Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectLaunching with an automatic
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=2682
2682, Launching with an automatic
Posted by , Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, can you tell me some good techniques on launching with an automatic? I dont have a stall converter and my stall rpm only goes up to about 2100-2200 when power braking. I've read some other posts on the net and lots of people say that when launchign with an automatic its better to just leave it in drive from the start instead of starting from low gear and shifting upwards. Can anyone verify for me which technique is better? And when power braking, am i only suppose to step lightly on the gas then floor when my car is already in motion, or am I suppose to floor it straight from beginning then release brakes?
2693, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by DStar97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I usually powerbrake it up to 1500, turn off the o/d and just mash the gas at the green light.

Thats my launch technique, but it will vary from car to car. Try it!
2727, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by dfresh, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i was reading a post in the auto section about the same thing...from what i read and tested i wouldn't worry about power brakin at all....I put it in 2nd and push 50 % throtle on the start then mash it.....they say that if u leave it in 2nd the car is faster.......feels like it is too me.....redline first (dont shift it will do it its self) then redline 2nd and shift too drive.....oh yeah......all ways keep overdrive off.....

dfresh
3136, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by ThE oRACLe, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the second gear launch was read in the manual of the eclipse .. in the manual it says its shifts faster ... somehow i doubt that ... ive had my auto now for 3 years and the best possible launch i have had so far is

depress break

lightly hit gas as soon as u hear an engine reaction .. release the break ... depress throttle 3/4 ..at around 4500 press foot all the way down & enjoy!! u know its done right when u feel a good pull after the break is released ... no chirp .press foot all the way down

power breaks work also ... just remember not to hit the stall speed .. than the tranny goes into safe mode ..
3160, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
^^^ he can do a baby burn out too kewl :)

3169, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I love my standard more and more :P
3213, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would put it in first, and power break to about 2000 rpms, then just floor it when the light turns green. How come some of you don't floor it off the line? I ran 17.15 with this method. You can even leave it in first, because the computer will automatically shift to second and third. Just keep your foot all the way down and don't bother manually shifting the lever.
3315, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by Phaxmohdem, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My first time at the track, thats all I did was power break and mash the gas at the light. when I do this my engine seems to "bog" down and it takes it to about 3-4K PRMS to straighten itself out and fir normally again. next time I'm going to try the 50-75% throttle method then gun it. I read a post about it and it makes perfect sense. when you gun it it off the bat it kills the timing and shit and the car kind of flouders searching for the best air/fuel/timing scheme resulting in lost HP and lost time. This seems to work better in practice on the street for me so I'll see what it does to my times. OH the best time I could run with the power break method was a 17.9 Thats with the Short RAM intake, GS-T exhaust, and UDP.

3351, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
<<just remember not to hit the stall speed .. than the tranny goes into safe mode .>>

HUH???
Please explain. :wary

-Tony
98'GST (soon to be neglected)
92'TSI AWD (soon to be modded) ;)

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM
3365, RE: Launching with an automatic
Posted by ThE oRACLe, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
power breaking makes a huge amount of heat .. the tcu thinks something is wrong with the trans and puts it into safe mode .. basically locking up way earlier than 3rd gear
I generated this page in 0.012112855911255 seconds, executing 7 queries.