Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectSubwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=11703
11703, Subwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Posted by 1999Eclipt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey all, my friend is upgrading his system and he gave me his old 12 inch sub and amp, he said the amp is all wired to the sub i just need to "plug and play" there are two inputs open that i see so im assuming one goes to a power source and one to the radio, I have the stock Cd/Cassette player in the car rightn now. Im not sure how to connect the woofer to the Radio, the power i can deal with. I searched and there was one write up, but the link was dead. Any pictures of the back of the radio would help so i know what to look for.
Thanks in advance (yea i know im a car audio nooob)
11704, RE: Subwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Posted by joeck76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
theres nothing in the back of the radio you can hook a sub to if your factory, what you need to do is get the signal from your rear speakers and run that signal to an rca cable and than plug and play but sound quality would be crap, you might wanna think about getting another aftermarket radio with rca jacks for a sub out. also there should be on the amp, a spot for 12v Power, a ground, a remote wire and somewhere to hook your input signal via rca or what ever.
11705, RE: Subwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Posted by 1999Eclipt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok, yea i was thinking about getting a pioneer 8500 for like 120 jsut so i wouldnt have to put up with the stock crap anymore, Thanks
11716, RE: Subwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Posted by VOTBLINDUB, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you need an aftermarket deck. run a power wire from the battery with a fuse on it no further away than 18 inches from the battery. use the same fuse as on the amp itself. if the amp fuses say 30 each and theres 2, get a 60 amp fuse to put on ur power wire. use those round tube looking ones, not the small square colored ones. run the power wire (get a 4 gauge to be safe) to a distro/fuse block in the trunk. put in a fuse in there before the amp and run a wire from that to the amp. also get a 0.5 farrad cap just to be on the safe side to save your electricals. plug it near the power wire connection to the distro w/out fuse and ground it. ground the amp with a piece of 4 gauge no longer than 3 feet. you have to keep the ground wires the same as power in order to not get resistance building up and feedinch back into the electrical components. run the light blue(usually) remote wire from the deck along the power wire and plug it into the amp. run a ser of RCA's from the deck's sub output into the input on the amp. get a 16 gauge or so wire for the sub and connect accordingly. turn the gain not more than 25% up. never crank it or itll distort and fart like mad. if theres a switch on the amp for a low pass or high pass filter, put it on low. connect your speakers back to the deck and go to an audio shop to get it tuned properly, cuz 99% im too far from ya and cant help. i made you a diagram. if you need more help, IM me. ill walk you through it if u want.
11786, RE: Subwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
or there should be a spot on the amp where you can use the stock speaker wire to provide an input to the amp.

Left Channel and Right Channel.

it should be a square port on the amp... ask your buddy if he saved that piece (most amps come with one of them)
11844, RE: Subwoofer wireing ( isearched before)
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't know if you checked on that, but I do have 2 of those wire harness' and they should plug into any amp (I'll post a pic of the spot i'm talking about if you want).

It's a square shaped plug with 4 connections in it. It can be wired into any FACTORY car system using the stock wiring (just splice it in)...

BUT... Pre-Outs would be a MUCH better way of doing it. Aftermarket head-units are cheap these days.

Hell, I got my Alpine for $200, 50W x 4,CD, MP3, XM ready, and even takes an Ipod.
I generated this page in 0.0090060234069824 seconds, executing 7 queries.