Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectTweeters or whatever
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=8647
8647, Tweeters or whatever
Posted by SilverRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have an RS without the sound upgrade package. I just realized I have wires for where the speakers would go on the dash. Where do I get speakers that would fit there? I would prefer alipne type s to match my door and back speakers. I found 3.5 in. ones but I am not sure they will fit. Any input would be appreciated.
8648, RE: Tweeters or whatever
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there really isnt a name brand speaker made that will easily fit into that spot (without some fabrication). there is one speaker (cant remember name..it was an ebay special, lol) that fit perfectly in that spot, but most people just hollow out the factory part and install a (small) tweet from a component set w/ the midrange in the door.

BTW, how is your system setup? and why do you want to add another tweet up there? its going to sound VERY "tinny" and sibilant if you do that.
8671, RE: Tweeters or whatever
Right now I only have 6 1/2" front and back alipine type s. I don't know too much about stereo's. I thought that it would make a difference if I put some speakers up there. I don't have a sub or a good head unit yet, but I am planning on getting there after I finish my exterior. The set up sounds very good and the sound is very crisp, I just need a sub to go along with it. But anyways, is it a good idea to put some speakers there or should I just leave it alone?
8675, RE: Tweeters or whatever
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just leave it alone and concentrate your effort on getting a sub in there! if you are unhappy with it after adding the sub THEN consider adding extra stuff to the "highs". :thumbsup
8681, RE: Tweeters or whatever
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you want tweets to bring out the highs get a set of and mount them in the doors between your door handle bezel and your AC vent. That's where mine are and it's a great location. Don't put tweets on your dash. The angle of the dash will refract the tweeter frequency and cause a cancelation with your other highs in the vehicle causing that "tinny" sound Josh was talking about.

If you're just absolutely set on putting something up there get a 2" no-name brand mid range and cross them over from 1000-2500hz so they reproduce vocal tones. It will help your sound stage. But highs from 5000hz up will suck in that location.

And yes, I had some up there at one time and I took them out. I run Alpine Type R rear coaxials and Polk MOMO M6 Components in the doors and I put a set of Type R stand-alone tweets up there and ever cymbal hit or whenever someone stressed the letter "S" in a song it had a very distinct "tsstsstsstsstsstss" sound, it was aweful.
8696, RE: Tweeters or whatever
Thanks for your replies, now that I am on the subject I was think about getting a sub. I thought to go along with my set up it would be good to either get 1 10" or 1 12" Alpine type s. I saw somewhere that with the alpine sealed box they are like $200. Is that good? any advice? Also what kind of amp should I get to go along with that? Alpine? I'm not so big on money b/c I am a college student so I can't get expensive things.

Thanks
8705, RE: Tweeters or whatever
Posted by Eclipsemh2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have 1 10" type r alpine in my eclipse, its rated for 1000 watts but I only have about 400 clean watts going to it...Though it still sounds nice.
using a "deathbox" for my enclosure.
I generated this page in 0.013107061386108 seconds, executing 7 queries.