Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectQuestion On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=10046
10046, Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I bought a Clarion 4 Channel amp that is 400 watts awhile ago. I had intended to use it with a Infinity stock setup. Plans changed. But I am curious on where it would be beneficial to hook that amp up to my stock speakers in the front and my cheapy Dual 6*9s in the back. Do you guys think there would be any advantage to using the amp to power the speakers over my Pioneer headunit pushing 50*4
10047, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
I bought a Clarion 4 Channel amp that is 400 watts awhile ago. I had intended to use it with a Infinity stock setup. Plans changed. But I am curious on where it would be beneficial to hook that amp up to my stock speakers in the front and my cheapy Dual 6*9s in the back. Do you guys think there would be any advantage to using the amp to power the speakers over my Pioneer headunit pushing 50*4

First of all stop what you're doing and talk to an audio professional. You're going 20 different directions at once and you need help in person getting a lot of questions answered. Questions that you may not even know you'll be asking.

1. You're currently running a load imbalance. Your front speakers are 8ohms a piece and the rear are 4ohms a piece. This is horrible for your head unit and is placing stress on it's internal amplifier. It will make your soundquality go down and may fry your head unit.

2. Putting 100watts (if that is the RMS...don't tell me about peak, I don't care what "peak" is) then you will blow the voice coils out of those speakers. All 4. 100 watts is way too much for stock speakers. Your Pioneer isn't putting out 50 watts either. That's a "peak" number and that number doesn't mean shit unless you have it turned all the way up. That pioneer is probably putting out 15.5 or 17.5 watts max.

3. Head unit amplifiers do not have the power reserves or the amplification range to even come close to matching an external amplifier. External amplificaion is better but you need......

4. Better speakers. That's the quickest and best way to make any system sound better. If you have stockers up front and "cheapos" in the rear of course it's going to sound like shit. And any amplifier is just going to make it sound like louder shit.
10051, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Posted by Eclipsemh2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR I bought a Clarion 4 Channel amp that is 400 watts awhile ago. I had intended to use it with a Infinity stock setup. Plans changed. But I am curious on where it would be beneficial to hook that amp up to my stock speakers in the front and my cheapy Dual 6*9s in the back. Do you guys think there would be any advantage to using the amp to power the speakers over my Pioneer headunit pushing 50*4
First of all stop what you're doing and talk to an audio professional. You're going 20 different directions at once and you need help in person getting a lot of questions answered. Questions that you may not even know you'll be asking. 1. You're currently running a load imbalance. Your front speakers are 8ohms a piece and the rear are 4ohms a piece. This is horrible for your head unit and is placing stress on it's internal amplifier. It will make your soundquality go down and may fry your head unit. 2. Putting 100watts (if that is the RMS...don't tell me about peak, I don't care what "peak" is) then you will blow the voice coils out of those speakers. All 4. 100 watts is way too much for stock speakers. Your Pioneer isn't putting out 50 watts either. That's a "peak" number and that number doesn't mean shit unless you have it turned all the way up. That pioneer is probably putting out 15.5 or 17.5 watts max. 3. Head unit amplifiers do not have the power reserves or the amplification range to even come close to matching an external amplifier. External amplificaion is better but you need...... 4. Better speakers. That's the quickest and best way to make any system sound better. If you have stockers up front and "cheapos" in the rear of course it's going to sound like shit. And any amplifier is just going to make it sound like louder shit.

great advice imo
10052, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Eclipsemh2k
Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR I bought a Clarion 4 Channel amp that is 400 watts awhile ago. I had intended to use it with a Infinity stock setup. Plans changed. But I am curious on where it would be beneficial to hook that amp up to my stock speakers in the front and my cheapy Dual 6*9s in the back. Do you guys think there would be any advantage to using the amp to power the speakers over my Pioneer headunit pushing 50*4
First of all stop what you're doing and talk to an audio professional. You're going 20 different directions at once and you need help in person getting a lot of questions answered. Questions that you may not even know you'll be asking. 1. You're currently running a load imbalance. Your front speakers are 8ohms a piece and the rear are 4ohms a piece. This is horrible for your head unit and is placing stress on it's internal amplifier. It will make your soundquality go down and may fry your head unit. 2. Putting 100watts (if that is the RMS...don't tell me about peak, I don't care what "peak" is) then you will blow the voice coils out of those speakers. All 4. 100 watts is way too much for stock speakers. Your Pioneer isn't putting out 50 watts either. That's a "peak" number and that number doesn't mean shit unless you have it turned all the way up. That pioneer is probably putting out 15.5 or 17.5 watts max. 3. Head unit amplifiers do not have the power reserves or the amplification range to even come close to matching an external amplifier. External amplificaion is better but you need...... 4. Better speakers. That's the quickest and best way to make any system sound better. If you have stockers up front and "cheapos" in the rear of course it's going to sound like shit. And any amplifier is just going to make it sound like louder shit.
great advice imo

x2

keep the amp, buy some decent used speakers. shit, you can find JL XRs for $150ish + shipping which is a bitchin price on an even more bitchin set of speakers. external amps own HU power though. the head unit is maybe 20 watts, tops, like he said, and the external amp will just sound better.
10053, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Ok, I installed the amp and am only running the back speakers off on it. And Holy Shit! Is it loud. Really clear too, just cant pump a whole lot of bass out of it.
10054, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Ok, I installed the amp and am only running the back speakers off on it. And Holy Shit! Is it loud. Really clear too, just cant pump a whole lot of bass out of it.

So why do you ask questions then don't listen?
10055, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
I don't understand what your trying to tell me? I didn't put the fronts on the amp because you said they would blow.
10056, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
I don't understand what your trying to tell me? I didn't put the fronts on the amp because you said they would blow.

Upgrade your speakers, then put in an amp. Having over amplified rear speakers and front stockers has got to be the worst sounding stereo in history. Hell for $50 I'll ship you my Alpine TypeR 6.5 coaxials for the front if you want them. My radio is blown so I have no use for them anyway.
10057, RE: Question On Whether To Hook Up An Amp
Sure, I'll buy them if you hold them for a week until I sell the subs sitting in my room, then I'll have money.
I generated this page in 0.013521909713745 seconds, executing 7 queries.