Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectI need Ideas for My trunk!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=7167
7167, I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by extreme97nt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey, I am looking into making a false floor/ sub box type setup in my trunk and was jsut looking for some Ideas. I would like to keep my spare due to the fact that I drive 50 miles to and from school daily. I will be getting new amps JL 5/500 and 2/300. I am also using a jl 10" sub. I am concidering getting another 10 or just 1 12. Which would sound better? Please post pictures of your setups. I did alot of searching but most of the pictures dont load up anymore. Also I was thinking about using a dense foam and fiberglass to make everything rather than mdf. Would this work?
Thanks
Paul
7168, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by Shockeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Look down somewhere below to see my false floor setup. You can't really have a false floory and keep your spare, or else you will have no trunk whatsoever.
7170, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by mitsuman297, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
what is your email address? I had a setup allowing me to use 1 12 with 3 amps and i still had my spare. The best part was, i still had some trunk space.
7174, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
My email is superjet3@aol.com.
Pictures would be awsome thanks so much.
7176, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by mitsuman297, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
alright man, i will send you some pics but not till tomorrow. I am busy today but will get them to you as soon as possible
7206, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Mitsuman how about those pictures?
7223, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by eklipsdrvr99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Here's my trunk. The spare tire is still under there.

7245, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by CrazyEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you go with one size, stay with that size, other wise the subs will not hit at the exact same time, creating a very akward sound. Its possible, but I wouldnt recomend it. The best thing to do if you want to keep your spare tire is buy one of those Tweeter boxes made from MDF put the subs in there, and mount the amps to the back of your seats. Thats what I did before doing my setup:

and I have no spare tire, couldnt get to it if I tried. Good luck to you!
7246, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that looks great crazy!

in my setup-before-last i had a configuration that retained about as much room as yours does, although i was using two 15"s in a 4 cubic foot box in the back of the hatch, w/ the two amps mounted toward the seats. it took about 15 minutes for me to disassemble it and get to the spare, but i just dont feel confortable without one.

my suggestion is this: make everything modular. mount your amps (if in trunk) in a seperate "box", mount the subs in a box, and make a velcro-secured baffle that covers everything up (like the tan one in crazys pic). then, all you have to do is remove the cover, remove the sub box and spare tire cover, and you have access. my box weighed about 150 lbs, so i had to remove the subs from the box before lifting it out, but it was still worth it to retain the spare. unless you plan to fiberglass the well, i would MUCH rather tear up my install a bit to fix a flat then not have it there at all.
7256, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by orzech, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
here is my box i made:
20 bucks for fiberglass
15 for the carpet
5 for the spray adhesive
7000 for my own labor, hahah

7257, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Thanks for the Ideas Guys. I am still thinking of things.
7273, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by Mr Pink, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Edit - Warning: this is probably pretty uncomprehendible.

Here's my trunk from the back of the car.. simple, yet complex:

I'll attempt to explain. Traced out that cheesy spare tire cover onto a huge piece of plywood. Cut that out. I cut the piece that was just cut out into 3 and put hinges on it so it folds up for easy access to the spare tire well where I put a second battery(your spare will fit instead). I attached 2x4's to the bottom of that part so it was level with the place where the amp was to make it look flat. For the part where the back seat was, I measured out a piece where it slants down, then a piece where your ass went on the back seats then attached those pieces somehow.. I dont remember exaclty how.. I'll look later. I ran the wires up through the center console and out the back, up the slant area under the wood and around to the amp so they are less exposed, do this before you install the platform. Then I carpted with sub box carpet. Here's an attempted diagram:

White lines are where I put the hinges, white dots are where I know it was attached. Make sure your amp and shit is bolted down too, otherwise it likes to slide all over the place.

Tips: don't drink and do this, it will take longer, I put my hinges under the carpet, get piano hinges from Menards/Home Depot/Lowes. Total install time was a long time, but I was creating as I went. If I did it again, it wouldn't take that long. This has gotten me lots of complements at shows and the best thing is, it was pretty cheap and simple. Those are 4 audiobahn 12"s if you were wondering. Sorry for the insanely long post. Good luck with your install. :thumbsup
7274, RE: I need Ideas for My trunk!
Posted by DocWhiplash, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Heres some pics of mine

I generated this page in 0.008418083190918 seconds, executing 7 queries.