Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #88110
View in linear mode

Subject: "Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS" Previous topic | Next topic
jsupetranJul-22-05 08:11 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#88110, "Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
Jul-22-05 08:17 AM by jsupetran

Okay I've been researching ths topic and emailing people on here who have this mod to their turbo.

Anyway, since no one really seems to have any heat problems, I've decided to do this right for the first time.

1). My turbo is a HRC Super 16g that comes with regular hrc kits. Now, I want to get the best hose since I've emailed because I emailed Corbin (I think he is the right one) and he has regular non S/S hose and he has to replace them once a year... I'm thinking getting a hose like the one's that come with the HRC oil feed-line because the seem really durable and with stands the turbo's heat very well. However, where can I get one the size big enough to accomodate the coolant lines because I want new lines I am installing to be the same size.

2). Just incase I can't find those high quality hose line that's is like the hrc oil feed line, then I'll just use S/S hoses soo from Jegs.com.

3). So can anyone give some info on the sizes I need. What's the size of the stock coolant lines, and the size of the HRC water channels and the AN fittings I need.

I know this is a lot of information but any help is greatly appreciated. I think those are the issues I've thought of soo thanks!

4). Edit: I knew I'd forget. I forgot who it was I PMed but he actually welded his AN fittings to make a leak proof connections. Well, I don't have access to a welder, so do you think the AN fittins will hold up and not leak without welding? Is coolant more able to penetrate connections then oil or fuel because I have AN fittings on my fuel setup and it's held up well.

5). Also, are A/N fittings pretty much indestructible and heat proof because again, I want to spend money to get a system together that's reliable and I don't have to worry of material dedegradation as a consequence to heat.

Thanks Again!

New Car:
2004 350z base, Nismo CAI, pioneer avic-n1 (dvd, cd, navi)

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, Moderatormicyek, Jul-22-05 08:20 AM, #1
RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, willmayo, Jul-22-05 08:48 AM, #2
RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, jsupetran, Jul-22-05 08:49 AM, #3
      RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, MCubed45, Jul-22-05 09:05 AM, #4
           RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, jsupetran, Jul-22-05 09:14 AM, #5
           RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, Moderatormicyek, Jul-22-05 09:51 AM, #6
           RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, WickedESi, Jul-22-05 01:11 PM, #7
                RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, Kaoz78, Jul-24-05 09:52 AM, #8
                     RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, extreme97nt, Jul-26-05 02:26 PM, #9
                          RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, jsupetran, Jul-26-05 06:35 PM, #10
                          RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, willmayo, Jul-26-05 08:19 PM, #11
                               RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, extreme97nt, Jul-27-05 01:39 PM, #12
                                    RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, jsupetran, Jul-27-05 02:23 PM, #13
                                         RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, WickedESi, Jul-28-05 09:08 AM, #14
                                              RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, willmayo, Jul-28-05 05:27 PM, #15
                                                   RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, lickscissors, Jul-30-05 04:55 PM, #16
                                                        RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, lickscissors, Jul-30-05 04:56 PM, #17
                                                             RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, extreme97nt, Jul-30-05 06:17 PM, #18
                                                             RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, BOOSTED ECLIPSE, Jul-30-05 06:32 PM, #19
                                                                  RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, willmayo, Jul-30-05 08:56 PM, #20
                                                                       RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, HadesOmega, Jul-30-05 09:55 PM, #21
                                                                            RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, WickedESi, Jul-30-05 10:54 PM, #22
                                                                                 RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, extreme97nt, Jul-31-05 02:44 AM, #23
                                                                                 RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, gofaster87, Aug-09-05 06:32 PM, #24
                                                                                      RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS, freakingbori617, Aug-29-10 08:03 PM, #25

ModeratormicyekJul-22-05 08:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#88112, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 0

MMMMM...I surprised that Corbin has had that many issues. I just used regular heater hose and it's fine after 2 years....in fact I'm gonna use them on my new set up, they are still nice and pliable with no signs up stress .

but I know what you mean by the stainless set up...that's the sickness...I wish I could justify the cost.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

willmayoJul-22-05 08:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#88113, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-22-05 08:49 AM by willmayo

pm me your email and i'll send you some pictures of a really nice setup. the fittings on the turbo are 1/4"npt. you can cut the water hard lines, put sleeves over them, flare the ends, and put an fittings directly on the lines without welding. i want to say that the size fittings you would need are -10an. i lost the page where i got the pictures from. if someone wants to re-post them on here pm me and i'll send them to you.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

jsupetranJul-22-05 08:49 AM
4359 posts,
#88114, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-22-05 08:54 AM by jsupetran

I have some pics of various peoples setup and they look nice. I'll post them if anyone is interested.

edit:

New Car:

