Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectAlright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=5845
5845, Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I guess I deserve this, because I had an amp installed about 6 months ago when I bought the car (I know how to do it, i'm just sick of it, I HATE intalling amps, i'd rather pay the 50 bucks ) and ever since my radio reception has been CRAP. furthermore, to turn on the amp I have to raise the antenna with the radio button...i'd really like to improve reception/keep the antenna permanently down, any ideas? How hard is it to trace the wiring from the reciever all the way back to the antenna?

matt

P.S. I still have the stock head unit, shoudl I just trash it and get somethin' nice?

5846, RE: Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sounds similar to this thread:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=5828&mesg_id=5828&page=

the remote turn-on lead for the amp was tapped off of the power antenna turn-on wire, so the only time the amp comes on is with the radio. to fix that, you can change that wire to anything thats only powered up when the key is in the acc. and on positions. i believe the + cig lighter wire is like this.

as far as bad reception, perhaps the antenna was never plugged back into the headunit when the installers were putting the amp in? theres a thread about 4 or 5 down from this one on bad reception, you might want to look at that.
5849, RE: Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
jsut tap into the same one that turns the radio on when the key's in the acc. position. it's right there in the harness with the antenna one. they prolly just tapped into the wrong line. i forget what color it is though...

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Hanabi 8000k HID
SPAL Deluxe Power Windows
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM Rotors

255 is fricken short
5850, RE: Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
Thanks guys I really appreciate it...

matt
5851, RE: Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
mcubed45 is refering to the solid blue wire in the factory headunit harness. you could tap this as well to use it as a remote turn-on lead. i just suggested the cig. lighter wire because its easier to access. theres plenty of ways to do it.
5860, RE: Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
This is kinda beginnerish, but if I tap the cig lighter will it put too much load on the little wire if I use a radar detector as well long term?

matt
5861, RE: Alright I 've got one for you....antenna up when amp on?
in response to the above question ^^^^

its doubtfull. i believe that wire is fused at 10 amps (not sure though, could be 5), so check in the manual for the radar detector and see what the amperage draw is. ive never owned a radar detector, do they come with fuses? if so check the fuse size. i would imagine that it would only draw 3 or so amps at the VERY most. the remote turn on for a single amplifier only requires about .2-.3 amps, so your fine there.

in any case, the wire is fused, so you dont have to worry about breaking anything or starting electrical fires. the fuse will blow and youll know that its time to change the wiring.
I generated this page in 0.012568950653076 seconds, executing 7 queries.