Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectDrifting in a FWD?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=3587
3587, Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by BlackGSTurbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone do it and if so could you explain how? I been looking around and trying to learn, but i probably couldn't drift a RWD. I'm kinda getting into the road race and drift thing along with drag racing. So any help will be great. Thanks
3603, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Depending on who you talk to on the defintion of drifting, some would say that front wheel drive cars can't even drift (one defination is that you accelerate so hard that the rear tires break loose, which would be near impossible on fwd).

The simplest way is to pull the e-brake. There's also ways to build up your suspension so that your car tends to oversteer instead of understeer (sway bars, shock stiffness, even tire pressures). Then it's just a matter of turning hard, hitting the brakes so that the rear lifts even more, and the back comes sliding.

You can also use your surroundings. Puddles, dirt, ice and snow patches make the rear have less traction if you can aim it so that only the rear wheels land on that stuff.

If you're going to try any of this, make sure you're in a wide open space away from trees, curbs and small children.
3624, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Nackers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The definition of drifting is over powering the rear wheels making them loose traction. I don't care what anyone says, thats that.
3625, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Clay, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>accelerate so hard that the rear tires break loose, which would be near impossible on fwd).

No way dude, it can be done! I've seen a civic hatchback do a short lived 4 wheel drift.
3633, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Nackers
The definition of drifting is over powering the rear wheels making them loose traction. I don't care what anyone says, thats that.

actually, that would be a "burnout". Watch those Jap drifters, they they give the wheel a quick jab and left off the gas to break the rear loose and then feather the throttle to keep it going and under control.
Do you think they just enter a corner and mash the gas? If so, explain how an AWD car would "drift" without just sliding off the track...

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke
3636, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by EclipseRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I thought drifting was pretty much just the art of taking turns without losing any or much speed by breaking the back end loose and using the weight transfer to help take you through the turns.
3637, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EclipseRST
I thought drifting was pretty much just the art of taking turns without losing any or much speed by breaking the back end loose and using the weight transfer to help take you through the turns.

yes.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke
3638, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Doug96GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
In my experience, in dry conditions, if you accellerate hard through a turn and let off of the gas and cut the wheel a little tough around the apex, you can get your back wheels loose. I do it almost every time that I get onto 76E if there's no traffic :-). The most fun "drifting" with FWD is with some snow-covered parking lot and the e-brake, or as I like to call it, "the 4th pedal" :-). Some high tire pressure in the back and a little bit less than normal in the front could help out too.
3642, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Nackers

sigh a 95 guy even. Well if you look at a buncha of the posts I posted a while back you can figure out how I drift my car but I'm not gonna write it all down.

anyway that is called power over drifting that your mentioning there, its a type of drift. Its also known as a power slide. The definition is to induce loss of rear traction (OVERSTEER) by using the throttle to break traction the rear slips out and you control it through countersteer and throttle modulation.

NOW we can't exactly do that can we, we can do a power underdrift though, if the same thing but the front end slides instead and well you can't really control it you can just stop it, helps get through tight S turns I guess.

There are many ways to induce a drift in a FWD just not as many as a RWD which makes it more challenging, and yes a FWD will never be able to drift as long as a RWD cuz its got no pushing action but I can make my car look better drifting than most newbie drifter I see out there.

Funny thing about RWD drivers (notice I don't say drifters) is that they thing "OH I have a RWD I can just stab the throttle yank the wheel and let the ass hang out and start countering" That's what puts a lotta those drivers into guard rails and spins. Drifting is all about shifting weight and managing traction loss.

I can also make a FWD drift as fast most RWDs just won't look like that pretty full countersteer tire smokin drifting you see in those option vids. You can make the car do a 4 wheel drift with no countesteer, which allows the car to push forward and go sideways at the same time.

anyway look this stuff up in the search engine I'm kinda tired right now:
left foot brake
e-brake drift
feint motion

if your into japanese racing video magazines you should check out this months "drift tengoku" its volume 18 and Hatakeyama the FF drift master is in it, you know what that means.
3641, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Mystic511
Depending on who you talk to on the defintion of drifting...

Thanks for proving me right guys.

:P
3643, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by BlackGSTurbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. It rained about a week ago here and made a coulple sliding trips around my block it was fun. Thought i might have someone call the cops so i stopped. Thanks
3644, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
In my opinion, if the back end kicks out, you are not taking the fastest line. Very few exceptions exist to this.

You can play games with gas and brake in a FWD car to get the ass end to kick out and this is fine. It's a matter of weighttransfer from back wheels to the front so the front tires bite more and the rears loose traction. Managing weight transfer and momentum is what real driving is about. Pulling the e-brake unless you are doing an e-brake 180, is a cheap way to drift, and doesn't take skill, it takes luck.
I say do it right, or don't do it at all.
3645, RE: Drifting in a FWD?
Posted by Doug96GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Michael_97RS
In my opinion, if the back end kicks out, you are not taking the fastest line. Very few exceptions exist to this. You can play games with gas and brake in a FWD car to get the ass end to kick out and this is fine. It's a matter of weighttransfer from back wheels to the front so the front tires bite more and the rears loose traction. Managing weight transfer and momentum is what real driving is about. Pulling the e-brake unless you are doing an e-brake 180, is a cheap way to drift, and doesn't take skill, it takes luck. I say do it right, or don't do it at all.

I completely agree, but e-braking in the snow is just too much fun :-)

I generated this page in 0.01301097869873 seconds, executing 7 queries.