Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #800
View in linear mode

Subject: "From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it" Previous topic | Next topic
cyb3r_shyNov-12-08 09:56 PM
Member since Feb 01st 2008
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#800, "From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
Nov-12-08 10:04 PM by cyb3r_shy

I am newly register, but i've been stalking the forums for over a year, and i decide it was time for me and my baby(fugly RS project) to actually start.

I got the car from a cruel parent, the interior was a mess,
-white rattle can paint on the vinyl,
-screwed in passenger side airbag cover (with all 22 screws showing),
-passenger door with some major crash damage,
- front bumber mostly gun, (i bought a new OEM bumber and my friend sidewalked it 3 weeks later)
- the car is3 different colors right now: front OEM black bumber with some fiberglass to hold it together, white doors i bought (power windows and lock upraded from gst) and the old gray color with 2 panels newly paint it to conceal the old work done to the car the week i got it.

well thats just some of the mess I walked into, but i have faith that my car will reclaim its glory. with the help and guidence of myy fellow 2gnt-onians

car is completly stock...(ecpet NGK iridium spark plugs-racing spark wires- and i only run 91 on it) and im going to start prepping it for paint as soon as i get the rest of the gst sideskirts.

so let the fiesta begin.

pics will be up over the weekend

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-13-08 08:39 AM, #1
RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-13-08 09:12 AM, #2
      RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, djtrickee, Nov-13-08 11:03 AM, #3
      RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-13-08 11:54 AM, #4
           RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-13-08 07:31 PM, #5
           RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-13-08 07:47 PM, #6
                RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-14-08 07:46 AM, #7
                     RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-14-08 08:23 AM, #8
                          RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-17-08 05:29 AM, #9
                               RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, KnightHawk434th, Dec-03-08 09:31 PM, #10
RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, Nemo, Dec-13-08 05:06 PM, #11

TeamDR1665Nov-13-08 08:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#801, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome aboard. Ditch the iridium waste-of-time plugs in favor of regular old NGKs. You'll get no gains from the fancy plugs without a lot of motor work. Also, running 91 octane is a waste of money, as you do not need it. PROTIP: Higher octane ratings actually mean the gas is less explosive, which comes in handy when boosted or higher compression. Otherwise, you're probably going to lose power by running 91 in a stock 2GNT.

Lots of good info here. Looking forward to the pics.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cyb3r_shyNov-13-08 09:12 AM
1 posts,
#802, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 1

i was loosing around 900-1100 rpms between shifts, specially uphill, with the change of sparkplugs to iridium it reduced to 500 rpms between shifts

and i've been testing different octanes for a while now, and 91 octane gives me 330 on a full tank, roughly 10 gal. 87 gas gives me about 280 mi. ( i always reset my trip meter after i pump, i put about 450 mi on my RS weekly. so i have alot of room to test and retest with differnt octane as well as gastations.

I'm in San Diego CA, sea level 70's F all yr around, i dont know if how much it plays into the equation, but thanks alot for your input, ill keep it in mind next tune up.

djtrickeeNov-13-08 11:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#803, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 2

lol.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

TeamDR1665Nov-13-08 11:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#804, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 2

Dude. What does going up a hill have to do with engine speed? And, if you're not getting 400 miles on a single tank of gas, you're either driving like a jackass or in need of a serious tune up. Search and read up some threads here about miles on a single tank and you'll see. I mean, shit. I've left the far, far east side of Phoenix on 3/4 tank and done 85+ with the AC going all the way to Irvine without having to stop.

Think you might do better with 87 octane, NGKs and a new O2 sensor up front, man. Even regularly shifting at 4-5000rpm, you should be seeing more than 300 miles on a tank regardless of what fuel grade you use.

@ deej

cyb3r_shyNov-13-08 07:31 PM
1 posts,
#805, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 4

touché, ill look into it, 400 mi u say, and yes i do drive somewhat like a jackass, specially round friggin hondas, not 100 mi worth tho, thanks dude, east side of PX, trevor brown HS wot wot!.

cyb3r_shyNov-13-08 07:47 PM
1 posts,
#806, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DR1665
Dude. What does going up a hill have to do with engine speed? And, if you're not getting 400 miles on a single tank of gas, you're either driving like a jackass or in need of a serious tune up. Search and read up some threads here about miles on a single tank and you'll see. I mean, shit. I've left the far, far east side of Phoenix on 3/4 tank and done 85+ with the AC going all the way to Irvine without having to stop. Think you might do better with 87 octane, NGKs and a new O2 sensor up front, man. Even regularly shifting at 4-5000rpm, you should be seeing more than 300 miles on a tank regardless of what fuel grade you use. @ deej

going up the hill??, going up the hill the car decreases speed more drastically due to gravity pulling against the weight of your car, there for slowinfg your vehicle faster, which would cause a greater decrease of RPM's than shifting going on leveled ground or downhill

