Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectStupid car..
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=1441
1441, Stupid car..
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, i guess it isn't the amp. It's been disconnected for a week and my battery is still running down when the car isn't driven. Guess it's omething else.. What else can i check? The battery itself came back fine. Alternator's brand new.
1442, RE: Stupid car..
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
HEY! If it's not the amp, this does not belong in the audio section! This post needsta be moved! :P
1443, RE: Stupid car..
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
make sure all your remote wires are wired properly and not wired in to your powers, otherwise you will be draining juice nonstop.
1444, RE: Stupid car..
Posted by brynden29, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Man, if you are draining power it could be to anything. What you could do is at night, start pulling, one at a time, the non esential fuses. Let it sit over night and see if you can at least narrow it down. Just a thought.
1445, RE: Stupid car..
Posted by sd_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
About the only thing left that I can't think of is a bad relay that is stuck open. Finding it would be a huge PITA though so I hope that is not your problem.
1446, RE: Stupid car..
Posted by mkerley, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
One place to start like they said is the fuse box. Unplug everything that you've wired in that isn't necessary to drive and check overnight like before. I think you said before you've hooked up most everything...so what else have you hooked up to your power?

If you have a voltmeter, you might be able to do it quicker than overnight. Hook it up across the battery. With the car off, it should be stable. If it's draining (even slowly), you should be able to see it if your meter reads enough decimal places (3 should be plenty).
Start unhooking suspect wires until it stops draining.

1447, RE: Stupid car..
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah your best bet is to start pulling fuses. Start with the ones you might be suspect of. Try to find a "clamp on" amp meter. Maybe someone you know has one, or maybe a buddy or friend at a shop...Clamp over the negative batt cable, and watch how many amps are being drawn. It should be drawing nearly nothing, 200 milliamps or less, if not, start pulling fuses and keep checking to see if the amp draw has gone down. This is going to be the easiest way. I know my meter cost me like almost 300 bucks, but it does damn near anything. Or you can go the route of going one fuse at a time overnight too, but that will take freakin forever. Try to find a clamp on ampmeter somewhere...its your best bet...
I generated this page in 0.012765884399414 seconds, executing 7 queries.