Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #868
View in linear mode

Subject: "twin turbo application ???????" Previous topic | Next topic
oRACLe063Jan-11-01 06:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#868, "twin turbo application ???????"

not that i would do it .... but is it a possiblity????? also would u guys recommend the hahn stage 2 or 3 for a daily driver ? im gonna save for this now.... and i was wondering if the stage 3 is worth the $5000

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: twin turbo application ???????, jZa, Jan-11-01 03:30 PM, #1
SKRILLA could answer that ? as well. :), MWC, Jan-11-01 03:37 PM, #2
I beilive he is installing a Twin set up., MWC, Jan-12-01 07:57 AM, #4
RE: twin turbo application ???????, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-11-01 04:04 PM, #3
      RE: twin turbo application ???????, SaberKhan, Jan-12-01 11:28 AM, #5
           RE: twin turbo application ???????, jZa, Jan-12-01 12:40 PM, #6
           RE: twin turbo application ???????, BoostnRS, Jan-13-01 04:57 PM, #7
                RE: twin turbo application ???????, TeamMuRiX, Jan-16-01 04:02 AM, #8
                     RE: twin turbo application ???????, QuicknessNT, Jan-17-01 02:46 PM, #9

jZaJan-11-01 03:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#869, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not mechanically inclined pretty much at alll but i think you need at least 6 cylinders for a twin turbo, so each turbo is seperated for low and high rpm or some crazy mess like that
and i think the smaller the turbo the better for daily driving due to less lag

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MWCJan-11-01 03:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#870, "SKRILLA could answer that ? as well. :)"
In response to Reply # 1

right Skrilla?
SEE YA!!!!!!!MWC

MWCJan-12-01 07:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#871, "I beilive he is installing a Twin set up."
In response to Reply # 2

SEE YA!!!!!!!!!MWC

TeamJeff_99gsJan-11-01 04:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#872, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 1

Stage 2 and 3 use the same size turbo..the hahn super 16G. Both are fine for daily driving, but I would think stage 2 would be better simply because it has the higher compression ratio. Correct me if I am wrong, but there would be a bit more torque while not boosting with the 9:5:1 ratio. Depending on what kind of daily driving you plan on doing. Either more powerful low end off boost or much higher top end with built internals.

I'm working on about an hour of sleep for the past two days, so if this makes no sense, ignore it It looks ok to me.

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

SaberKhanJan-12-01 11:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#873, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 3

Actually, you dont *have* to have 6 cylinders to have twin turbos. I've seen an integra that was twin turbocharged, and I know of a Prelude somewhere locally that is also twin turbocharged. It would require extensive fabrication and lots of headaches and a big check book. So, best left to people with lots of time and money. Also, I believe that in the Supra Twinturbo setup, both turbos run off the same manifold. I believe. Not really sure. Also, RX-7's use a sequential setup with two different sized turbos. Smaller one for fast spoolup and a larger one for more high end thrust.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

jZaJan-12-01 12:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#874, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 5

ya, my stupid arse remembered about the rx-7 today :O, but hey i did give you a warning though right

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

BoostnRSJan-13-01 04:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#875, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeh the supra is a Flat six not a V setup.. =)
As for a twin turbo setup on a 4 cylinder car... I believe you are wasting money on something that will not give you any extra power.. And yet you might lose power potential because you are using up more energy to spool up two turbos instead of one.

It would be possible to do something like this, but you have to consider the heat that TWO turbos will be creating.. also have you thought of were you could place both down pipes ?

I think someone has asked about this one sometime before..??!@?

Best/Safest bet for you is to go with a Hahn/Star kit !

TeamMuRiXJan-16-01 04:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#876, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 7

Not a flat 6 either - its an inline 6 - so all the exhaust ports are on one side which allows them to run a single large turbo. A Subaru has a flat-6 configuration, which is closer to a v than an inline, except the ports are horizontally opposed. A lot of the twin turbo cars are twin turbo because the v configuration would require a lot of tubing with a single turbo so its easier to throw a single turbo on each set of 3-cylinders not to mention quicker spool up which is good for selling. What has to be considered when looking at a setup like this is how much exhaust gas will be produced to spool the turbos. Obviously, it would seem a single turbo would be much easier to spool because it would have twice as much energy and half the parts. But, this has been done on a 4G63 using twin T-25's because of their small size which reduces the amount of gases needed to get them moving.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage II
And a whole lot of other mods...
89 Accord LSi - yes it's mine
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

QuicknessNTJan-17-01 02:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3 posts,
#877, "RE: twin turbo application ???????"
In response to Reply # 8

I actually talked to that guy who did that, and he put two T-toosmall's (T25's) on his 4G63. He said it spooled better than a 20G and supplied the same CFM and boost. I was tempted to try it myself, but I came short on cash (as usual). I'm going to try a sequential T-25/14B with true dual exhaust system one day, if I get the chance. But, the reason behind using 1 turbo on a 4 cylinder is usually to keep costs down. (remember that 4 cylinder powered cars are usually cheaper and have fuel economy in mind) and the factory car doesn't need that much boost, so it's usually useless.

QuicknessNT

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #868 Previous topic | Next topic