Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectBox Building
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=1574
1574, Box Building
Posted by IntenseEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How do i build a really good looking box while keeping it light. Im worried about the extra weight slowing me down. I have $2300 in my system now and only my components and my head unit installed because im still trying to figure out how to do this. any help or info would be appreciated! Could you please post some pics of your system also
1575, RE: Box Building
Posted by 99Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There really isn't a way around it as far as weight is concerned, what subs do you plan on running?
1576, RE: Box Building
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You really can't have the best of both worlds when it comes to big bass and too much weight. If you want just to add some bass to your music, go with a single 10" sub designed for a small sealed box. This set up using 3/4" mdf wood for the box should weigh no more than 20-25 pounds. You could do a fiberglass box, but the time it takes to make a good one, isn't worth the weight trade off. A good, properly built fiberglass box will weigh the same or slightly less then a wood box..Try to maybe find a 12" sub designed for a small ported box, this should give you more bass in less space also...
1577, RE: Box Building
Posted by dudasd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just remember to build the box to the proper specs for whatever sub you buy. If not you'll either have horrible sounding bottom end, or you might just blow the sub. If you go with wood, some key things to remember....At every junction of the wood make sure you use liquid nails, and after you get it all together make sure to line every seam inside with a line of silicone. Best to use for wood is definitely 3/4" MDF. You can get by with particle board if you get the fine flake not the big flake. Just don't use plywood. Use drywall screws to hold it all together, they give the best holding with the large grooves on them. If you decide to go fiberglass be ready for a long drawn out build. Mine took about 3 weeks to get everything right and let it all set-up right. One last note, whenever you do get it done and drop your subs in, don't crank them to full volume right away, give it about a day or 2 of moderate volume to let the subs settle into the airspace, it will definitely prolong the life if your subs.
1578, RE: Box Building
Try www.ampmanaudio.com they make custom boxes out of a lighter plastic but strong material. They can be pricy though.
1579, RE: Box Building
Posted by IntenseEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im gonna put 2 12's , they are jl w3's, 500/1 monoblock amp and playstation 2.
1580, RE: Box Building
Don't worry about the extra weight that much, with the amount of weight you'll be adding you will suffer minor performance losses. I have a pretty massive system and to tell you the truth the only performance aspect I found degraded was my handleing around corners and such.. don't sweat it..
I generated this page in 0.0090599060058594 seconds, executing 7 queries.