Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectanyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=1407
1407, anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did you get noticeable gains from the lock-up kill switch? I can do this without the tranny cooler, but I want her to run strong. So, I am going to get a fluidyne or B&M cooler and do the kill switch. Is it really worth doing?
1410, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah it works very well with interstate travel.
1416, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Yeah it works very well with interstate travel.

thats where alot of heat is generated, its really for racing only I wouldnt drive around with it unlocked for any long period of time at all. and your gas milage will suffer
1417, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Yeah, I just want it so I can run the car on the track or haul ass. Not gonna flip the switch for a sustained period of time. :thumbsup So, it's kewl? How bout the install? Pretty painless? The kill switch doesn't look hard at all. How bout the cooler tho?
1419, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by Joe B Slow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How can you run the kill switch without a cooler? You need the cooler, period. ESPECIALLY racing. Running your engine full throttle then letting it off. Doesnt give it time to cool. You need that cooler to help give it a boost. Most definitely with the heat generated by the kill switch causing your TC to unlock and just spin til who knows when.

Do the cooler:thumbsup it isnt that hard to do. And its worth it.
1420, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Guess I phrased that wrong. I dont run it everytime that I am on the interstate just trying to explain that its meant for help at high speed. It gets rid of that nasty little dip in RPMs when you go to about 80 at WOT. Yeah you definately need the cooler for this one.
1423, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
a cooler must be the first mod any auto tranny eclipse does, it will save your ass.

cooler is easy hardest part is finding somewhere good to mount it, and def make sure you dont kink any of the cooler lines or youll blow that tranny in no time
1424, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
can someone explain the mounting of the cooler? Do you ziptie it or what? I know it needs to go in front of my condenser.
1425, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
When you buy a kit it comes with instructions. Basically it is like zipties. From what I can tell its a little black square with the "receiving" end of a ziptie. You put that on one side and stick the "tie" part through the cooler into that black square. Depending on which kit you buy there should be instructions. just follow those.

and yes DO NOT kink your lines or the cooler will be useless.

joseph
1426, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
Posted by Dirty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>can someone explain the mounting of the cooler? Do you ziptie
>it or what? I know it needs to go in front of my condenser.

Dude. Doesn't your dad own a tranny shop? I figured you would have the hookup on parts and knowledge for the rest of us. I'm not breaking your balls or anything, I just thought your dad was the shit for the family biz and all.
1430, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
>>can someone explain the mounting of the cooler? Do you
>ziptie
>>it or what? I know it needs to go in front of my condenser.
>
>Dude. Doesn't your dad own a tranny shop? I figured you would
>have the hookup on parts and knowledge for the rest of us. I'm
>not breaking your balls or anything, I just thought your dad
>was the shit for the family biz and all.
we haven't done a tranny cooler on anything while I worked there. He just doesn't wanna explain it tome, he says he can do it, but there isn't really anything to explain. He has installed the B&M's for people b4, but I have never been there when this shit took place. People rarely want performance build-ups and shit. We have build amateur racing transmissions b4. But I guess they already had coolers on. My dad works with automatics only. Domestics. He doesn't really know much about electronics. He knows nothing about a kill switch for the lock up with electronically controlled stuff, so that's all me. I guess I needta buy a cooler and slap dat biznatch on this weekend tho. :thumbsup
1431, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
"Domestics..."

Not to down your father, as he works on trannys. But what does he do when a Chrysler comes rolling through. Say a Grand Caravan? Or a Lebaron. Does he work on those? They share the same "transmission" (with obvious changes of course) but same electronics.
1559, RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?
he works on those. They wanna be a PITA to work tho electronically.
I generated this page in 0.008695125579834 seconds, executing 7 queries.