Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjecthow to install EQ?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=7120
7120, how to install EQ?
Posted by FarOutKucki, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i recently picked up an EQ for free from a friend and all it has in the back is 4 sets of RCA plugs. do i need to have an amp running my speakers for the EQ to work? heres what i get...

input from head unit
output to subs

heres where i get confused...

speakers front
speakers rear

what do i do for my speakers?

-joe
7121, RE: how to install EQ?
Posted by dudasd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>i recently picked up an EQ for free from a friend and all it
>has in the back is 4 sets of RCA plugs. do i need to have an
>amp running my speakers for the EQ to work? heres what i
>get...
>
>input from head unit
>output to subs
>
>heres where i get confused...
>
>speakers front
>speakers rear
>
>what do i do for my speakers?
>
>-joe

Assuming that you mean the front and rear speakers are RCA's also, then your gonna need seperate amps for each set of speakers, the EQ has a built in X-over to it and in the end will give you a far better sound. Hope that helps, more info would be nice though...
7124, RE: how to install EQ?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
4 sets of RCA's? That's one input and three output.

You need a four channel amp and a sub amp for that to work. The Front and Rear outputs go to your four channel to run your mids and highs and the sub obviously goes to the sub.
7129, RE: how to install EQ?
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
^^^unless he meant 4 RCA single plugs, indicating 2 RCA stereo connections (front and rear).

i dont think ive ever seen an EQ that had speaker level outputs, unless its one of those cheap eq/"booster" things you can get at swapmeets for 15 bucks. so assuming that, it should go like this

headunit RCA output(s)--->EQ RCA input(s)---->amplifier(s) RCA inputs -----> speaker wire outputs--->speakers.

of course, you dont HAVE to EQ the whole system. you could run the back speakers off the headunit and only use the EQ/amp to tun the front speakers if you want. just depends on how many channls of amplifiers you have, lol.
7133, RE: how to install EQ?
Posted by FarOutKucki, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i had 4 SETS of RCA's. so the rca's for the front and rear need to go into an amp? basically im deciding if i should keep it or sell it...
7137, RE: how to install EQ?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>i had 4 SETS of RCA's. so the rca's for the front and rear
>need to go into an amp? basically im deciding if i should keep
>it or sell it...

Yes....the only way, and I mean ONLY way you won't need an amp is if you get one of the Kenwood head units from a few years ago that has Front/Rear RCA inputs. They used to have a headunit that you could send signal down to an eq and back up to the head unit...but they haven't made that in like 4-5 years.

I would say either get amps or sell it. Since you got it for free maybe you should give it away.
I generated this page in 0.014436006546021 seconds, executing 7 queries.