Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5296
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help! What should I do Next??? Power mods..." Previous topic | Next topic
RS_GuyMay-19-01 01:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5296, "Help! What should I do Next??? Power mods..."

Hiya guys... the time has *finally* come!!!!!!!!

I have CONFIRMED news from my engine builder that my engine is ready, and all I need to do is pick the sucker up! When I get back to the US of course, which is in 3 weeks......!

Perfect timing for me to order some parts in time for my arrival.

Quick background info on my car: Hahn Stage II, A'PEXi FMIC, SAFC, 9.5:1 JE, Crower Rods, TotalSeal rings, 8lb flywheel, Stage IV Clutchmasters....

I need a *complete* fuel & timing solution!
Especially TIMING as that is such a big issue to me (High compression)...

Some options:

* Hahn & Accel Setup (but I have 9.5:1 compression, so all pre-tuned tuning won't work....)
* Haltech E6K (someone is already running that here.. Who?)
* Electromotive TEC-Something? http://www.electromotive-inc.com/
* MSD DIS-2 & Better FPR & SAFC

Any ideas guys? I realize that I need injectors anyway, so that doesn't really matter anyway.

Please help! Anything you say will help, I am thoroughly confused!

Guy
RS_Guy

http://www.GTuned.com

-----
www.GTuned.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RS_GuyMay-19-01 02:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5297, "A few more things....."
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 19-May-01 AT 07:09 PM (PST)

A few more things......

I want to take my car to the extreme streetable limit, but still want it to retain some daily-driveability (I know, I know) as in in-town driving & some highway driving.

By saying that, I want an Engine management system that isn't "drag only", i.e. one that has a "street" mode.

I also plan on running all the way up to 21psi boost at my 9.5:1 compression. Crazy? I firmly believe that is can be done if all tuning is done *very* carefully....

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamStan2gntMay-19-01 03:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#5298, "RE: A few more things....."
In response to Reply # 1

Sure it can be done. Some of those hondas are running 11:1 compression and 25+ lbs of boost. At 21psi I'd go with the electromotive if i could afford it as its been on many neons in some form or another. Haltech if you can deal with the complexity and expense. Better regulator, ignition with retard and AFC is more of a 20psi and under set up but I dont doubt it would work. I know the tecII (and probably haltech) have idle control functions to run huge injectors and still have decent idle and low speed driveability. Just cant get that with an AFC. And really after $400 for ignition with tach adapter(s), $300+ for the AFC and $300 for the completely adjustable regulator your couple hundred bucks away from a TECII.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon 420A-Turbo
Former and future nitrous user

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Jason 95 GS TurboMay-19-01 05:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
183 posts,
#5299, "RE: A few more things....."
In response to Reply # 2

I'm the one working on getting a haltech in our cars. There is alot to it, and just not enough time in the days. I got mad amounts of work at our shop, let alone me doing an LS swap into my civic. Believe me though, the Haltech will be installed by the end of summer. I promise you guys. As far as if it will be streetable or not, i can't tell you. It all depends on how large of injectors i go. I want to go 720's but i feel that i won't be able to cut the pulse width's down enough to keep it idleing smooth. I am possibly going to go with 660's though to keep things sane. It has so many controls with it though, that i see no reason why it can't be streetable. It is still based on the same principles of our ecu's, a speed density setup using the map sensor, RPM's, and intake air temp readings to formulate how much fuel and timing advancement to give. If i can match the timing curves of our stock ECU, or come close, the tuning of fuel should not be as difficult. It has a closed loop operation for normal driving to help with the street ability.

In my personal opinion of the tec-II, yes it works on neon's but on the neons it is running, i believe it is the 4 weber carb setup, nothing like a turbo setup. Plus, it doesn't offer anywhere near as many options as the haltech does, and i would imagine it to be just as tough as the haltech to install..but don't quote me on that.

Like i said, i hope to get this done, i am tired of looking at 1400 bux just chillin on my floor. I would much rather see it sitting under my hood.

jason
95 GS Turbo

RS_GuyMay-20-01 10:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#5300, "RE: Help! What should I do Next??? Power mods..."
In response to Reply # 0

Jason, what made you choose the Haltech over all the others?

Personally I have been leaning towards the Electromotive Tec-II sinice it has been so highly reccomended by other people. Unfortunately most of them are "Honda People" and they think that "direct fire" ignition is a gift sent to them. They don't realize that 420As have that stock.

Electromotive tech support told me that even though we do have direct fire ignition, they need me to get their coils. They gave me the "our coils are better" speech. At first I was annoyed, and then I realized that I might as well go all the way instead of messing with my 90,000mile old coils.

The software that I downloaded from Electromotive (the actual software used to tune the Tec-II) looked *reasonably* logical and easy to use.

They also have the Tec3 coming out soon (end of summer) and as with all updates, promises to be better.

I have definitely ruled out the MSD, AFC, FPR route... Too many things that can go wrong.. and not enough accuracy (idle etc..).

At this point in time, I simply do not know how to randomly plug in values out of the blue for an EMS. I do not know all the parameters.

As my problem gets more urgent I have 2-3weeks to decide, as by mid-June, my car has to be running 100% full race-ready spec, and I am definitely not waiting for a "ghost" product (I have no guarantees that the Tec3 will be ready when they say it will)

As you can see, I am about to go crazy......

Oh and to make things saucier, I have a few British & Austarlian companies in mind..... ARGHHH!!!!!

Man, that 5th injector is really starting to sound so nice about now........

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

RS_GuyMay-20-01 10:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#5301, "RE: Help! What should I do Next??? Power mods..."
In response to Reply # 4

Speaking of 5th injector........

Wait... I'll post this idea on the main page.. it may interest others... although it doesn't solve my ignition problem... and anyway I basically have my mind set on an EMS!

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5296 Previous topic | Next topic