Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectRaising the redline?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=2741
2741, Raising the redline?
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How would I go about raising my redline from 6464rpm (stock AT redline) to 7300rpm (or higher?) I searched but didn't find much on the topic so I decided to just ask and see what is involved. If you were to override the stock TCU with that autostick conversion thing on eBay, would that work or would I run into the mechanical limits of the torque convertor and gearbox?
2742, RE: Raising the redline?
Posted by ajna_star, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
most 2gnt NA dyno graphs ive seen, the torque & hp fall off above 6500... so its kinda pointless unless your boosting high
2743, RE: Raising the redline?
Posted by python6586, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that is a good question and i would also like to know as well, because from my understanding its the TCU in our car that limits us to 6500 the ecu redline is 7200 isnt it. i would love to rev past 6500 which on the forced induction guys would be very beneficial. maybe if we actually figure at this a/s mode that will let us rev to the ecu limiter? just a thouht

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit
2744, RE: Raising the redline?
Posted by euro_clipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The issue deals with the tranny. If the engine is allowed to spin that high, it won't take long for the tranny to melt into a pile of shit!

Mini Cooper S/ CAI, 15% supercharger reduction pulley

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."
2748, RE: Raising the redline?
Posted by 95GSEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i thought the redline was built into the PCM not the TCU....i did a tranny swap....auto to 5-speed and the last thing i did was swap out to a pcm from a 5 speed....but i dont think you guys could do that becuase the auto PCM does control some things for the auto trans...or sends some things to it..i removed the plug from the auto trans and rewired it and there are a few wires running back and forth from PCM to TCU
2760, RE: Raising the redline?
Posted by Vigo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well, the reason the transmission wont go higher than that is because of reliability issues. the torque converter is the main reason iirc. if you were to get a smaller diameter quality aftermarket one i think you'd have no problems. the rest of the system is anyone's guess, ive never heard of anyone going past 7k on a 604.

however, a prowler TCM i think can be made to work on your car, and its the only autostick 604/606 tcm that doesnt have a forced upshift around 6500 rpm.. so if you can get that to work, which shouldnt be harder than swapping in any other autostick tcm, you should be able to go all the way to the pcm's rev limiter. i dont know what that is, tho.. im kinda doubting it goes all the way to 7200.. anybody know for sure?

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph :D
I generated this page in 0.0094020366668701 seconds, executing 7 queries.