Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjecttrap speeds and quarter mile times
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=4538
4538, trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by oRACLe063, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i was wondering about this ... i had my car running better than it was at my last time at the track

i averaged 79 mph on my first at the track and my second time over i averaged 3 mph faster @ 81 what does that mean in relation to my times ? i had a bad night with wheel spin and ran worse, time wise but my mph was up ... does that mean anything .. i know the car is the trap speed and the time is the driver ... so in that respect if the conditions were better i could have broke the 16 mark ?
4577, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by senseiturtle, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

What was your 60'?

An 81mph trap speed is good for high 16's, it's just a matter if you can find traction in those first few seconds.

15.23 @ 91.80
4586, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
2.510 was my best to date ... hopefully this new season will provide better numbers
4587, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
what are your mods. I'm an auto too, and basically stock I can't get under 18.3.. How do you race the auto.. redline to each gear?
4588, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by oRACLe063
2.510 was my best to date

wow thats very good. my best even with a high stall converter is 2.4
4591, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
"wow thats very good. my best even with a high stall converter is 2.4"

thanks SC !!

tenzo - i only have the CAI, 55mm TB, UDP, Apex catback... my weight is what saves me ... see sig

4592, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by HiOnPSI, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
lol i have a fast trap speed.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

shaun> i'm sayin', bro!
4593, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That loss in time but higher speed could be a drop in low end torque (due to TB and no supporting mods). Definately go after a header, a port and polish of the intake wouldn't hurt (nor would a pocket port on the head). The Stratus gears may help a little, but a stall will help a lot more by getting the revs higher at the line. You've shifted the powerband higher into the RPM, now you need to reach that RPM sooner. You may also consider some polyurethane motor mounts to try to lower your reaction time some, it helps more on a manual than ours but I noticed a difference anyways. The TQ Reduction Mod is helpful. Im not sure exactly how much it helps, but I like how it feels. I hope this helps some, good luck.
4594, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
well here is the gusto that i completely forgot to mention ... cant belive i forgot this aspect

1st time at track

14" stockers
80 degrees
hot track that was used all day

2nd time
17"
40 degrees
cold track .. lanes just opened

that i think did me in .. the 17"s and the cold track... but i was considering headers to go with my yet to be installed ert high flow cat ... the B&M trans cooler i have probably wants to get installed also .. if i can find room for the monster .. i was also considering the nitto drag radials for my 14"s also ... maybe than i can net a mid 2.4 60 .. or god willing a 2.3 !!!
4595, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by Avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by oRACLe063
well here is the gusto that i completely forgot to mention ... cant belive i forgot this aspect 1st time at track 14" stockers 80 degrees hot track that was used all day 2nd time 17" 40 degrees cold track .. lanes just opened that i think did me in .. the 17"s and the cold track... but i was considering headers to go with my yet to be installed ert high flow cat ... the B&M trans cooler i have probably wants to get installed also .. if i can find room for the monster .. i was also considering the nitto drag radials for my 14"s also ... maybe than i can net a mid 2.4 60 .. or god willing a 2.3 !!!

I don't know if a 2.3 is even possible. With my old stock AT trans (no high stall TQC or any trans mods) I was able to get something like a 2.47ish 60' (probably on the 16.9 run ages ago). I'm not sure a 2.3 is possible unless there is some serious get up and go. Funny part is it took me a while practicing with the MT to get into the 2.4s for 60'. I've never done better than that. When I first had the MT I was getting whopping 2.6 60' (yes I suck at my launch).

4618, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by boostntofu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
89's hoping to hit the 90ish at the start of this next racing season
4645, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I came by a chart in a magazine and thought of this thread. It's saying if you're running at one of the given speeds, you should at least be at the e.t. next to it. BUT, this is assuming your chassis is holding up and not flexing. If the e.t number is higher than it should be for a given mph, it generally means there's room for improvement in the tires, clutch/converter, gear ratio, and/or suspension.

{hosted by imageshack.us}
4646, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by Justin99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i cant say that i agree with that very much...

when all motor i was trapping 90mph, accoriding to that would have been a 14.5.... now on boost i was running 14.5 at 98, and according to that i should have been running 13.5...which isnt gonna happen...maybe if your are shot out of a launch cannon or something...
4647, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Originally posted by Justin99RS
i cant say that i agree with that very much... when all motor i was trapping 90mph, accoriding to that would have been a 14.5.... now on boost i was running 14.5 at 98, and according to that i should have been running 13.5...which isnt gonna happen...maybe if your are shot out of a launch cannon or something...

Well, first of all, your chassis isn't Super Stock-quality lol. And second of all..

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
If the e.t number is higher than it should be for a given mph, it generally means there's room for improvement in the tires, clutch/converter, gear ratio, and/or suspension.

So yes, assuming you have all the requirements, you can run a 13.5 @ 98mph.

edit - I just looked at VX100's post to see what his mph was and it was 91.05(good for 14.5 according to the chart). I bet if he put some slicks on(assuming he doesn't already), he would be in the 14's for sure.
4648, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
These are probably times lists for Rear wheel drive vehicles, N/A
4649, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Originally posted by Keith2172
These are probably times lists for Rear wheel drive vehicles, N/A

No, it doesn't matter. The peak mph achieved in a quarter-mile run is relatively independent of the e.t. turned so long as full acceleration is maintained. With a given horsepower output and vehicle weight, a car should go a certain speed. If the chassis is doing its job, this speed will generate a certain minimum e.t. Then it would go on to say what I said already about if your e.t. is higher than the charts, there's room for improvement. The principles can be applied to any vehicle make.
4660, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
I came by a chart in a magazine and thought of this thread. It's saying if you're running at one of the given speeds, you can be at the e.t. next to it. BUT, this is assuming your chassis is holding up and not flexing. If the e.t number is higher than it should be for a given mph, it generally means there's room for improvement in the tires, clutch/converter, gear ratio, and/or suspension.

{hosted by imageshack.us}

I just re-read this and I mistyped something. Noted in bold.
4720, RE: trap speeds and quarter mile times
Posted by SaberKhan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd say you guys need some practicing the launches. 2.4 60ft is just plain yucky :P I nailed a 2.15 backed up by a 2.19 my first time at the track in my old 96' RS. Mods: short ram and catback. Also, RWD does have some affect on that time list. A RWD car is more likely to achieve the 60ft time to match those speeds and times. Its all about the 60ft people. Nail that and its all just shifting from there. There are AWD guys out there running 13.0's @ 95mph. Its all in the launch (and 1.5 60ft times, hehe)
I generated this page in 0.0090360641479492 seconds, executing 7 queries.