Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectSome werid stuff with my Transmission
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=1685
1685, Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by SilverEclipseGs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok there are a lot of things that are wrong with my tranny and I'll admit to it, I've beat the hell out of it and now I need to findout whats wrong...
Oh and my Transmission is an Auto to clear up anything

1)When going about 80 MPH the RPMs kinda stick at 4K untill I let off the gas and get back on it, then it will jump pass 4k to 5k or so.

2) Tonight when I was driving home I accelerated normally and noticed that I was almost redlining at 3rd gear and I couldnt figure out why exactly, so I let off the gas and made it shift into 4th and all was fine.

3) All in all the Tranny feels like a slug theres no power band or anything, I'm thinking about getting the Tranny flushed with new fulid (BG Syncho Shift) but I did that about 4-5 months ago so could that be the problem?

someone help me out
1687, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by ttieuca, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my shiet is jux like urs man.. on the highway.. going at like 70 .. RPM will go up as high as 4. 80... it will be like 4.5... i changed the TC and all that necessary shit.. did everything i could.. stilll f*cked up.. i really don't know what's wrong with it.. Overdrive light work and everything.. shiettttttttt.. someone help please for real..
1690, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by Joe B Slow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
1)When going about 80 MPH the RPMs kinda stick at 4K untill I
let off the gas and get back on it, then it will jump pass 4k to 5k or so.

1} That is your torque converter locking up. Believe it or not that is supposed to happen. There is a mechanism to combat that, but im not sure if youre ready for that yet.

2) Tonight when I was driving home I accelerated normally and
noticed that I was almost redlining at 3rd gear and I couldnt
figure out why exactly, so I let off the gas and made it shift
into 4th and all was fine.

2} This is normal too, mine does the same thing. My car will redline in almost every gear but 4th (because of TC lock up) if i let it.

3) All in all the Tranny feels like a slug theres no power
band or anything, I'm thinking about getting the Tranny
flushed with new fulid (BG Syncho Shift) but I did that about
4-5 months ago so could that be the problem?

3} DO NOT use any other fluid than either MOPAR atf+3 or +4 or just regular ATF+3. DO NOT use Mercon or Dexron 3 or any other fluid than stated above. I wouldnt even use Multi-Vehicle tranny fluid.

If you got more questions. Ask:)

edit : "but I did that about
4-5 months ago so could that be the problem?"
YES YES YES

1691, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by SilverEclipseGs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for the help, soo TC lock up huh I've read on here that you can emlinate that but your right I dont think I want to do that yet.

I havent used the BG snycho shift yet just good ole' stuff that Valvoline uses.
1695, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
At Jiffy Lube we hate Valvoline;). lol Make sure you watch them if they do a flush or fill. Make for certain they're using ATF+3. DO NOT let them tell you that you can use any other fluid. If they do, LEAVE:)
1696, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Joe he has a 1999 he needs to use ATF +4
1697, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Well he doesnt have to necassarily, but would be a good idea since his car will probably last well into the non atf+3 days.
1700, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ive been told by chrysler that its ok to go from ATF +3 to ATF +4 but not the other way around.
1701, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
ditto^
1774, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by WIKKI, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
synchroshift is for a standard transmission. FYI
1777, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by jayjay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know you guys all mean well, but 4800rpm at 80mph is not right. I'm a mitsu master tech ( I work on bmw's now however..more money), and I can tell you from experience that your convertor is not locking up. Could be a number of different things causing it, but that is not right. 70mph should come in at 2500rpm, with 80 at 3500-3800 rpm if the convertor is locked up. ONLY use the mopar atf +4 in your 99. No off brands without an additive to ensure proper clutch enggement in your auto trans. Dex 3, valvoline muti veh, and various others doo not have the proper friction modifier for our trans...you will have lots of problems with alternative fluids. Hope that helps!:)
1778, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
hmm...im at 80mph at 3k. before and after a soft overhaul of the trans. This is od on and TC lock up on.
1779, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
Posted by jayjay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sound right....3500 was an aprox...keep in mind our tachs can be off as much as 250rpm..and the speedos have an error of +/- 5mph
1780, RE: Some werid stuff with my Transmission
haha, if my tach was at 3500 under my normal interstate cruise of 90 id be worried. Worried more about the guage to the right going down rather quickly (gas).
I generated this page in 0.015360832214355 seconds, executing 7 queries.