Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #515
View in linear mode

Subject: "Still not running right...." Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-29-00 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#515, "Still not running right...."

Off boost it's fine. Runs great. It's really hard to start, though. I have to lean on the ignition for almost 30 seconds sometime before it starts to turn over on it's own. Under boost, my af gauge starts to spit out .07, then .06, then .05, slowly dropping until i let off the throttle. It also sputters like it wants to die when i give it more throttle under boost. I can't tell if it's getting too much fuel, or not nearly enough. Here's my thought: How well does that walbro actually fit our cars? I'm not the one who installed my fuel pump, so i don't know. 95ESi says that it was "wobbly" at the attatchment to the fuel line. If it doesn't make a good seal, could it build up fuel pressure? A FP gauge is the only thing i don't have, so i can't tell (tire presure gauge on the service fitting? :-] ) But the way it seems to me, that seal might be bad. The fuel pressure might leak back into the tank, accounting for the hard starts because the pump is having to build back up to 47psi. I might account for the bad boosting, as it might not be able to build enough fuel pressure under boost as the fuel is blowing back into the tank. Could it be ? I'm going to check the seal and fit of the pump myself tomorrow.

comments/questions/suggestions?

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Still not running right...., Erik, Dec-29-00 09:44 AM, #1
RE: Still not running right...., TeamWyatt, Dec-30-00 04:58 AM, #2
      TPS, 95ESi, Dec-30-00 05:09 AM, #3
      doubt it..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-30-00 08:44 PM, #4
           won't start, 95ESi, Dec-31-00 12:56 AM, #5
                Leon and Darkone, e-mail me your phone numbers would you?, TeamWyatt, Dec-31-00 04:49 AM, #6
                     Sent..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-31-00 07:27 AM, #7
                          RE: Sent..., 95ESi, Dec-31-00 03:33 PM, #8

ErikDec-29-00 09:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#516, "RE: Still not running right...."
In response to Reply # 0

might try getting a vaccuum gauge that fits in your gas door. I haven't seen too many but I know they're out there. That will tell you if you if the pump is working right, if it builds pressure then the vaccuum will be there too. It sounds alot like a TPS though. If you can find one from a buddy and put it in to see if that works. Those little guys can wreak some real havoc. I mean they do some weird sh*t sometimes. But for 75 bucks it's too expensive to guess on. Good luck.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamWyattDec-30-00 04:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#517, "RE: Still not running right...."
In response to Reply # 1

I don't think its the fuel pump. I was leary of the fuel pump too but it flows PLENTY of fuel under boost. IT really sounds like a TPS sensor or another sensor that is was going out before the turbo. There is someone else with the HRC kit complaining about the same thing, laggy before boost abd such. I know the TPS sensors are really senstive, specially if any water gets in them. Once in a whil mine acts the same way, I shoul dhave my datalogger when I get home so I'll know more then.
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

95ESiDec-30-00 05:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#518, "TPS"
In response to Reply # 2

Hmm, with all this TPS talk, I'm wondering if mine is ok or not. What signs or symptons to look for? (off boost, and on boost)

I wonder, would those cold air intakes be a cause of dead TPS?

l e o n

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-30-00 08:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#519, "doubt it..."
In response to Reply # 2

I'm starting to think it's the sparkplugs. I know this is horrible per the turbogs bible (where and whatever it may be) but i am running NGK bkr5e plugs, gapped at .050 .. I think the sputtering and loss of power i feel under wide throtle and boost might be due to the wide plug gap and the density of the air/fuel mixture under boost. My local bap/geon tried to tell me that NGK didn't make a bkr7e-11 plug, until i convinced them to call ngk, after which they told a diferent story. I'll have the new plugs sometime next week. Hopefuly that will clear up my problems (i'm doubtful) but i have my fingers crossed. I can't hit full boost and i've never heard my wastegate open because i'm afraid to give it that much throttle because of the way it has been running under wide throttle. It's backfired a few times when i don't lket off it and it starts sputtering, and i really don't like it.

It's also really hard to start. I'm not sure why, but if anyone has had this experiance after a tirbo install, i'd appreciate any input. I have to lean on the ignition for a good 15 seconds to get it to turn over on it's own, and even then it doesn't seem to want to start.

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

95ESiDec-31-00 12:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#520, "won't start"
In response to Reply # 4

I suspect the unwillingness to start has something to do with the fuel pump?

I think this because right after I put in my fuel pump, I couldn't seem to start the car without cranking it for at least twice...before it was quick start to life...

l e o n

TeamWyattDec-31-00 04:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#521, "Leon and Darkone, e-mail me your phone numbers would you?"
In response to Reply # 5

I have your #'s, just not with me were mI am. E-mail me your phone numbers and I'll try and help you out.

fastgs@pacbell.net
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-31-00 07:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#522, "Sent..."
In response to Reply # 6

Check your mail.

-DarkOne

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

95ESiDec-31-00 03:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#523, "RE: Sent..."
In response to Reply # 7

Let me know we you've tried and whether or not you've resolved the problem?

I can't try anything now cause my car isn't driveable. =(

l e o n

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #515 Previous topic | Next topic