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

MCubed45Jul-22-05 09:05 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#88116, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-22-05 09:05 AM by MCubed45

what's the advantage of SS lines? with brake lines you use SS to get rid of flex in the lines associated with the rubber ones. the drawback is that SS lines are less durable than rubber ones because the teflon inside breaks down faster and you hafta replace them more often. so for coolant/oil why do people want SS lines besides the fact that they look neat? i don't think flex in the lines is a major concern like when it comes to braking...

sorry if i'm missing something obvious

-marc

jsupetranJul-22-05 09:14 AM
4359 posts,
#88117, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by MCubed45
what's the advantage of SS lines? with brake lines you use SS to get rid of flex in the lines associated with the rubber ones. the drawback is that SS lines are less durable than rubber ones because the teflon inside breaks down faster and you hafta replace them more often. so for coolant/oil why do people want SS lines besides the fact that they look neat? i don't think flex in the lines is a major concern like when it comes to braking... sorry if i'm missing something obvious

I think I may have used the wrong terms to describe SS lines. What I mean is Stainless steel braided hoses, ie like that pic above? Does the brake down also apply to ss braided hoses?

I also didn't know that S/S lines brake down faster? Is that with just the brake lines or does that included steal braided hoses?

New Car:

Old Car:
Boostin since Aug 03.

ModeratormicyekJul-22-05 09:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#88118, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't think you would have to worry about the liner breaking down with coolant.

wear and heat resistance would be the advantages...besides looks of course.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

WickedESiJul-22-05 01:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#88122, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by MCubed45
what's the advantage of SS lines? with brake lines you use SS to get rid of flex in the lines associated with the rubber ones. the drawback is that SS lines are less durable than rubber ones because the teflon inside breaks down faster and you hafta replace them more often. so for coolant/oil why do people want SS lines besides the fact that they look neat? i don't think flex in the lines is a major concern like when it comes to braking... sorry if i'm missing something obvious

Hmmm... I've never heard about teflon braking down faster than rubber? Where did you hear this?

As for the rest of the hoses braided stainless lines are superior in every way except cost. Sizes above -3 don't have teflon in them. They wouldn't use them for every hose in aircraft if they degraded faster than rubber (I've actually never heard of them being replaced in aircraft unless a leak is found).

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Kaoz78Jul-24-05 09:52 AM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#88161, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 7

I have several feet of stainless hose lying around that I don't know much about. I think it is hydraulic line but I'm not too sure. I will try and measure the I.D. and take a couple of pics.

Originally posted by silverarrow
I never said I was going to run 13s with my car with nothing but a sack of rice.

extreme97ntJul-26-05 02:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#88231, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 8

is -6an big enough?

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
www.cnnmotorsports.com

jsupetranJul-26-05 06:35 PM
4359 posts,
#88241, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by extreme97nt
is -6an big enough? best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction) www.cnnmotorsports.com

Hey man, this is the measurements given to me by willmayo:

"I'm 99% sure that the hard lines take -10 fittings. And I'm 100% sure that
the turbo is a 1/4npt fitting. Assuming the hard lines are -10's (99% sure
again), this is how I'd set it up...

2 -10an sleeves, nuts
2 -10an to -6an union reducers
4 -6an 90degree hose ends
3-4 feet -6an ss hose
2 1/4npt to -6an union reducers"

Hope that helps you and make sure to tell us about your results.

New Car:

Old Car:
Boostin since Aug 03.

willmayoJul-26-05 08:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#88243, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-26-05 08:27 PM by willmayo

Originally posted by extreme97nt
is -6an big enough?

maybe, maybe not. assuming the stock hard lines are -10, -6 would be alot smaller and maybe restrict the flow of water too much. now that i think about it, when i go through with this i'm going to use -8 (i have about 3ft of both -6 and -8 sittin in my garage).

then again... if the turbo's water ports are 1/4npt... thats going to be an even bigger restriction, so i really dont know what the best size would be to use.

EDIT: the bitch to a setup like this (an fittings, ss hose) is having to flare those hard lines. in order to use the sleeves/nuts on the hardlines you need a 37 degree flare. flaring tools that do 37 degrees are expensive and hard to come by. i have one i got from summit for ~35$ but the problem is that it wont flare any piping over i think 1/2" inch. I forget who but i'm pretty sure someone makes a fitting that doesnt require you to flare the hose, even if they're 35$-45$ a piece (no idea what they actually cost), thats what i'd do.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

extreme97ntJul-27-05 01:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#88262, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 11

I might use -8an lines to the heater core and back eliminate the hard line all together.

www.cnnmotorsports.com

jsupetranJul-27-05 02:23 PM
4359 posts,
#88266, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 12

Hmm I'm gonna email some people and see what they have to say on the sizing issues. I'll let you all know.

New Car:

Old Car:
Boostin since Aug 03.