...ok so i did i bit of surfin on the searchin', estimated MPG on a 98 Eclipse RS 2.0L DOHC 5 Manual is 20 city 29 hwy 23 combined, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySidePopUp.jsp?column=1&id=14114, so doin some basic math, 10 g (gas) / 300 mi (traveled) = roughly 30 MPG, ANOTHER thing, according to google maps and mapquest, the trip from phoenix AZ to irvine CA is aprox 361 mi which seems plausible on a tank of gas if you drive moderetly which you prob do, hwy 10 is a huge straigh line with very little hills, boring as heck actually, so it sounds somewhat reasonable.

sorry i dont mean to be hard headed, but 10 mpg over the estimated seems alot, ill keep readin round here and asking questions, and i would be grateful if you can point me towards the section where it talks aboot 40+MPG, thanks again.

TeamDR1665Nov-14-08 07:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#807, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by cyb3r_shy
going up the hill??, going up the hill the car decreases speed more drastically due to gravity pulling against the weight of your car, there for slowinfg your vehicle faster, which would cause a greater decrease of RPM's than shifting going on leveled ground or downhill

This is true, but with a manual transmission, when you engage the clutch to shift gears, you disconnect the engine from the wheels. When this happens, the engine operates independently of the road slope. The vehicle does slow faster, and that can contribute to the tach dropping more on hills, but it has more to do with the speed of the vehicle changing more drastically on inclines than flat areas. Moot either way.

so i did i bit of surfin on the searchin', estimated MPG on a 98 Eclipse RS 2.0L DOHC 5 Manual is 20 city 29 hwy 23 combined, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySidePopUp.jsp?column=1&id=14114, so doin some basic math, 10 g (gas) / 300 mi (traveled) = roughly 30 MPG, ANOTHER thing, according to google maps and mapquest, the trip from phoenix AZ to irvine CA is aprox 361 mi which seems plausible on a tank of gas if you drive moderetly which you prob do, hwy 10 is a huge straigh line with very little hills, boring as heck actually, so it sounds somewhat reasonable.

If you're getting 30mpgs, then you're doing alright. Keep in mind that the car has a 16.9 gallon tank and that the low fuel light in the dash comes on, consistently, when you've got right at 3 gallons left. Fill the tank and, assuming you're pulling down 30mpg, you should have no trouble pulling down 400 miles on a tank. (30mpg * 13g = 390mi)

With a mix of city/highway in and around Phoenix, including some hills here and there, I regularly pulled in 400-420 miles on a tank. The drive from the far east side of Phoenix (technically, Chandler) comes out to a generic 383 miles according to tinyurl.com/66h9b2. I left town with the gas gauge at the 3/4 mark and while I *had to* pull over and get gas just as I entered Irvine, I still managed it.

And I wouldn't say I *always* drive moderately. Consider this picture, taken back in April 2005 on the way to MOD.05 in Cypress.

Peer pressure was a bitch that day, but the all motor 2GNT held its own. When my buddy with the GSX coasted into a gas station on fumes, I still had more than half a tank left. As you can see, I was doing pretty good on that particular tank of gas. 140mi+ and pulling down 110mph+ (which we ended up doing a number of times), I still didn't have to get gas until we were headed to MOD from Anaheim the next morning.

sorry i dont mean to be hard headed, but 10 mpg over the estimated seems alot, ill keep readin round here and asking questions, and i would be grateful if you can point me towards the section where it talks aboot 40+MPG, thanks again.

It's cool, man. I've heard of some people easily cracking 500 miles on a tank going cross country with MSnS installed and a good fuel tune, but I've only hit that mark once. (520mi, actually, but I was sweating that next gas station.) If you get 35-36mpg, you'll hit the 500 mile mark with just 14 gallons of fuel, and even then, you'd still have almost 3 gallons left in the tank.

Food for thought. I'd try searching the board for "MPG" and see what you come up with. Don't know if anyone's making 40mpg yet, but it might be possible with a little weight reduction and some under car aero appointments.

cyb3r_shyNov-14-08 08:23 AM
1 posts,
#808, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 7
Nov-14-08 08:38 AM by cyb3r_shy

