T

3293, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Posted by Dirty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Is the sensor made of brass? I would like to weld it but I'm not sure what kind of material it is. I hate holes in the pan, every since I did the drain plug it leaks. x(
3294, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
Maybe some type of strong hold epoxy would work for sealing around the hole?

Rebuild FINISHED!
VT 2.0 Shortblock
Fidanza adj. cam gears
Transgo Shift kit
GST Muffler
injen short ram intake
GSX dual piston calipers
3295, RE: Okay whose mounted tranny coolers?
The sensor is brass. You could epoxy it if you don't ever want to remove it. If you cut the threads right, RTV will be fine.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T

I generated this page in 0.012655973434448 seconds, executing 7 queries.