Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectAttn audio gurus...Urgent.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=3524
3524, Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by Chris_FL, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have an opportunity to get a good deal on this:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=28&sortBy=price&productId=121

I really wanted an equalizer to fine tune my sound. Will this do it? I have a RF 250a2 pushing my subs and a RF 200a4 pushing my inside speakers. They already have built-in crossovers. Basically my question is will this do what I want (serve as an equalizer)?
3525, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by BlitzdEclipse99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You'll be able to fine tune your sound that, it's adequate. If you were going for all-out SQ then you might need something more, but it'll impress you and really the overall sound of your car.
3526, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by dudasd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If your looking for an EQ then that won;t work very well. It's a X-over not an EQ. If you want an EQ then you need to find something like this....
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=28&sortBy=price&productId=91

That will work alot better for your purposes since oyu already have X-overs in your amps....
3527, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Yeah, the difference in a cross-over and an eq is that the cross-over sends varable signal to your amp. For example you have control on your subs and 4channel up front and you can decide you want 80hz and below going to your sub and 80hz and above going to your 4channel.....or you can raise it or lower it at will. These are awesome because amp cross-overs are usually either on/off or vary hard to tweak since they rarely have notch notation as to where you are on that frequency curve.

And EQ will allow you to fine tune the frequencies going to your amp. I have a Rockford Fosgate OEQ1 I'll sell to you if you want it. $25 with shipping :)
3528, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
above is a really good deal! nice eq.

in my opinion money is better spent in better speakers or better mounting locations to perfect spectral balance and staging. conversly, eqs are a lot of fun to play with, but sometimes they are hardly used beyond their initial settings.

what are you trying to achieve with the EQ? perhaps that is the real question here. if, for example, you are not happy with the midbass of your front speakers, an EQ will not solve your problems. if you need to "tame" a bit of your system however (say for example you had a sybilance problem), an eq might be perfect.
3529, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by dudasd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
^^^^^^^^ what he said and the following....
If your looking to balance everything perfectly with the EQ then your definitely gonna want to either find a shop or somebody with an RTA to really get your sound right. The built in X-overs in your amps are probably decent but if you are trying to fully balance everything then your either going to want to get an active X-over or once you RTA it spend some time making some passive ones that are tuned precisely where you need them to be. Alot will depend on speaker locations as well, and of course the quality of the speakers. Quality by far overcomes quantity, back in the day when Mark Fakuda was the reigning SPL king he would go from the SPL arena right over to the SQ lanes and win there too with nothing but a pair of 6.5's and some tweeters inside the cab of the truck. Also remember that a truly perfect sound stage will be rather flat and dull sounding, but it will win everytime with an RTA but probably not with your friends ears. Most of the time for average daily use depending on the quality of your HU, all you should really need is a X-over and then fill in any missing sounds with the adjustment on your HU if it's a decent one. Hope the long winded info helps, and good luck with everything. :)
3530, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by Chris_FL, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for all your responses. Great help. I didn't get the X-over. Thanks also for the offer on the EQ, I would take it in a heartbeat. I just wanted something I can control from inside the car easily.

You know how it is, you play one CD and it sounds great, the next one sounds like shit. Now you gotta change all your settings. I just want a good sounding system. I enjoy my music very much. I don't want the whole Bass thing. I enjoy that once in a while, but not regularly. My car can drop if it has to. ;)

I have a rockford 250a4 pushing my inside speakers. I have Blaupunkt Components up front(very happy with)and some Pioneers 3-way in the back(they sounded fine until I got my components, now they sound like crap. Will be replaced soon) And a rockford 250a2 pushing 3 MTX blue thunder 10-inch subs. Now that you know my set up, any other recomendations to really fine tune it.
3531, RE: Attn audio gurus...Urgent.
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

What kind of head-unit do you have? I have an Alpine 7863 which has a lot of controls over your sound...not just bass and treble. That sucker has internal low pass/high pass crossovers, bass treble boost point selection, and everything (variable of course). So with that eq I had I could set it and forget it because if something sounded weird I could do a lot of adjustments in my head unit. Get a damn good head unit and some kind of eq or cross over that you can control from your stereo area. Alpine makes a din sized eq that is a perfect fit for our double din cars....but they are kinda costly ;)
I generated this page in 0.0077979564666748 seconds, executing 7 queries.