Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectThe 604 in the LA Times ?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=1296
1296, The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Was going through the news paper and noticed a 2 page article (not full 2 pages just continued from the front page) in the auto section talking trash about the chrysler 604. They mentioned it was in the lebaron? and in minivans. When they contacted chrysler they said that they havnt used that tranny recently. Bah, that reporter didnt do his hw, with the name change and all isnt our tranny still being used?

They interviewed mechanincs and dealers and all agreed that it is the most serviced tranny, and the worst design of all time?

That some cars have gone through several trannies in hundreds or thousands intervals (miles) and costing some several thousands.:wary

Comments on our wonderful tranny?:rolleyes
1297, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by jsupetran, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah i was reading that. i think that they said that the problem is common in lebaron but it has since been redesigned for other cars(not affecting us).

i should read it again...

-------jezreel

1298, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes we actually have the 41te tranny (just a name change to confuse consumers into thinking that the arent getting the a604 and I believe mitsu calls it the f4ac1 or something like that

All I can say is my tranny is just fine after 90k Miles (well so is my timing belt too)

the problem with the a604 is insufficient cooling
thats it, Ive had an extra cooler since almost day one and no problems

1299, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by Joe B Slow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mcgyvr hit it right on the crotch. It is a piece of crap transmission - in SOME cases. Hes right about the insufficient cooling too. YOu always hear "Heat is the A604s worst enemy..." The stock cooler is only a one pass fluid to fluid (think thats what you call it). And like Corbin has said in other threads, it can only get as cold/hot as your engines coolant temp.

But yea, 41TE or A604 or the Mitsu counterpart, in some cases it can fuck up. And when it does it isnt cheap, so like any other car part if you take care of it it will take care of you.

Joseph

ps - yes our tranny's in minivans. isnt that super. my moms car has the same tranny, except maybe with a few variations. her diff casing is huge. bout the only diff i can see, oh and the shifter looks different.
1304, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by InFiNiT3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
*jake has no comment*

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor
1316, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by euro_clipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd have to agree with the LA Times. My tranny pisses me off daily. I've never driven an auto that takes so long to respond to throttle input.

Black '98 GS auto
I-vers intake
Custom ram air
Front & rear strut bars
OBX fog lights w/ fog light mod
RSR rear section
Stereo that goes BOOM
1349, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by ghostshellx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i went through 11 of them w/ an aftermarket tranny cooler, a604 is a big paper weight imo thats why whem i'm done with my rebuild i'm doing the 5sp swap when i drop it in
1393, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
being around a tranny shop so long- we may use the same tranny. There are still differences. Updates. The valve body probably has differences, the solenoids, electronics, everything. It's basically just the same case. There are cases where we have to drill into parts to update with new rebuild kits. So, there u have it. The tranny is the same, but probably isn't 100% exact.
1446, RE: The 604 in the LA Times ?
Posted by silvreclipsers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>I'd have to agree with the LA Times. My tranny pisses me off
>daily. I've never driven an auto that takes so long to
>respond to throttle input.
>
hell yeah!
I generated this page in 0.010128021240234 seconds, executing 7 queries.