Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectmaking my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=9988
9988, making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Although the readership here is kind of small, I'll ask anyway :) I am making a small run of 12" and 15" subs, to be built by the same guys that build and design all of Eclipse's, Audiomobile's, and Stryke's subs. Tell me what you guys look for in a sub.
I am thinking something with high power handling, in the 700-800 watt RMS range, a lot of excursion (at least 20mm one-way), and great sound quality with a huge presence in the under-40Hz range. One of my design goals is to have a 12" that sounds like a 15" when it comes to the low bass. The price point would be right around the $200usd mark, but it's too early to tell what sort of a deal I'll get so I can't promise anything about the money side of things (it might be way less, or it might be way more).
Pour your hearts out here, guys :)
9989, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Personally I wont spend $200 per sub for something that is just built and put on the market, I'd rather put my money towards a distinguished company. Thats just my personal opinion I'm sure a few others feel the same way. I know you said your not sure about that but just wanted you to know my thoughts on it. Good Luck tho with it, that would be awesome if you did start your own line. :twitch
9991, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Hopefully I can convince people do buy into the buildhouse rather then a fledging brand name. I only plan to sell 50 12" and 50 15" in an entire year :) the price point may very well dive into the low-$100 range depending on what TC Sounds says.
9992, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you can swing it..id prefer the suspention to be underhung, and a high EBP. i prefer a paper cone, iron magnet, and foam surround.

guess thats about it.
9997, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by rhui, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd buy one of your subs if it meets my requiresments :)
(From the getting more bass thread)
10004, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
this just in: the sub will probably only be around $150usd. :) still too early to cement any kind of pricing though. the plan is for 40 subs to go local, 10 subs for a 2GNT Limited Edition with a fancy backplate :)
10005, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
if i get one for free, i will hit a minimum of 130 dbs with it in my neon just to show that it can do. pictures/specs/recomendations will be posted here, at neons.org, and at sounddomain.com. want to sponser me?
10012, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
I'd have to think about it. I really have no idea :) if not right away, you definitely would get one down the line when I am ready to scale up production, probably the second run. and I would need more then a 130 :) I am not going to finalize the design until one 15" in a decent sized ported box can do 140 on 1,000 watts in my Talon :D

my other plan is you would get one before everyone else so I can get a few pre-orders so I can just get more subs up front. Still, it is too early to tell if the driver is even going to get to production, but no matter what there is going to be a few prototypes kickin around and you might get one those.
10006, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by satal95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
PM sent about the front bumper. Back to the topic how much difference will these subs be from a rockford fosgate hx2 because thats what i have rite now. i would be interested in a 12 if they do have the 2gnt emblem on it
10011, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
is it a punch HX2 or a power HX2?
this sub is going to be 700-800 watts RMS (so 200-300 more watts RMS then the Punch... I'm not going to bother with official peak ratings but just for comparison that is 400-600 more watts peak), higher excursion, and with a lot more emphasis on sound quality, so the bass will hit tighter and harder. Not only will the sub actually go louder, the harder the sub hits the louder it is perceived as, so if all you care about is volume this sub is better then either HX2, and if you want sound quality this one will blow away both HX2s.
10013, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by satal95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
power hx2, so then these subs would be better huh. also would these subs be dvc or single coil? just let me know when they r going to get produced because i would be interested in one of the limited edition 2gnt sub.
10014, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
dual 4 ohm voice coils
I think I will get a mostly black cone with a silver edge (sort of like gunmetal rims w/polished lips) just to have a distinctive look, for the 2GNT Limited Edition. The regular subs will have just a regular aluminum cone.
10015, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by rhui, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any chance you guys will be making any lower power dvc subs? :P Doesn't make sense I know, but I only got 200W rms to go around :).
10016, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by DJ420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'll buy 2, just let me know when you need the money. Dont forget!!!
10017, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
awesome man, send me a prototype if you want..ill give you input on what to keep/change and send it back to you if need be. ;)
10019, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
SPL: I want to try and keep it on my side of the border as much as possible (dutiiies).. but I will try and keep you in the loop as much as I can.

DJ420A: right on :) please give me your e-mail address and I will contact you when they are going to ship. 12" or 15"?

rhui: put it in a ported box and it will sound amazing on 200 watts. I am aiming to make them as efficient as possible, so 200 watts shouldn't be out of the question. it is dual 4 ohm coils though, so I am not sure if it will work with your Nakamichi very well.
10020, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by scothern, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't know how to explain it. I want a sub that doesn't really resonate to bad. I liek the bas to rumble but I feel I can get that from some good quality mid bass 6.5 componets. I want a 12" sub that slams like a mother.
10021, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
put the sub in a sealed box and set your crossover a little higher then normal and that would work. the problem is lower frequencies have less energy so sub bass is never going to shake things as much (unless it is a really, really loud sub). if you got a couple of these in 15" and put a lot of power to them you could probably get your clothes to ruffle like there was a stiff breeze and your car would flex like a mofo though.
10024, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I want to hear SPL's opinion on one of these before i consider buying one.
10034, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by scothern, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Honesdtly, anythign would be better hten my curretn set up.

2 Kicker impulse series 10's in a dual chamber ported bandpass box. Sounds alright but the bass is not clean at all.
10103, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I seconds what eclipse99 said.. I would like SPLs input on the sub before I would consider buying one.
10104, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by FlyinEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'll third the opinion of SPL. He know's his shit. I want it to be a great sound too. I have a power HX2 and in my opinion, that is a hard hitting, clean sound that will be hard to beat, especially for under $200. But, my sub is getting kind of old and making a funny noise now, so I'm interested if we get good feedback on them.

When do you think they will be done. PM me when you sell them, I will probably forget about this thread before the day is over. :)
10109, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I'll third the opinion of SPL. He know's his shit.

thats because SPL is especial :P

from a josh to another josh, i hand you the mic...lets hear what you gotta say docta of sound

edited because my fingers are unsually fat tonight

10110, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
um, i already posted in here guys. although id love to preview the sub, it would be quite difficult for bumpin to get me one...so i might just have to buy one when they come out. ;) then ill let you know what i think.
10155, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
Posted by VOTBLINDUB, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
idk im happy with my JL W7, hard to top that
10171, RE: making my own line of subs - tell me what you want
The build house went AWOL on me and all communication broke down. I'll try to start up the process after I get back from vacation, then I'll be a bit more ambitious with pursuing it.
The hardest part about keeping them cost effective is duties, because I have to pay ~15% tax to get them to me and probably the same amount to get them back to you (plus shipping charges). Having a partner to handle the sales on the south side of the border would be nice... but it's hard finding people to trust nowadays.

edit: but it is very nice to see so much interest :)
I generated this page in 0.010792970657349 seconds, executing 7 queries.