Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #61727
View in linear mode

Subject: "SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?" Search result list | First match | Last match
Grems81Dec-04-03 12:07 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
38 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61727, "SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"

Ok I just want some info from you guys, I don't wanna hear about cost and weather or not its worth it because thats not what I am worried about. I heard all that with wanting to convert to a 4G63 engine. But when you have a $20k show car, you dont just sell it and get a turbo as most people suggest lol:thumbsup I want to know how compatible it is to swap, if its easier or harder than the 4g63, what all has to be done, wire harnesses and all that, if anyone has done this yet and that kinda stuff. I have access to one of these motors with only like under 10k miles for literally peanuts (good connections when you help people at shows ya know). So the cost of the conversion is not an issue. It's a different swap than most do, it's potentially more power than the 4g63 and no crankwalk, and for those of you loyalists, we basically have a neon engine now and it would just be upgrading to a better one and not switching over to the other side hahaha. Any help would be great and appreciated, thanks alot
Josh

"The winner of this game is going to be whoever has the most points on the scoreboard at the end of the game."
-John Madden

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, thedawg, Dec-04-03 12:44 PM, #1
RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, eclipse_99rs, Dec-04-03 12:46 PM, #2
      RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Uberingram, Dec-04-03 02:25 PM, #3
           RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, turbo8u, Dec-04-03 02:30 PM, #4
                RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Uberingram, Dec-04-03 02:43 PM, #5
                     RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, TeamMuRiX, Dec-05-03 07:31 AM, #6
                          RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Grems81, Dec-05-03 01:56 PM, #7
                               RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, turbo8u, Dec-05-03 02:05 PM, #8
                               RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Grems81, Dec-05-03 02:14 PM, #10
                               RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Grems81, Dec-05-03 02:10 PM, #9
RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, turbotoys, Dec-05-03 04:02 PM, #11
RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Grems81, Dec-05-03 04:17 PM, #12
      RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, turbotoys, Dec-05-03 06:33 PM, #13
           RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, TeamMuRiX, Dec-06-03 12:38 AM, #14
                RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, alain95i4, Dec-06-03 01:56 PM, #15
                     RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, DSMeclipseGS, Dec-07-03 01:54 PM, #16
                          RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, lickscissors, Dec-08-03 05:26 AM, #17
                               RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, Teametx, Dec-08-03 05:43 AM, #18
                                    RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?, MotoFool, Dec-08-03 09:53 AM, #19

thedawgDec-04-03 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61729, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wouldn't "OBRUT 4.2" look really lame on a show car?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse_99rsDec-04-03 12:46 PM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#61731, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 1

/\ the valve cover would need to be switched around. its a lot of moolahhhh to do that swap.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

UberingramDec-04-03 02:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#61734, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 2
Dec-04-03 02:31 PM by Uberingram

Originally posted by eclipse_99rs
/\ the valve cover would need to be switched around. its a lot of moolahhhh to do that swap.

It's not the valve cover sir. It's the entire head. Timing is still done from the same side as us but as with all neons, the head is transversed compared to the standard we are used to thinking of. More then likely you will not be able to get around this. Find a way to run the stuff that comes from the head (turbo piping to intake, IC, exhuasst, intake mani...)

motor mounts are different...mostly the passenger side. there are 2 on the passanger side of the motor...upper and lower...2gnt's only have the one, the rest are on the tranny.

wiring. although you are looking at diamlerchrysler as a whole Id imagine you'd be wiring the entire car from scratch.

It seems to me that the A853 is a MUCH taller (just bigger in general for obvious reasons) motor. IF you could get the motor to fit as well as mounted...what about accessories? It's a damn snug fit in the SRT as a it is. I would have to take a look at the shop manual for both cars and take engine dimensions into account but like with any serious swap...I'm sure there is a way around it.

Front suspension will more then likely have to be redone. Front crossmember? I dont think it will fit. Even the more 'popular' 2.4 swap will have to have a custom oil pan made. Dont think you can do that with the srt...I'll have to take a pic of the stock oil pan...It is very heavy duty.

turbo8uDec-04-03 02:30 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#61735, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 3
Dec-04-03 02:37 PM by turbo8u

they sell 2.4 liter blocks, whats the problem/difference?

dont put an SRT-4 in your car, your head will explode

Originally posted by Uberingram
I'll have to take a pic of the stock oil pan...It is very uber duty.