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by cyb3r_shy going up the hill??, going up the hill the car decreases speed more drastically due to gravity pulling against the weight of your car, there for slowinfg your vehicle faster, which would cause a greater decrease of RPM's than shifting going on leveled ground or downhill
This is true, but with a manual transmission, when you engage the clutch to shift gears, you disconnect the engine from the wheels. When this happens, the engine operates independently of the road slope. The vehicle does slow faster, and that can contribute to the tach dropping more on hills, but it has more to do with the speed of the vehicle changing more drastically on inclines than flat areas. Moot either way.
Originally posted by cyb3r_shy so i did i bit of surfin on the searchin', estimated MPG on a 98 Eclipse RS 2.0L DOHC 5 Manual is 20 city 29 hwy 23 combined, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySidePopUp.jsp?column=1&id=14114, so doin some basic math, 10 g (gas) / 300 mi (traveled) = roughly 30 MPG, ANOTHER thing, according to google maps and mapquest, the trip from phoenix AZ to irvine CA is aprox 361 mi which seems plausible on a tank of gas if you drive moderetly which you prob do, hwy 10 is a huge straigh line with very little hills, boring as heck actually, so it sounds somewhat reasonable.
If you're getting 30mpgs, then you're doing alright. Keep in mind that the car has a 16.9 gallon tank and that the low fuel light in the dash comes on, consistently, when you've got right at 3 gallons left. Fill the tank and, assuming you're pulling down 30mpg, you should have no trouble pulling down 400 miles on a tank. (30mpg * 13g = 390mi) With a mix of city/highway in and around Phoenix, including some hills here and there, I regularly pulled in 400-420 miles on a tank. The drive from the far east side of Phoenix (technically, Chandler) comes out to a generic 383 miles according to tinyurl.com/66h9b2. I left town with the gas gauge at the 3/4 mark and while I *had to* pull over and get gas just as I entered Irvine, I still managed it. And I wouldn't say I *always* drive moderately. Consider this picture, taken back in April 2005 on the way to MOD.05 in Cypress. Peer pressure was a bitch that day, but the all motor 2GNT held its own. When my buddy with the GSX coasted into a gas station on fumes, I still had more than half a tank left. As you can see, I was doing pretty good on that particular tank of gas. 140mi+ and pulling down 110mph+ (which we ended up doing a number of times), I still didn't have to get gas until we were headed to MOD from Anaheim the next morning.
Originally posted by cyb3r_shy sorry i dont mean to be hard headed, but 10 mpg over the estimated seems alot, ill keep readin round here and asking questions, and i would be grateful if you can point me towards the section where it talks aboot 40+MPG, thanks again.
It's cool, man. I've heard of some people easily cracking 500 miles on a tank going cross country with MSnS installed and a good fuel tune, but I've only hit that mark once. (520mi, actually, but I was sweating that next gas station.) If you get 35-36mpg, you'll hit the 500 mile mark with just 14 gallons of fuel, and even then, you'd still have almost 3 gallons left in the tank. Food for thought. I'd try searching the board for "MPG" and see what you come up with. Don't know if anyone's making 40mpg yet, but it might be possible with a little weight reduction and some under car aero appointments.

ok so it sound all reasonable, except for one thing, im missing 3-4 gallons in my tank, you say the reserve light comes up when you hit the 3 g mark, and i consistently pump 10 g at the station, ill take a pic this time around to show you,

i tried searching MPG on the forums, and it came up with our posts. hehe.

oh one more thing, what station do you get your juice from??

TeamDR1665Nov-17-08 05:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#812, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 8

LMAO. Your car has a 16.9 gallon tank. Trust me on this one. If you're figuring out that you're getting even 25mpg, then figure 13*25=325 easily on a tank before you need gas again.

KnightHawk434thDec-03-08 09:31 PM
Member since May 14th 2007
149 posts,
#842, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 9

Not to go against you because you know more than me...but for some reason i can fill up from E and only pump in 13gal MAX...RS come with a smaller tank maybe? Or is this not the tank that should be on there? I'm lost, but i know what he is talking about when he means he pumps in 10 gallons at the light. I get around 300 miles ish on my tank in city, at around 22 or 23 mpg. Around 375 on highway at right about 30 or 31 mpg (calculated the last few tanks for kicks). That means i get about 12 or 13 gallons into a tank. I don't know what's up, but i've NEVER pumped in more than 14 gal...even on E. Maybe my float is outa whack so it senses less fuel. My mom's buick has that problem, and i've noticed my gas gauge never reaches full when the pump kicks off. where can i get a replacement float?

Anyhow, sorry for hijacking the thread. Saw a discussion and decided to jump on the wagon because the new guy and i are having the same problem. Welcome aboard man! Use search often...just a word of caution.

-Ben
Black 1999 RS

Basic mods and a South Bend OFE-SS Clutch
~150bhp.....for now!

NemoDec-13-08 05:06 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#845, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Shy, I up in Long Beach, new here too. You're only the 2nd other guy from Ca. I've seen here. Any chance you're going to Ohio in Aug.? I could use some road company.

Paul

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #800 Previous topic | Next topic