Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjecttire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=3321
3321, tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Before I did my rebuild, I could wind her up to about 3 grand and let the clutch out nice and linear, making for a quick launch (never been to the track before, but still knew it was a decent launch).

Now, with this high CR rebuild and the grippier PT Cruiser clutch, I've been giving my launch some practice in the industrial parks with no traffic after dark, and I either lug it off the start or smoke them all through first (well, smoke the one anyways :P )

I've tried going from 3 grand, 2, and even 1000 RPM, but I always do one or the other (lug or spin). Should I maybe adjust my tire pressure to get a little more bite? If so, how much? I ususally run my tires about 36-38psi, but I'm thinking I should leave them aired up until I get to the track and then drop pressure while they're warmed up.

I'll be going to the track the evening of the 20th and I want to be able to at least get a decent launch. Any input would be greatly appreiciated as always.

TIA! ;)
3322, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its not always tire pressure do0d

Remember my runs at Firebird?

I put my tires at 22 psi and I still roasted them.

Clutch do0d....learn when and how much to slip it for the most power before wheel spin.

You have alot more power now. Launching is completely different.
I still cant launch my RS worth shit.
3326, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
For street tires, just run normal tire pressure, esp for lower profile tires. I have tried both ways, and running lower tire pressure did not help at all, actually it made traction worse(on my Toyo Proxies). The best way to do it, that works for me at the track, is to pump the throttle(kinda like a rev limiter), and let off the clutch just enough to grab and start moving the car. Now, as the car starts to move, evenly give more gas, and let out the clutch. It really is a skill launching these cars...
3334, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I guess I could consider my tires to be low profile. They're old Goodyear American Eagle (<-- nice on an Eagle, huh?) 14R60s. I hope to get some practice this weekend sometime. I know most of us Phoenix 2GNTers could use better launches. :P I'll give that simulated rev limiter method a try...

Thanks!
3337, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>I
>know most of us Phoenix 2GNTers could use better launches. :P

Hey now...my 2.6 0-60 times were awesome

:rolleyes
3367, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by taloniized, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, same with my 2.456 60' time...naw, still need better traction...
3368, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by 2g99RSNC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'm running falcon azenis on my factory 14's and set them at 18 psi and they hook up great been hitting 2.0 60ft's with them
3369, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by run4cvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My 2.8 60' times were the best.
3626, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by servidjo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
I guess I could consider my tires to be low profile. They're old Goodyear American Eagle (<-- nice on an Eagle, huh?) 14R60s. I hope to get some practice this weekend sometime. I know most of us Phoenix 2GNTers could use better launches. :P I'll give that simulated rev limiter method a try... Thanks!

what are the tire dimensions again? if im reading that right, i wouldnt consider those tires to be low profile.. however, i doubt lowering pressure would help any like everyone else said. just learn to launch with the new setup.

3627, RE: tire pressure and launch question (no0b)
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It depends on the tires your using, their profile, your launching method, how much power you are putting to the ground, and weather/track conditions.

No, it's not easy to figure out where the tire pressure should be.

In general, I found (for reasonable rims/tires, say 195/70R14s or 205/55R16s or 225/50R16s) that mid to low 20s for psi should work.

Try starting at 26 psi, run at the strip and see what your 60' times are, see how that pressure works, then drop it a few pounds, see how that works.. ect ect..
I generated this page in 0.012485027313232 seconds, executing 7 queries.