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

DarkOne> Screw you guys, i'm going home.

"drugs have taught an entire generation of american kids the metric system. "

UberingramDec-04-03 02:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#61736, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 4

Take a look at this website for some beginning info on the motor:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0310scc_projneon/

If you're serious about it...talk to Dodge and get a service manual for the car. Get a service manual for your 2gnt. I'd love to see it happen just as much as you. It's a stout as fuck motor proven to hold up to 20+ psi and close to 400 whp on stock internals.

TeamMuRiXDec-05-03 07:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#61764, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 5

It is a similar swap to the 2.4l swap. The short block can be had for $1700 new from Dodge. Our stock tranny bolts up. You will need to focus on working out how to make your crank angle sensor work, which will probably mean a new timing wheel needs to be made as the signal and tooth count are different on the A853 from the 420A. If you go standalone, this will not be a problem. There are few other revisions you would need to make, but those are minor in relation to getting the crank trigger sorted.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

Grems81Dec-05-03 01:56 PM
38 posts,
#61778, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't want to do a swap to the more conventional 2.4l engines for several reasons including: SRT-4 is a stronger beefier proven engine, its turboed, and it's original, etc...
Also as far as size its basically the same size, I believe it is one inch higher, one inch wider, and a half inch deeper. There is plenty of room for that difference in our engine bays...
I will look more into it but I think I am gonna do this, the shop doesnt think it to be too difficult of a swap. I personally don't see how it could be harder than a 4G63 swap as some do, in fact this would almost be easier since the trannys we have will work and all.
Thanks for all your help, keep it coming
Jos

"The winner of this game is going to be whoever has the most points on the scoreboard at the end of the game."
-John Madden

turbo8uDec-05-03 02:05 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#61779, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Grems81
I don't want to do a swap to the more conventional 2.4l engines for several reasons including: SRT-4 is a stronger beefier proven engine, its turboed, and it's original, etc...

, whats the difference between a motor built for boost and a motor built for boost?

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

DarkOne> Screw you guys, i'm going home.
chrysler kid> and fyi i have never HAD to shave.

"drugs have taught an entire generation of american kids the metric system. "

Grems81Dec-05-03 02:14 PM
38 posts,
#61781, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by turbo8u
, whats the difference between a motor built for boost and a motor built for boost?

Those 2.4l out of a stratus and all aren't really designed for boost, they are just designed to be a 2.4l, but regardless, the internals of the SRT-4 are better and some forged, and the block is stronger and more bulletproof... check out that link that Uberingram supplied and look at the internals and the block and all. I just personally believe this to be a slightly stronger engine and its actually meant for boost, it comes with it... just my $0.02

-John Madden

Grems81Dec-05-03 02:10 PM
38 posts,
#61780, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 7

hey Uberingram thanks for that link too that was a big help. I definiately think this is do-able. At lease the engine isnt flopped like the 4G63 and can use some mounts and my tranny. Should work real nice and can't wait to do it and see how it powers my baby. thanks
Josh

-John Madden

turbotoysDec-05-03 04:02 PM
Member since Oct 10th 2003
14 posts,
#61782, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-05-03 04:04 PM by turbotoys

You could make this swap a WHOLE BUNCH easier by changing your approach to this just a little.

Use a 2.4L Stratus block and crank, but use the 2gnt cylinder head, and the SRT4 pistons and rods. This will allow you to use the same wiring harnesses, computer, same cams, have the added strength of the stronger internals, and the intake and exhaust components will still fit.
The SRT4 manifolds will not fit in your engine bay.

Use the valve cover off of the 2.4L motor (it'll fit) on your Eclipse cylinder head, for extra trickiness.
This would make a sweet swap if done correctly, and allows you to run a nice shiny stainless turbo manifold and a big turbo in the front of the car.

And a 3" stainless downpipe!

