Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #692
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wategate or Deltagate?" Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-04-01 07:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#692, "Wategate or Deltagate?"

For you guys with the turbonetics DeltaGate that comes with the star kit:

Are you running in wastegate mode or "DeltaGate" mode? Deltagate mode being with the line running from the compressor housing on the turbo to the nipple on the wastegate... I was reading the instructions that the thing will actually work both ways. I'm running it with the line connected, but i just tried it without it and i'm still having the same problems... it bogs down under boost at wide throttle. On a whim, i thought it might be the intertesting deltagate feature, which opens the wastegate .. well, let me show you what the instructions say...

"Under heavy to moderate load conditions (such as an extended hill climb ot towing)under part throttle, it is possible for the compressor to produce a mild supercharge (boost) while the compressor inlet is actually seeing significant vacuum (due to the part throttle) This is due to the large amount of exhaust energy created as a result of the heavy load conditions. High exhaust energy levels cause an increase in turbine speed resulting in the mild boost/vacuum combination mentioned above. The deltagate eliminates this problem by controlling the actual pressure increase across the compressor from inlet to outlet. By constantly balancing the deltagate actuator setting in accordance with the compressor inlet pressure variations "

Which mean to me, that when i romp on the throttle, i'm creating a mild boost signal that the wastegate sees, causing it to open, creating the power loss and popping noise (due to the exhaust venting straight to atmosphere through the open wastegate) that i experiance when i give it a lot of throttle. Seems logical, right? Well, i guess not, because it ran exactly the same when i removed the vacuum/boost line from the wastegate. I'm stumped. If i'm running too rich, WHY? if i'm running too lean, how can i fix it ? Nothing in this turbosystem is adjustable in terms of fuel delivery, so what do i do ?

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wategate or Deltagate?, BoostnRS, Jan-04-01 07:39 AM, #1
RE: Wategate or Deltagate?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-04-01 08:26 AM, #2
      RE: Wategate or Deltagate?, Dave16gt, Jan-04-01 09:39 AM, #3
           Yes, it does seem that way....., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-04-01 10:14 AM, #4
                RE: Yes, it does seem that way....., Dave16gt, Jan-04-01 04:40 PM, #5
                     hey dave, 95ESi, Jan-04-01 05:47 PM, #6

BoostnRSJan-04-01 07:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#693, "RE: Wategate or Deltagate?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok.. im not sure how exactly you're driving your car, but here's what im suspecting:

Under medium/heavy load.. you are driving under partial throttle.(lets say half throttle.) Your car builds some boost, then you proceed to depress the accelarator (to lets say 1/4 throttle)..

What happened in that scenerio is that you're building boost at half throttle and then you close the throttle but not all the way. This in turn gives the motor less fuel, and you are still under boost, causing your car to jerk..

Hopefully i understood your question correctly, and this helps!

later!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-04-01 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#694, "RE: Wategate or Deltagate?"
In response to Reply # 1

Nope.. It's more like going from 1/2 throttle to 3/4 throttle and it starts to loose power, sputters a little at lower rpm. At higher rpm and freeway speeds, all i feel is a sort of "drag" on the motor when i give it too much throttle under boost.

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Dave16gtJan-04-01 09:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
38 posts,
#695, "RE: Wategate or Deltagate?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thats the same problem that Im trying to figure out. At 1/2 throttle my engine is fine but any more and the engine seems to drag like you were talking about. My fuel pressure is not rising either. I have the HRC kit but it sounds like the same problem.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-04-01 10:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#696, "Yes, it does seem that way....."
In response to Reply # 3

But i have a static ratio fuel pressure riser, whereas you have a fully adjustable fuel management unit. Do you have an EGT gauge ? I do, and my exhaust temps actually tend to run lower tha they did when i was NA. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but i'm looking for a cheapo inch-and-a-half job to tape to my windshield for testing just so i can make sure it's not running lean under boost. Hell, man, if you figure it out before i do, let me know and i'll do the same for you.

-DarkOne (dyancey@prosrm.com)

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Dave16gtJan-04-01 04:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
38 posts,
#697, "RE: Yes, it does seem that way....."
In response to Reply # 4

Well Ive checked almost everything with the fuel system, and still no luck. I see about 70 psi on the fuel pressure guage at 2-3 psi of boost, but then the fuel pressure stops climbing. Tomarrow Im changing my fuel filter, thats all I can think of for now that could possibly fix the problem. Ill let ya know if it helps at all.

Dave 16gt

95ESiJan-04-01 05:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#698, "hey dave"
In response to Reply # 5

Maybe you have vacuum leak to your adjustable FPR?

l e o n

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #692 Previous topic | Next topic