Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectok, i got the sub
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=1623
1623, ok, i got the sub
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i got the sub and everything is in there and what not, but i thought the wiring kit came with enough wire to wire the system. Of course it doesnt and i need some suggestions on what wire to buy. As far as the RCA plugs, is there any particular ones I need to get or should any set be fine. Money is kinda tight since I bought those tires and hell, im in college. I want to install this thing asap so if I cant afford whats best i will go with what works without causing probs. So let me know how much moola were talking here. It also came with a fuse and i want to know should I wire this before the additional wire gets added or should i add it right before the battery, or does it matter?? TIA
1624, RE: ok, i got the sub
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'll try and make this short and simple.
10 guage power wire fused at the battery(30 amp fuse should do)
10 guage ground crimped to ring terminal bolted to bare metal
either shielded rca's or "twisted pair" rca's ran on opisite sides of the power wire. Twisted pair rca's are the best choice of keeping induced noise out of the system, but for a sub, any shielded rca will be fine. You can use a smaller guage wire for the turn on wire, maybe the same as on the turn on lead off the head unit...This is really all you need. Dont go to best buy or whatever to get the wire, go to any stereo shop and ask for about 15 feet of power wire, and about 3 or 4 feet of ground, and all the other stuff. It will be cheaper, usually.
1625, RE: ok, i got the sub
Posted by jZa, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
4 GUAGE wiring kits are really cheap on eBay, chances are you will want to upgrade and the 10 guage isn't going to be enough.
You can get rca's on ebay too, i like stinger for the price, i got hyper by stinger, nice look and good quality
1626, RE: ok, i got the sub
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't forget to get ring terminals too. I would get at least 8 gauge wire, and maybe 4 gauge if you plan on upgrading later (you should use same gauge for ground and power). I use 12 gauge for the speaker wire for the subs. Also, get some good RCA's and not some cheap ones. If your RCA's cross your power cable, they should intersect at a 90 degree angle, and make sure you run power and RCA cables on opposite sides of the car. I would just get the wiring stuff at a local stereo shop, or buy a complete kit from ebay. Oh, also you need an inline fuse within 12 inches of the battery. They aren't cheap though - streetwires ones are around 20 bucks. And 4 gauge power wire is about 20 bucks more. It all adds up, so it might be cheaper to buy a kit.
1627, RE: ok, i got the sub
well ive been reading the manual and it says to use atleast 16 gauge wire, which is what the wires in the wiring kit are. I take it that the smaller the number the thicker the wire, right?? So I need to get atleast 10 gauge wires and either shielded or twisted RCA plugs. The inline fuse came with the sub, so i dont have to worry about that. Well ill start searching for the stuff tomorrow then. And ring terminals, the kit came with one ring terminal, so i only need one more
1628, RE: ok, i got the sub
yeah larger guage wire will be ok, but 10 is plenty for your bazooka sub. And you don't need any speaker wire, since its a bazooka sub! Heavier guage wire is ALOT more expensive, and my reasoning for the 10 guage is cost wise, since it is suficient for your application. But if you think you will upgrade later, do a 4 guage wire to save some hassle...and a fuse holder for a 10 guage should be no more than 10 bucks, if not, you are getting ripped! It just uses simple ATC fuses, not the glass buss fuses which are more expensive and so are the fuse holders...since you said you wanted the most cost effective way in all :). You got the 10" powered sub which can't draw any more than 15-amps full volume, if that. 10 guage wire run at about 15 feet from the battery to the trunk, should be capable of at least 30 amps of current going throug it, if not more. This is the MOST cost effective way to get that sub bumpin, but if you have some extra cash, go with larger wire for future amp upgrades...
1629, RE: ok, i got the sub
hahah oopps just saw your reply 1tuff! Yeah, the amp inside that bazooka dont draw much at all, esp saying that it only need 16 guage! What size ring terminals did it come with? They need to be for 10 guage wire if you are going to get 10 guage. Also, the fuse holder needs to be the same guage wiring as the power wire. So if the fuse holder is the 16 guage they talk about, you must get a 10 guage holder! Coo??
1630, RE: ok, i got the sub
Ok, after thinkin about your situation, here is my best and most COST EFFECTIVE way to hook up your sub. You can take this advise for what its worth(i'm an MECP certified installer, been doin it for years, and have college electrical classes too). Here is what you do. Go to your local Meijer, yep Meijer. Go to the automotive section and get a prepackaged roll of red wire(should have 16 guage). Get same guage black, and for your remote turn on, some blue. Get some ring terminals to fit the wire. You already have the fuse holder. They should have some decent rca's, if in doubt, hit up best buy and look in the home audio dep for the Recoton shielded rca's. You should be able to get all this for about 20 bucks!! Don't screw around with ebay, or stero shops. When you hook up the power, tap into your ingnition cylinder harness under the driver dash, and fuse your power wire there, and just take it back to the trunk. That little amp in that bazooka don't draw shit for power, since they only recomend 16 guage wire, which is about the same guage as the wire on your radio's wire harness. This is the CHEAPEST, and EASIEST way to make this thing work, but if you want to upgrade in the near future, go with larger wire. Even 10 guage wire should be able to run a 200 watt rms amp with no problems at all. I hope this helps, and I just want to make it clear as to what you reall need to have to make what you have work. There, i am done :)
1631, RE: ok, i got the sub
uuumm, what is a meijer?? never heard that before. Im taking it that that is a store, but is there another one i could go to.
1632, RE: ok, i got the sub
haha..yep my bad, its a big ass store with damn near everything, but forgot they are only in the tristate area i think, MI, OH, IN. Places like walmart, K mart, hell, even home depot in the electrical section will have some wire and all the stuff you need. They should have some rca's too in the home video section also, so check that out. If in doubt, just go to a stero shop, and tell em what you need. I would say it shouldn't be any more than 30 bucks for everything...
1633, RE: ok, i got the sub
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to run a system with only 16 gauge power wire?? That's smaller than my sub wire. In fact, I think that my a/f ratio gauge power wire was 16 or 18 gauge (and that thing only draws power to light up LEDs). Are you sure the bazooka only needs 16 gauge? Seems really small, even for a cheap amp. If in fact it does only need 16 gauge, I would still recommend 8 gauge power wire because you ARE going to want to upgrade in the near future once you get addicted to bass, and want some more hehe...
1634, RE: ok, i got the sub
I bought an amp wiring kit from walmart for 20 bucks. It comes with basically everything I need. It comes with 17ft of 8gauge power cable wire, 4ft of 8 gauge ground wire, 17ft of blue femote wires, an AGU in-line fuse holder, 24kt gold plated connectors, fuse and instructions. Will this suffice??
1635, RE: ok, i got the sub
hell yeah, for 20 bucks, you can't beat that! The only thing you didn't mention is the rca's. Not sure if it came with those, but that should be all you really need to get you bumpin. Any other q's, just speak up. Have fun :)
1636, RE: ok, i got the sub
oh yeah they are in there too
I generated this page in 0.0089731216430664 seconds, executing 7 queries.