Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectMatching rev for syncros in downshifting
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=2907
2907, Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by Collente, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

I downshift a shitload on the freeway when racing. Someone had mentioned matching reves when down shifting for you synchros so they dont get fucked. Well I have never done this and was wondering the severity and how it works exactly. I understand the concept but all your input is needed.

TIA!

Nick
97RS
2908, RE: Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The closer the engine rpms is to the driveshaft rpm, the less the syncros have to work, and the less wear they get. I almost always give the throttle a blip when downshifting, to bring the rpms back up. Using pedal covers works well for this, a simple roll onto the gas pedal while braking and you can downshift while maintaining a steady brake pressure.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC
2909, RE: Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by Collente, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Looks like I'll have to learn a new habbit.. Thx man :thumbsup

Nick
97RS
:thumbsup
2912, RE: Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by 2hot97GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its really simple.. you just have to know your car and your gearing.... just takes a little practice... it also saves your clutch a ton... every time ur off on the revs on a downshift its just like dropping the clutch. and if ur quick enough i can keep ur foot on the gas, clutch and drop the gear and the revs will be really close to perfect... u just cant skip gears.
2913, RE: Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its called double clutching you don't need to do it in our cars because of the syncros but it does help prolong their life :)
2914, RE: Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by ohalbert, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it just feels better...
2938, RE: Matching rev for syncros in downshifting
Posted by Hamgumball, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
To match gears for downshifting, all you need to do is press the clutch, gas it so it revs up, and dump it. When to dump it varies a lot on what gear, what speed, what rpm, ect. It just takes time and practice to know your car.

In other words its the opposite of smooth upshifting. Think about it, when you upshift, you dont gas it. You press down the clutch or you slide it slowly and therefore you let the rpms drop. If you get the right rpm speed, you can dump the clutch as fast as you want, you wont jerk or slow down at all.

If you really want to find out what exact rpm to shift at. Learn to shift without the clutch.

Hypotheticaly speaking...
If you go 15 mph in first gear, and your rpms are 4500.
And at 15 mph in second gear, your rpms are 3000

Then to upshift drive to 4500rpm in first gear, pop it in neutral, wait till it gets to 3000 grand and slide it into 2nd gear.

To downshift from second gear to first gear. Drive to 3000 grand in 2nd gear, pop it in neutral, gas it to 4500rpm then slide it into 1st gear. It'll pop in like nothing, dont force it, if you have to force it then your doing it wrong.

I hope that helps.

I generated this page in 0.010792970657349 seconds, executing 7 queries.