Grems81Dec-05-03 04:17 PM
38 posts,
#61783, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 11

then you would have to add what like a hahn kit to all that? Don't wanna do all that... or are you saying to add all the turbo components off the SRT-4? either way its more work and more $. I basically have an SRT-4 engine (complete) almost free (good connections trust me). So getting all these parts + the labor would be way more than just this which I like better anyways its more solid than pieceing together several engines and allows me to keep mine complete as a back up. I do like the idea it sounds real nice but a little less realistic for me.

-John Madden

turbotoysDec-05-03 06:33 PM
Member since Oct 10th 2003
14 posts,
#61786, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 12

Okay, good luck with your project!
It's going to be a huge task, and I understand you can get a cheap engine and all, but the amount of things that you'll need to custom make and replace will be a lot of grief for you. You'll understand what I mean later after you start this project.

You could have a running, turbocharged, 2.4L Eclipse in two weeks, or 6 months.

TeamMuRiXDec-06-03 12:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#61794, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 13

Did you just completely miss the part where I mentioned our crank signal is different or do you just have no clue what I am saying? As it sits, our stock ecu can not cope with the crank signal received from the A853, which means it is not just a drop in affair. Some custom work will need to be done, and this defeats making it easy. Possible, but extra work required including some custom fabbed parts, which has been done before so nothing new there, as long as you know what you are doing.

You will not fit the stock SRT-4 turbo/manifold combo and I would not bother even if you could. Does not make enough power to justify the swap.

You will need a full custom turbo setup, which is no big deal.

Realistically, the only thing you would gain from the SRT-4 block over the standard Stratus 2.4l block is some extra cooling. Using the A853 (SRT-4 engine code if you do not know - it is not a 420A) internals in the 2.4l 420A stratus block is sufficent and a lot easier unless you plan on going standalone at which point none of this matters and you can do what you want, but going standalone defeats the requirement of simplicity.

I thinking fitting the A853 is a great idea, just be sure you are aware what you are up against.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

alain95i4Dec-06-03 01:56 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#61805, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 14
Dec-06-03 01:56 PM by alain95i4

for some hints on building a frankenstein 2.4 engine from scratch visit my ASOG gallery

all my 2.4 stuff is there
from pistons to oil pan, from TB to t belt tensionner
And I'm far from beeing done
http://www.asog.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album62&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

DSMeclipseGSDec-07-03 01:54 PM
Member since Jan 21st 2002
932 posts,
#61817, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 15

If you got a place that's willing to do the swap and the labor and you have a hookup, why even bother asking us.... just give them the car and let them deal with all the issues..

lickscissorsDec-08-03 05:26 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#61835, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 16

why not just sell the engine and use the money to rebuild and add a turbo?
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

TeametxDec-08-03 05:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#61836, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah, get a hahn kit.

Actually if you want to do the turbo motor swap I think it would be easier to install the new 4g63 from the evo. It's timing is on the same side as the 420a. It think it would be a lot easier.

MotoFoolDec-08-03 09:53 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#61839, "RE: SR-T 4 engine in a 2GNT?"
In response to Reply # 18

i agree with murix the srt4 turbo setup is pointless...

you need to use the 2gnt head no way around it..

the srt4 block uses the exact same internals as all the other 2.4 blocks..

there is someone devolping a trigger wheel to bolt onto a UDP they have the wheels made and are working on the sensor mounting of it should be done it the next few weeks..

that would take away the problem with the crank trigger. but still makes things harder..

remember you need a custom passenger side mount.
you need to cut a large chunk out of your oil pan.
you must use a UDP to get it fo fit by the frame rail.
you will ahve to figure out firing order and do the math to find out how much youd change the cam magnet verses a 2.0 or standard 2.4 swap.

you still have to rewire the injector order and plugs

if yu use the srt4 you need to use a srt4 harness which im not sure youd get the same signals to the dashconsole. (speed maybe the only one that still works..)

you will need a custom turbo kit.
you will need new axles cause you will snap yours very quickly and might as well beefy up the tranny differential while you have it out.
you will need a new clutch
dont forget a 2.4 motor is not woke up till you add some cams.. and the neon cams dont work ina 2gnt... and srt4 wont work in a 2gnt.

Bill
my 2.4 block is going in soon i hope

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #61727Search result list | First match | Last match