WickedESiJul-28-05 09:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#88296, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 13
Jul-28-05 09:12 AM by WickedESi

Just so you guys know, my GT CHRA has a -6 water inlet/outlet. The kit that ATP sells for GT CHRA's has CNC'd aluminum -6 banjo's for use w/ -6 line. You could use a reducer and go higher than that for the lines going to it, but it's only going to flow through a -6 hole in the end. It should be plenty of water as that's what the turbo manufacturer and ATP (one of the highly respected race turbo companies) recommend.

The reason the heater pipes are so big is so that you can heat the entire cabin through a fan blowing through the heater core as quick as possible.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

willmayoJul-28-05 05:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#88321, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by WickedESi
Just so you guys know, my GT CHRA has a -6 water inlet/outlet. The kit that ATP sells for GT CHRA's has CNC'd aluminum -6 banjo's for use w/ -6 line. You could use a reducer and go higher than that for the lines going to it, but it's only going to flow through a -6 hole in the end. It should be plenty of water as that's what the turbo manufacturer and ATP (one of the highly respected race turbo companies) recommend. The reason the heater pipes are so big is so that you can heat the entire cabin through a fan blowing through the heater core as quick as possible.

and to clarify, the 1/4"npt is for the hahn 16g

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

lickscissorsJul-30-05 04:55 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#88358, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 15

just a thought on that picture....the coolant wouldnt flow through that pipe until you turn your heat on... one of those metal lines flows to the heater core, and the other one out of it...with a valve inbetween....so the turbo really wouldnt be cooled by stagnet water... am i missing something else?
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

lickscissorsJul-30-05 04:56 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#88359, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 16

oh, the way i think would work is t"ing off of the pipe by the radiator cap, then t where you have it....then it would be a complete cycle
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

extreme97ntJul-30-05 06:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#88360, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 17

Well I decided who needs heat in a race car so I ripped out all my fans, heatercore and a/c thing. Weight reduction. I am now running -06an line form the thermosthat to the lower radiator pipe. Good enough for me.

www.cnnmotorsports.com

BOOSTED ECLIPSEJul-30-05 06:32 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2004
381 posts,
#88362, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 17

Water flows through the heater core all the time. There isn't a shutoff valve. What turns the heat off on the inside of the car are doors that close off the air coming through the heater core. Here are some pics of my setup.

I ran -8 AN line from the thermostat housing to the hard line then split the hard line after the heater core into -6 AN and -8 AN lines. I also put in a ball valve in the -8 AN line so that I can control the flow through the heater core, because I was worried about the heater not working efficient in the cold weather because of the small ports in the turbo not letting the water as much. So in the winter I can open the valve to let more water flow throught the heater core if needed.

On the hards line I welded AN fittings and pipe threads to be able to hook the lines to.

Joe
MFG Racing

95 GS
MSnS
FP3052 coming soon.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1107

http://www.cardomain.com/id/95turbogs

willmayoJul-30-05 08:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#88363, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 19

very nice setup

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

HadesOmegaJul-30-05 09:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#88364, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 20

is water cooling necessary? I just run an oil cooler.

this is what I'm running on my turbo 280Z right now hehe RX7 front mount oil cooler

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

WickedESiJul-30-05 10:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#88365, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 21
Jul-30-05 10:54 PM by WickedESi

That is the largest oil cooler I have ever seen...

Reasons You Should Water Cool Your Turbo
- You like to boost more than a few seconds at a time
- You care how long your turbo lasts
- Better turbo efficiency
- Turbo timers become pointless
- You don't like coked oil ruining not only your turbo, but bearings in the rest of your engine

extreme97ntJul-31-05 02:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#88367, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 22

I am running water cooling because my turbo is a ball bearing and it requires very little oil. Without alot of oil flow through the turbo, there is no other way to keep it cool.

www.cnnmotorsports.com

gofaster87Aug-09-05 06:32 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2003
113 posts,
#88584, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by WickedESi
That is the largest oil cooler I have ever seen... Reasons You Should Water Cool Your Turbo - You like to boost more than a few seconds at a time - You care how long your turbo lasts - Better turbo efficiency - Turbo timers become pointless - You don't like coked oil ruining not only your turbo, but bearings in the rest of your engine

You realize that everything you listed is pretty much a myth, With the advances in modern day oil, water cooling isnt much of a neccesity except with certain turbos(Garrett GT turbos love water) and certain situations(roadracing for very long periods of time.)

Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GS

freakingbori617Aug-29-10 08:03 PM
Member since Jul 19th 2009
80 posts,
#108110, "RE: Watercooling MEEE TURBO mate!!! WARNING LONG POST WITH MY THOUGHTS"
In response to Reply # 24

is it posibble to just flare the water hard tube and just use a hose end with a npt fitting? Instead of using nuts and sleeves?

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #88110 Previous topic | Next topic