Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectIs it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=9651
9651, Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Alright, i have an 88120DVC 4ohm+4ohm eclipse sub, it takes 1000w peak 500rms.
I have a kenwood kac-7201 amp, it puts out 230x2@2 ohms, 460x1@4 bridged

So, If i hooked them both up in series, i'd only get 230w or so to the sub, and if i just hooked them up parrellel, i'd put the amp into protection if it was bridged. and if i just straight hooked them up, i'd only give each channel 4 ohms.... and i need to give each channell 2 ohms to get full power right? so, i'd have to buy another sub/amp which i am not going to do. is there some sort of resistor or something i can put inline to make it 1/2 the impedence?

If not, i was planning on just connecting one voice coil, since the sub itself can handle the 500rms, i'd put 460 just to one coil bridged. I was just curious if people do this or if this would ruin my coil.
9652, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by mrj82, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't run just one coil, wire it series and bridge it. Or you could run 1 coil on each channel, since you don't want to buy another sub/amp thats what I'd do.

Originally posted by Uberingram
I will burn you for not searching...then the stabbing.

I got the sonic if you got the boom.
9653, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
yeah, but im only getting half the power. only 230w rms right?

Does someone want to trade me for the 88120.4??? or an equivelent amp.
9654, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Yeah, the easiest thing to do is run 8ohm mono. Thats all the power your gonna get with that set up.

9655, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
But you would be getting that to each voice coil. So 230+230=460, and its not bridged, amp should be fine. Give it a try.

9656, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
wait what?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=2477

If i hooked my subs up to my amp, one coil per channel, then i'd put a 4 ohm load on each channel. so each channel would put out like, 150rms to each coil. right?

And if i bridged the channels, and i hooked them up the same way, it would over heat or go into protect mode, because two 4 ohm coils makes a 2 ohm load on 1 bridged channel, and then bridging it cuts the load in half again. so it would be a 1 ohm load, causing it to fuck up.

But if i wired it in series, then bridged it, it would be an 8 ohm load, and briding would cut it in half making it a 4 ohm load. still, only giving half the power it could be.

So, technically, if i want to get 460wx1, i have to have a SVC 4 ohm sub bridged, or a dvc 8ohm and wire it parralle....

And if i wanted to do it 230x2@2ohms, i'd have to have a dvc 2ohm sub right???

With my subs i'll either be 8 ohms bridged(then cut in half) or 150wx2@4ohms

And is there a possibility to run it series-parallel? how would you do that to a dvc sub, or is it possible...

9658, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Have you tried running that amp 2ohm mono? I've sold alot of those and we did it quite a few times, it worked just fine. If its going into protect from overheating maybe you need bigger power wire. What size are you running?

9663, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
1) no, dont run just one coil.
2) you are correct abou the power part..you will only get about half the rated power
3) doubling the power only raises the maximum possible SPL by 3db..hardly noticable to most people.
4) run the coils in series (total of 8ohms). if you run each coil off of a channel, you risk introducing non-linearities into the driver. running it in mono eliminates this.
5) you can try running it in 2ohm, but the amp overheat (as already stated). if so you can back down on the gain, but you would be at almost the same SPL output as if you ran it correctly in the first place.
6) upping the power wire does nothing for an overheating problem. well, unless the cable is overheating.
9664, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by CrazyEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That aluminum cone will STOMP if its powered right and correct cubic foot box. I had 2, pushed 700 to both. WOW is all I have to say.... and ouch.

I'm workin on it.... one thing after a f@#$ing nother! x(

08:48:53pm EclipseRST> crazy has anybody ever mistaken you for a chick on the boards
08:49:04pm turbo8u> LOL
08:49:07pm CrazyEclipse> i am a chick, you choad
08:49:09pm turbo8u> owned
9667, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Well if his power wire is too small its gonna help out a bunch. I can tell you from experience that kenwood amp runs fine on 8G, but if you do 2Ohm mono with it, your gonna need to step it up to 4G. I've sold quite a few like I said and we did them both ways depending on the subs the customer bought. I'd say give it a try and see, if it shuts down oh well its not gonna work. Hey crazy you should hear my 2000w pioneer spl subs :).

9668, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mrj82
Well if his power wire is too small its gonna help out a bunch. I can tell you from experience that kenwood amp runs fine on 8G, but if you do 2Ohm mono with it, your gonna need to step it up to 4G. I've sold quite a few like I said and we did them both ways depending on the subs the customer bought. I'd say give it a try and see, if it shuts down oh well its not gonna work. Hey crazy you should hear my 2000w pioneer spl subs :).
Originally posted by Uberingram I will burn you for not searching...then the stabbing.

Bullshit. Overcurrent is overcurrent if you have 8, 4, or 0 gauge wire. If that Kenwood isn't designed to handle 2ohms safely it doesn't matter how big you power wire is.

Now most amps will handle 2ohms if you're not stupid about it, but telling this guy to just put gauge to it isn't right.

Like I said before, get a better amp.
9670, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by mrj82 Well if his power wire is too small its gonna help out a bunch. I can tell you from experience that kenwood amp runs fine on 8G, but if you do 2Ohm mono with it, your gonna need to step it up to 4G. I've sold quite a few like I said and we did them both ways depending on the subs the customer bought. I'd say give it a try and see, if it shuts down oh well its not gonna work. Hey crazy you should hear my 2000w pioneer spl subs :).
Originally posted by Uberingram I will burn you for not searching...then the stabbing.
Bullshit. Overcurrent is overcurrent if you have 8, 4, or 0 gauge wire. If that Kenwood isn't designed to handle 2ohms safely it doesn't matter how big you power wire is. Now most amps will handle 2ohms if you're not stupid about it, but telling this guy to just put gauge to it isn't right. Like I said before, get a better amp.

Yeah your right, I was thinking of the 1000w kenwood mono block, its 1ohm stable. If you run 2ohm mono on that 800w its gonna see a 1ohm load and you will cook the basturd. Sorry I was tired as fuck when I posted that. Best thing you can do is buy a better amp or run yours 8ohm mono. And considering the fuse rating on that amp I'd run 4G anyway but it will work just fine on 8G. At least if you run 4G you won't have to upgrade your power wire if you step up to a bigger amp. So what size power wire are you running anyway?

9673, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by farmdogg55, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Those power ratings are for 14.4V too in case you didnt know. So the actual power will be less, maybe 25% less at 12V I think.

If you want to sell the amp let me know, it will actually work good for what I need it for.
9674, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by farmdogg55
Those power ratings are for 14.4V too in case you didnt know. So the actual power will be less, maybe 25% less at 12V I think. If you want to sell the amp let me know, it will actually work good for what I need it for.

Actually that's backwards. All amps are rated at 12v, but in the car they see 14.4v so the power is a little higher, but not enough to matter.
9685, RE: Is it ok to run full power to a single coil on a DVC sub?
the car battery is 12v, when the alternator kicks on its 14 I haven't hooked it up yet, i think its 8 ga power... maybe 4. i don't know.. prolly 8.
I generated this page in 0.011114120483398 seconds, executing 7 queries.