Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #970
View in linear mode

Subject: "turbo problems..." Previous topic | Next topic
jPhright rs tJan-15-01 07:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
28 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#970, "turbo problems..."

alright...i haven't posted because i've been waiting for my car...
well, it's been 3 weeks now- and i just got it back from the shop
got the turbo installed...
they forgot to install the clutch and get the turbo timer and boost controller...
unfortunatley- i got even more screwed...
i drove her- she was a ferocious kitty...
and 5 psi felt pretty nice...though i know she can put out more it was ok...
then, on the freeway, everything was going well, until i noticed the car sputtering a little in 5th...i was at about 73 mph
odd...
kept driving- had to...
and then the car sputters real bad...and i try accellerating and it won't budge...rpm's drop...car dies...
pulled over into breakdown lane...
tried starting her up...would barely take- sputtered, i revved, it took a little, then gas wasn't flowing- the rpm's dropped...
what was weird- the fuel pres. was normal...
i have no clue what this could be...
i'm towing this to the shop tomorrow- and they're going to pay for both tows...fuck them.
any ideas?
my check engine light was on- even when i got it from the shop...
flashed oil too...weird...
i'm just pissed off...not only did they take three weeks- but i still payed full price...
to hell with them...
well, i'll post soon to let you guys know what's up...

jP

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: turbo problems..., Jerry, Jan-15-01 08:50 PM, #1
RE: turbo problems..., Tygermethd, Jan-16-01 04:03 AM, #2
RE: turbo problems..., jPhright rs t, Jan-16-01 05:14 AM, #3
      RE: turbo problems..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-16-01 05:23 AM, #4
           RE: turbo problems..., jPhright rs t, Jan-16-01 06:59 AM, #5
                RE: turbo problems..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-16-01 07:16 AM, #6
                     RE: turbo problems..., jPhright rs t, Jan-16-01 12:05 PM, #7
                          RE: turbo problems..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-17-01 07:43 AM, #8
                               Map sensor.........., QuicknessNT, Jan-17-01 01:51 PM, #9

JerryJan-15-01 08:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
56 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#971, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 0

What shop did you take it too...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TygermethdJan-16-01 04:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
#972, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 0

Was your oil light coming on while you were driving or just trying to crank the engine?? Its normal that your light would come on if you are having problems cranking the engine over. Usually the ECU won't even let the car start if there's and oil pressure problem, but since you already got out to the highway, that's probably not the problem........Could be a speed control sensor problem, or maybe a multiple cylinder misfire.
I had somewhat of the same problem after I got my car back from my build-up. Would drive fine at first, but as soon as I got to steady highway cruising and the ECU started running it's test programs, everything would go haywire. I went out and bought one of the top-of-the-line OBD II diagnostic tools with real-time display and easily diagnosed the problem and fixed it.
I'd recommend getting a scan tool for the future, or to anyone with turbo for that matter. Even if its the cheaper $150 ones. Inevitably, you're going to run in to problems here and there, and it helps BIG TIME in figuring out what's going on and fixing it yourself instead of having to go into the shop all the time.

Patrick

jPhright rs tJan-16-01 05:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
28 posts,
#973, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, the oil light came on when i was trying to crank up...
the shop i took it to was hocus pocus in houston texas...
they're a weird shop man- "we only sell what we race"- crap.
i mean, when the car was running- it ran well
i noticed a few poppings sounds occasionally- couldn't tell if it
was backfire- but it wasn't frequent or anything...
where should i look for one of those OBD II diagnostics?
what do you think the problem was- i mean, why would the computer suddenly freak out like that?
i remember punching it on the freeway and hearing the turbo spool like crazy- but not moving as fast as i thought i should have been...5 psi IS really shallow...
well, i'll post again tonight to let you guys know what's up...
thanks

jP

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-16-01 05:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#974, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 3

That's interesting, i've heard nothing but good things about Hocus Pocus. I'm in Houston myself, but i did my own install. Look at it like this, if it's trashed after barely a day, you can most certainly hold the shop responsible, as it is likely something that was done totally wrong or backasswards. (like not putting oil in it, not tightening the oil feed, missinstallation of the FMU or fuel pump, lack of a gasket on the oil pan or return line.... little things that cause big problems.) Let me know how it goes, as i've considered doing business with Hocus Pocus.

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

jPhright rs tJan-16-01 06:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
28 posts,
#975, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 4

i've done business with hocus for almost a year and a half...
and they DO do good work- normally...
the thing is that they will try to sell you virtually anything...
Alex, the manager there sold a friend of mine some jamex springs for his crx...and i tried to tell him they were crap, but he insisted...sure enough- crap.
they bullshit ALOT...but, i mean, they have some FAST cars...and lots of serious people go there to tune their cars- as they have a dyno...
the mechanics seem like really nice guys- i just don't know why i got dicked around like that...
well, they just towed the car to hocus...
i'm gonna go there later on...
i'll let you guys know what's up

jP

hey darkone- i'll probably be in houston for a little while longer...maybe we could meet- not really sure what's happened to the racing scene here- haven't been in town for 6th months

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-16-01 07:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#976, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 5

I wou;dn't mind meeting up somewhere, but as far as racing or the scene here, i've never been much of a racer, and my car's not running right anyway. What part of Houston are you in ? i live over on the southest side, good 'ol Pasadena way.

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

jPhright rs tJan-16-01 12:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
28 posts,
#977, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 6

right, so i went down to hocus today to see what was going on
they had called me earlier- said they checked the codes from the ecu...said they were seeing problems from the map sensor and the tps...
unfortunately- they waited until i got there at 6:30 to actually make sure...some guy had an obd 2 tool- well, they were the right codes...
so tomorrow- i'm going to pick up both sensors...
so it turns out that their install was fine...and that my car is just being moody...
one thing though- one of the guys there said that nitrous might be responsible for MAP failure...is that right?
well, i live off of westheimer near dairy ashford...
oh sweet sweet pasadena...i remember driving through there many times...
hopefully we can meet- i'm not really sure what's happening because, according to my plans, i should have left for cali...i know i'll be in town a couple more days though...we'll see what happens...
i'll post tomorrow...

jP

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-17-01 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#978, "RE: turbo problems..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hey, that's kewl. I work right at the corner of Elgin and Smith, just south of downtown, about two blocks from that shithole #'s. If you read this anytime soon, i'll be here until 6:30 or 7 or 7:30 .. so if you wanna drop by, feel free. Suite 100, ask for Dino.

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

QuicknessNTJan-17-01 01:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3 posts,
#979, "Map sensor.........."
In response to Reply # 8

If I'd seen this post earlier, I could have told you that. I was at an intersection once and I stalled. I was pushing the gas trying to start it (not knowing it was almost floored) and the car wouldn't start. I was scared I'd burnt it because I'd just gotten off the interstate. After I let off the gas, it fired right up without a hitch. I guess your map sensor was giving an open throttle reading or something, or maybe got hung like that. Anyway, good luck and happy boosting. I can't wait to be there myself.

QuicknessNT

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #970 Previous topic | Next topic