Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #86728
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together" Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinJun-09-05 03:25 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86728, "Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"

Has anyone done this? I'm thinking about adding a side mount to my star FMIC instead of getting a larger front mount. Would these be worth the effort and would there be aby major headaches involved? Comments?

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Moderatormicyek, Jun-09-05 03:39 AM, #1
RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Sorry_i_Win, Jun-09-05 03:51 AM, #2
      RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, siueclipse, Jun-09-05 03:53 AM, #3
      RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jun-09-05 03:58 AM, #4
           RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, madhatter210, Jun-09-05 04:47 AM, #5
                RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-09-05 06:12 AM, #6
                     RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, djtrickee, Jun-09-05 06:20 AM, #7
                     RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, GSGoinFast, Jun-09-05 08:29 PM, #11
                          RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-10-05 04:02 AM, #12
      RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, SilverBullet20g, Jun-09-05 06:55 AM, #8
           RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Ryan_Hes, Jun-09-05 12:26 PM, #9
                RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, RST95eclipse, Jun-09-05 01:48 PM, #10
                     RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Sorry_i_Win, Jun-10-05 11:42 AM, #13
                          RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, djtrickee, Jun-10-05 11:56 AM, #14
                               RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-12-05 12:14 AM, #15
                               RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, GsEclipse02, Jun-18-05 02:04 PM, #16
                                    RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, pr0, Jun-19-05 06:57 AM, #17
                                         RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together, SilverBullet20g, Jun-19-05 04:59 PM, #18

ModeratormicyekJun-09-05 03:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86729, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 0

heh...I was thinking the same thing...but was a fraid of being flamed if I asked about it...so if it happens I guess we'll go down in flames together...LOL

I have starion IC and a decent side mount. I bought the starion before I decided to go with the 2.4..or any kind of rebuild for that matter. Now I'm afraid it will be teribly in addiquit. And I'm too cheap to by a good IC right now so I thought that a dual setup might be a viable bandaid.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Sorry_i_WinJun-09-05 03:51 AM
1910 posts,
#86730, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-09-05 03:52 AM by Sorry_i_Win

my thoughts exactly.. I don't see why it wouldn't help and It would be significantly cheaper to do. Hell.. I should have a side mount on each side and a frontmount.. I think that's look mean... but running all those IC pipes would be a bitch.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

siueclipseJun-09-05 03:53 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#86731, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 2

Remember how people say you lose a pound or two of boost with an FMIC? Whats going to happen when you have an FMIC and a SMIC?

Not to mention lag would be a bitch.

ModeratorEvuLFleAJun-09-05 03:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#86733, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 3

Unless you are pushing the limits of your star FMIC I see no benefit.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

madhatter210Jun-09-05 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
#86735, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 4

I think the more ic piping you add and the more twists,turns and couplers added you are either a. going to restrict the flow to show any positive gains or b. prone to that many more chances of boost leak.

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

Ducking_FumbassJun-09-05 06:12 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#86738, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 5

If you run them in parallel, the pressure loss would be the average of the three. If you run them in series, the pressure loss would be the total, added together.

Try running them in parallel. It would be interesting to see how well this translates to the real world.

Plumbing two (or three!) intercoolers in parallel would be difficult, though, especially with limited space under the hood.

djtrickeeJun-09-05 06:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#86741, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 6

I seriously doubt you are anywhere near the effiecieny in your FMIC at this point. and by the time you get to that point, then a larger FMIC is your best bet.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

GSGoinFastJun-09-05 08:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#86759, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
If you run them in parallel, the pressure loss would be the average of the three. If you run them in series, the pressure loss would be the total, added together. Try running them in parallel. It would be interesting to see how well this translates to the real world. Plumbing two (or three!) intercoolers in parallel would be difficult, though, especially with limited space under the hood.

trying to relate it to resistors and resistance?

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

Ducking_FumbassJun-10-05 04:02 AM
1147 posts,
#86761, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by GSGoinFast
Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass If you run them in parallel, the pressure loss would be the average of the three. If you run them in series, the pressure loss would be the total, added together. Try running them in parallel. It would be interesting to see how well this translates to the real world. Plumbing two (or three!) intercoolers in parallel would be difficult, though, especially with limited space under the hood.
trying to relate it to resistors and resistance?

It is uncanny how closely fluid dynamics can be related to electricity.

Each particle of air will only go through one of the intercoolers when they are plumbed in parallel, so to calculate the pressure drop, it would be something like pressure drop/CFM of flow for each intercooler, and totalled up.

For the cooling capacity, it would be (at least theoretically) very close to the sum total of all of the intercoolers, for slightly more obvious reasons. All of the air will be going through an intercooler
and the overall system capacity would increase.

SilverBullet20gJun-09-05 06:55 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#86743, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Sorry_i_Win
my thoughts exactly.. I don't see why it wouldn't help and It would be significantly cheaper to do. Hell.. I should have a side mount on each side and a frontmount.. I think that's look mean... but running all those IC pipes would be a bitch.

Please no...Sell them and buy one intercooler. I can't believe this

(parting out 95 GS)

Ryan_HesJun-09-05 12:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#86750, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 8

Im gonna have to say ust to get one, efficient, nice intercooler. Less pressure loss, less piping...it's the way to go.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

RST95eclipseJun-09-05 01:48 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#86751, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 9

I would like to see this done, however the best route to go here is the biggest/most efficent IC.

Sorry_i_WinJun-10-05 11:42 AM
1910 posts,
#86774, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 10

okay.. well thanks everybody... i'll be sticking with what I have for now. I was just curious if there would be any significant benifit to doing it since I could get a SMIC for $25.

djtrickeeJun-10-05 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#86776, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Sorry_i_Win
okay.. well thanks everybody... i'll be sticking with what I have for now. I was just curious if there would be any significant benifit to doing it since I could get a SMIC for $25.

Mount it in your exhaust right before the muffler. that should help to cool the exhaust.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Ducking_FumbassJun-12-05 12:14 AM
1147 posts,
#86819, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 14

Tight, y0.

Check out what me and my boYz installed, a cold air exhaust!

GsEclipse02Jun-18-05 02:04 PM
Member since Apr 23rd 2005
14 posts,
#87025, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by Sorry_i_Win okay.. well thanks everybody... i'll be sticking with what I have for now. I was just curious if there would be any significant benifit to doing it since I could get a SMIC for $25.
Mount it in your exhaust right before the muffler. that should help to cool the exhaust.

:lol:

pr0Jun-19-05 06:57 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#87034, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 16

Since you probably loose a pound or two can't you just up the boost a notch or two? Just a suggestion... I have no clue.

SilverBullet20gJun-19-05 04:59 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#87053, "RE: Using a front mount and side mount intercooler together"
In response to Reply # 17

Please let this die

(parting out 95 GS)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #86728 Previous topic | Next topic