Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectremote starter in a manual car?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=9430
9430, remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by reaxion, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just got my Viper 791XV, waiting for my next paycheck to pay for install.

My question is this: Could you wire the remote start function to a manual transmission car? I hear its illegal in some places. Reason being, say someone parks your car in first and turns the car off. You hit the remote starter, bam you car jumps forward and into anything in front of it. So is it even a good idea to do this?
9431, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It can be done safely but you must understand the consequences if you do it wrong. The emergency brake can NOT be counted on to save you if you accidently leave the car in gear and then later attempt a remote start. Most professional installers will not do a remote start on a manual tranny due to the liability concerns. I love to tinker with electronics so I built a custom lockout using a proximity detector and a little ingenuity. Most people have had luck using magnetic reed switches to sense when the stick is in neutral and therefore prevent starting in gear.

My system uses a Keyance proximity detector to determine when the stick is in neutral. It is set up so there is no possible way to start the car without it either being in neutral or having the clutch depressed. As a backup failsafe measure I have two mercury tilt switches installed that will kill the motor if they sense forward or backward movement of the car. These switches also double as a anti-jacking device that triggers the alarm. I even went so far as to install a small two-color LED and an audible device reminder. When I go to park, I get a red LED and a soft warble tone to warn me that the stick has not be place in neutral when I'm exiting the vehicle. Bump the stick to neutral and the tone is silent and the LED glows green. Overkill probably but I liked the challenge.

If you do a search for the terms REED SWITCH and REMOTE START you'll probably find lots more info.
9432, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
thanks a bunch man, just what I needed to hear!

Where did you pick up that Keyance prox. detector BTW?
9433, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by reaxion
Where did you pick up that Keyance prox. detector BTW?

Found it at a local electronics scrap yard. I've seen them on eBay too.
9434, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
tell us how you did all this. i am getting a remote start also for my 5spd. this would be very useful(points) information for me. and others.
9446, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by ashah000, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just installed a Ultra Start alarm/remote start. I bought the one specifly for a manual. For the remote start to work the car has to be in "reservation mode". You put in in the mode by turning the car off with the car in nuetral and haveing the parking brake up and tapping the brake pedal twice. Then you can take the keys out and the car will still be running. Then you get out of the car and when the last door shuts it will turn the car off and be ready for remote starting. It sound complicated but it is not. And the alarm is uber sensitve :)
9451, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
interesting... where did ya get it?
9455, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
I got it from etronics.. it was the cheapest place I found it (77 shipped) Pretty damn cheap if you ask me.

Here is a link.. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=297&stk_code=ult2256m&svbname=403
9457, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Points for you. This is pretty much what i've been looking for. how is the alarm? and the keyless entry?
9461, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
The keyless entry is nice.. well its a keyless entry can't really be special :) The alarm is pretty damn sensitive! If I have the car armed in my garage and I walk into the house and slam the door behind me the alarm goes off. If someone leans on the car it will go off or at least give them a chirp warning.

I love the alarm. A lot of people have not even heard of the company. I went to Auto1 and they wanted 300+ for the alarm with install. LOL like that was going to happen. So I said fuck this and started to install it myself. I did not knowing what I was doing and never touched an alarm before but it was pretty simple. They have a install guide on their website. It was REALLY easy to install just takes some time.

Hope this helps
9464, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
awesome. enjoy the points :)
9507, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there are a couple of manufacturers that make alarms /remote starts for standard trans. A friedn used to own a shop and the one he installed in his brothers car was neat. after you shut the car off you need to push in the clutch a couple times and press a button on the remote i think than get out. The next time it is ready to remote start. I am not sure who makes it but i can find out if someone needs the info?

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges

97 Eclipse
Greddy header - Apexi N1 3" exhaust - SFMU/return line - Apexi SAFC - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: HKS EVC IV, 450 Turbo injectors, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

Mitchell on Demand copies available
9527, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by av8er, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have a compustar system in my eclipse, alarm/keyless entry/remote start, the system was designed for a manual. like stated above you have to leave the car in "reservation mode" to use the remote start function. I have yet to have problems with it, oh and the best part is the remote is 2-way with a 1.25 mile range!
9528, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Our shop just started carring the Ultra Start's. I've been a DEI installer for years, so its def a change. All I can say is Ultra start's range is AWSOME. Totally blows away DEI. As far as build quality, and simplicity of install/programming, its a bit more *bitchy* than DEI. We have done quite a few so far, and not one comeback yet, soo...I'm still partial to DEI, as they have a lot more technical install features that come in handy for some of these new technoed out car's electrical systems.

Oh, I have a RS in my manual, and i used 2 mercury switches. One switch is on the e-brake lever, and the other is mounted to my shifter, under the boot. If the shifter is forward in gear, the starter wont work, and if the brake isnt up, it wont work. Just be sure to get yourself in the habbit of putting it in N, and ebrake up.
9543, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, I use a magnetic switch used for window security that you can get from radio shack + an ebrake kill.

...my car *only* remote starts when in neutral and ebrake is engaged.
9582, RE: remote starter in a manual car?
^^

how would you wire that up? Im going out tomorrow to buy those parts.
I generated this page in 0.01429009437561 seconds, executing 7 queries.