Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #919
View in linear mode

Subject: "I need some help!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Phat99EclipseJan-13-01 03:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#919, "I need some help!!!"

I have the Star Stage 2 in and everything seems to be working right. I have set @ 6psi and want to run this for a week to make sure no problems before turning up the boost.

Here are my problems...

1) EGT is mounted 1.5" from the exhaust port in the 1st runner. At idle it sits between 900 to 1000 degrees. At throttle it doesn't seem to get above 1200 degrees. Am I running too rich or is this about right?

2) I also installed a Greddy EVO exhaust and it is beautiful. The only thing is that when I let off the gas, it will occationally backfire. Not the loud ass Harley Davidson type but still noticeable from the inside of the car. Should I be worried, or is this normal? Could it be because I think I might be running too rich?

3) The Walbro fuel pump is LOUD. I can hear it the minute I start the car and it never stops until I shut the car off. Even under boost I can hear it. Doe everyone experience this?

4) When I floor it, the boost gauge doesn't get above maybe 1psi before I have to shift into second gear. Once upto 3rd is when I notice that the boost is at a steady 6psi. No boost creep and no spikes it builds nice and steady. The A/F meter reads rich to stoich @ WOT. Is this normal or is this another indicator of running to rich.

I will be taking the car back to the shop that did the install for me in a couple of days to see what they think. I'd love to hear what you guys say before then. Thanks everyone for helping me out in this and happy boostin'!!!

DoN

'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
AEM Big Brake Kit
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BoostnRSJan-13-01 12:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#920, "RE: I need some help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The backfire in your exhaust is definately because of too much fuel.. This happens due to the 12:1 fmu that you are using.
I assuming that you are still running your stock Cat ? If you are you should remove it, or whatever is left of it by now.. =)
I used to have the same problem... Every time i would hit boost in whatever gear and shift it would back fire and shoot flames out the exhaust..looks pretty cool though ...hehehe

As for your boost.. you will never be able to hit full boost in first gear because it is very short, and its not giving enough load... But you should be able to hit more than 1psi.. so check your Intercooler piping and be sure that its tight.. You could be leaking boost.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RAIZINJan-13-01 12:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#921, "RE: I need some help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

when I run.. I boost all 18psi even in first gear. I had a custom 3" downpipe fabricated and a 3" cat mated to a custom mandrel bent 3" exhaust system. I get no boost creep. If you're not boostin above 1psi with a greddy evo exhaust..you're more than likely leaking boost. Yea..it would be a good idea to check all hose clamps and vacuum lines. when I forgot to connect my vacuum line to my bov I also was able to hit 1psi but no more than that due to the leak.

TeamWyattJan-14-01 07:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#922, "RE: I need some help!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

1psi in 1st? has to be something wrong there (boost leak, something). I hit max boost as well in 1st gear.
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

Phat99EclipseJan-14-01 03:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
#923, "RE: I need some help!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, I figured out why I was only seeing 1psi in 1st.... Wasn't puttin' the pedal to the metal.... oops...

Oh well. I am still curious how I can lean out the fuel since I am running so rich... Would turning up the boost help... I plan on boosting at 8psi on the street. Thanks for all the help.

Don

'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

fastdsmJan-15-01 02:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
19 posts,
#924, "RE: I need some help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

As far as your EGT's go, they sound about right for the 420A motor. You could stand to go a little leaner and still be safe though, especially if you are backfiring. Concerning the fuel pump....get used to it, they are pretty loud. At least it's not a paxton(about as loud as a hairdryer!).

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #919 Previous topic | Next topic