Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #85735
View in linear mode

Subject: "turbo oil supply" Previous topic | Next topic
youkickedmydogMay-08-05 04:11 PM
Member since Aug 16th 2004
290 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#85735, "turbo oil supply"

I was thinking, some s/c need an external oil reservoir to pump oil through the turbine. Well instead of drilling a hole in my oil pan and running a line from the oil pressure output on the back of the block to the turbo is it possible to move the battery to the back of the car and have an oil reservoir in its place? Would there be any benefit to that at all? Also I would need to get a pump that has the power to pump oil to the turbo at all times, well when the car is running. Would it be possible to use a flue pump, or a water pump? Discuss

Originally posted by oRACLe063
that not just any aluminum foil son !!! that reynolds wrap..lol its like the greddy of the aluminum foil world

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: turbo oil supply, tim97rs, May-08-05 04:34 PM, #1
RE: turbo oil supply, youkickedmydog, May-08-05 04:58 PM, #2
      RE: turbo oil supply, eclipsekaiser, May-08-05 05:03 PM, #3
           RE: turbo oil supply, techboy, May-08-05 05:24 PM, #4
                RE: turbo oil supply, WickedESi, May-09-05 12:53 AM, #5
                     RE: turbo oil supply, youkickedmydog, May-09-05 05:26 PM, #6

tim97rsMay-08-05 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#85736, "RE: turbo oil supply"
In response to Reply # 0
May-08-05 04:36 PM by tim97rs

that is a WHOLE lot of trouble to avoid drilling a hole in your pan and running a flexable line to you turbo... it is possible sure, but so is putting a jet engine in your car to avoid plumbing a turbo kit...

keep in mind that the oil drain in your center sections is a gravity drain. and it don't like to have a whole lot of bends. the oil needs as much of a straight path back to the pan as possible.

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

youkickedmydogMay-08-05 04:58 PM
290 posts,
#85743, "RE: turbo oil supply"
In response to Reply # 1

I have no problem drilling holes, hell I am that kinda kid who gets board and want to see what his cylinder heads look like. I was just thinking, curious is all. Also, i forget the company name, but they make turbo kits for ls1/lt1 motors along with a crap load of other gmc cars/motors. The way it works is that some where before the cayt a turbo is spliced into the exhaust. This way you can still utilize your headers. I wonder if it would be possible to make up something like that for a 420a. Is that possible? Only down side is that the intake tube has to run alot longer to get from the turbo to the throttle body, especially if its hooked to an intercooler, so the turbo would have to boost alot more psi than normal. Thats the only draw back that I can see.

that not just any aluminum foil son !!! that reynolds wrap..lol its like the greddy of the aluminum foil world

eclipsekaiserMay-08-05 05:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#85744, "RE: turbo oil supply"
In response to Reply # 2

Or yo can try one of those super duper expensive turbos that are self lubes requiring minimal service.

-K-

techboyMay-08-05 05:24 PM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#85745, "RE: turbo oil supply"
In response to Reply # 3

If you put a turbo in front of the cat on a 420A it would probably drag on the ground. But the upside is then you would have to use your oil res. idea becuase there is no way you'd get oil uphill back to the oil pan without some sort of pump.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

WickedESiMay-09-05 12:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#85754, "RE: turbo oil supply"
In response to Reply # 4
May-09-05 12:54 AM by WickedESi

A optimal turbo manifold is one that is tubular equal length which runners are as short as possible. The reason the corvettes have theres' back by the cat is for packaging. You would then need an oil scavange pump to keep the oil out of the return line (or a self lubercating turbo, like an aerocharger).

Don't try to make something more difficult than it is...

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

youkickedmydogMay-09-05 05:26 PM
290 posts,
#85794, "RE: turbo oil supply"
In response to Reply # 5

I have no intention of doing either.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #85735 Previous topic | Next topic