Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #606
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need y'all to lok at something for me...." Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-02-01 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#606, "Need y'all to lok at something for me...."

LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-01 AT 07:18 PM (PST)

First off, I ...

...pulled all four of my plugs. Then i took some pictures.

These plugs have been in my car for about eight months, and the turbo for about a week. Do they look okay ? Is red/brown a sign of detonation? (light grey, light brown, tan.. okay, right?) In a few days i'm going to pull one of the NGK 1283's i installed (the new designation for the BKR7E-11) and check it, too, to see if there are signs of exessive wear. My EGT temps stay fairly low, but my car just falls on it's face if i romp on the throttle. I did it tonight, and i heard several good, clean POP sounds. but they sound like backfiring, like the valves are opening too soon or something. This is at WOT, in any gear, at boost. Maybe, with the aid of a long microphone cord and my nifty Toshiba Tecra 750 laptop, i can get a sound clip of these noises for you guys to think about. Anyway... I'm really starting to think that the fuel pump isn't sealled properly and the damn thing is having trouble maintaining fuel pressure. I filled my tank up tonight after i replaced the plugs, and heard a nice hissing noise coming from back there, under the whine of the fuel pump. Sounded like it was blowing fuel back into the tank past the seal at the pump. Dunno.
-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need y'all to lok at something for me...., Tygermethd, Jan-02-01 05:38 PM, #1
RE: Need y'all to lok at something for me...., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-02-01 06:12 PM, #2
      can't see your picture..., TeamJasonESi_T, Jan-03-01 02:33 AM, #3
           fuel pressure guage?, 95ESi, Jan-03-01 04:18 AM, #4
                RE: fuel pressure guage?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-03-01 05:10 AM, #5
                     Spark plugs, BoostnRS, Jan-04-01 06:27 PM, #6
                          RE: Spark plugs, Team96NOS_Eclipse, Jan-05-01 12:38 AM, #7

TygermethdJan-02-01 05:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#607, "RE: Need y'all to lok at something for me...."
In response to Reply # 0

Looks normal to me having been in there for 8 months. They just look like they've been in for awhile and are due for a changing. As long as you're not seeing really white or really black, i.e too lean or too rich respectively.
As far as the sound, sometimes it could be the simplest of things. Are you sure you're just not hearing the wastegate dumping into the atmosphere?? What's your a/f gauge and EGTs reading at WOT when you feel the power loss and hear the popping sound?

Patrick

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-02-01 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#608, "RE: Need y'all to lok at something for me...."
In response to Reply # 1

My EGt has been reading about 25-50 degrees F colder than before the turbo install. my a/f reads fine up to about 3 PSI, after which it drops down (and stays down) to about .04-.10 I'm not sure what's wrong, i just want to make sure i'm getting enough fuel, and i don't think i am.

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

TeamJasonESi_TJan-03-01 02:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#609, "can't see your picture..."
In response to Reply # 2

I guess you know that I've already given you my opinion on your problems as being in fact too rich, not too lean. In fact, symptoms such as backfiring, poor performace, low exhaust temps, and carbon build-up on plugs are all very common symptoms of a rich fuel system. The other extrme of LEAN conditions are outstanding performance, high high exhaust temps, and white, very clean spark plugs.

Someone may very well be telling you its lean through their own turbocharging experience. (I'm not sure why.)However, before you start tearing things apart such as your fuel pump and such, why not try to go on this assumption for awhile. It's vary possible that your FPR is faulty and/or the non-adjustable fuel ratio spring is turned in to tight on the FPR or it has been placed in the wrong spot along your fuel lines. (This may mean a fualty FPR) I really don't know which, but just try and keep this scenario in mind.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

95ESiJan-03-01 04:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#610, "fuel pressure guage?"
In response to Reply # 3

Do you have a fuel pressure guage? That could be one way of diagnosing your problems....

l e o n

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-03-01 05:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#611, "RE: fuel pressure guage?"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't have one, but i've thought about it. I can get a cheapo gauge for about $30, tie into the service fitting and tape the damn thing to my windshield just to get a reading under boost. I'm looking for one as we speak. I'm not sure WHAT to think is wrong anymore... everyone has there own opinion, even me. The way i look at it,

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

BoostnRSJan-04-01 06:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#612, "Spark plugs"
In response to Reply # 5

I remember when i first started boosting.. I was reluctant to check my spark plugs when i installed the turbo...

5-6psi... response was fine.. but once i started hitting higher boost 8-10psi... the car would sputter !!!
I simple change of the spark plugs resolved all my problems !!

later!

Team96NOS_EclipseJan-05-01 12:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
294 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#613, "RE: Spark plugs"
In response to Reply # 6

The bright red color comes from the fuel additive, other than that they look like normal wear but they are in need of a change.

Michelle

96 Eclipse Base Model
Best 14.6@93 w/60 shot

1997 Eclipse RS
1991 Eclipse GSX
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1989 Dodge Daytona 2.5 turbo
(tinker car)
1996 Eclipse base model RIP

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #606 Previous topic | Next topic