Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectNeed some help AT guys
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=3066
3066, Need some help AT guys
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I know this one has been asked before, but I've had trouble following other posts I have found using the search function relating to the transgo shift kit. Last night I pulled my pan, drained fluid, removed filter, but wasn't sure how to go about removing the valve body. I see tons of little screws and also some hex bolts on the edges. I also remember something about making sure the car is not in park and removing a bolt from the park actuating rod. Will this allow the valve body to then drop out? I don't want to break any shit either as its only going to cause me more problems that I don't want to deal with. This is my first experience with our ATX so any and all help is much appreciated and will go towards advancing my knowledge with our A604. Thank you.

*rebuild in process*
GST Muffler
injen short ram intake
magnecore 8.5mm wires
EGR removal/blockoff
front/rear strut tower bars
GSX dual piston calipers
3067, RE: Need some help AT guys
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i remember someone did a write-up not too long ago. i dont have the url for it though?

anyway, youll have to take out all of those hex bolts. the valve body comes apart in 2 pieces though, i pulled the entire thing out before i took it apart. the hex bolts hold the valve body together.

i think they are 8mm bolts maybe 10mm that hold the vavle body to the trans. youll want to take those out first, and slowly pull the assembly out. make sure you smooth the shift rod down good, and lube it up before you pull it out. mine was a biatch to get out. you can see the hole it pulls through in the last pic here. just go slow and you should be alright.

i chose to drill the holes out to the maximal size as stated in the instructions.

anyway, the pistons are more than likely going to fall out when you pull it. hopefully these pics help, if you can find the writeup it should make things a little easier.

the entire thing start to finish took me a whole day.
partially because i had to take it apart twice because i forgot to hook up the rooster gear and the car wouldnt get into gear haha. user error.

heres a few pics to maybe help you get an idea.

3068, RE: Need some help AT guys
Great info Matt, I thank thee much, and the pics help out even better. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend. I just hope I don't break something, Im going to be extra careful. Thanks again bro!

*rebuild in process*
GST Muffler
injen short ram intake
magnecore 8.5mm wires
EGR removal/blockoff
GSX dual piston calipers
3069, RE: Need some help AT guys
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Another thing to make sure of is that you disconnect the sensor in the lower front area of the transmission. It's attached to the little black thing in the tranny ( when you see it you'll know ) I did this because I heard of several other guys forgetting to, and then breaking it when they pulled the valvebody. Soulcontroller is right on the money though, do the hex heads first then pull it out, I made the mistake of pulling the torx heads out in the car and spent about 2 hours trying to hunt down the three checkballs in there. Make sure to use the silicone for a gasket and not the paper gasket that comes with it, and DO NOT bend the valveboady plate. It's a great mod and you'll love it :thumbsup
3071, RE: Need some help AT guys
Originally posted by Keith2172
Another thing to make sure of is that you disconnect the sensor in the lower front area of the transmission. It's attached to the little black thing in the tranny ( when you see it you'll know ) I did this because I heard of several other guys forgetting to, and then breaking it when they pulled the valvebody.

When your talking about that sensor, are you talking about the one connected to the solenoid pack in front of the tranny? It is covered by a black plastic shroud. I've already unplugged sensors in that area and removed my solenoid as I have an upgraded on to install.

Originally posted by Keith2172
Make sure to use the silicone for a gasket and not the paper gasket that comes with it, and DO NOT bend the valveboady plate. It's a great mod and you'll love it :thumbsup

Which gasket are we talking about here? I dont think I got a paper gasket with my kit. I have plenty of silicone for gaskets too heh }(

*rebuild in process*
GST Muffler
injen short ram intake
magnecore 8.5mm wires
EGR removal/blockoff
GSX dual piston calipers
3072, RE: Need some help AT guys
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im not sure of the paper gasket either. i dont recall any when i did mine.
3080, RE: Need some help AT guys
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Maybe the paper gasket was in the filter change kit, I did both at once and it was long enough ago that everything kinda melded together in my mind. I don't remember precisely if the connector was under a cover, but it was in the very front of the tranny, and if you tried to pull the valvebody it'd kinda hold you up, so you'd know.
I generated this page in 0.014102935791016 seconds, executing 7 queries.