Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #49920
View in linear mode

Subject: "why does my ECU "hickup"?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Jun-04-03 10:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49920, "why does my ECU "hickup"?"
Jun-04-03 10:21 AM by ner947

starting a few days ago for no good reason at all, under full boost (12-14 psi) i get this really weird fuel cut feeling thing. the engine will make a brief "chuff" noize, and the check engine will turn off for a brief second, then go back on like it usually is. here's the story:

1. my oxygen sensor voltage is about .93 to .94 at full throttle at full boost
2. i have the OEM NGK plugs, gapped to .030
3. my MAP voltage doesn't go above 4.60 volts (fuel cut for me at least starts around 4.67-4.69 volts)
4. my fuel filter was changed last august, when i did the turbo install
5. i don't burn any oil, i don't have any blow-by, my catch can fills up about 1/3 to the top every few months, it's a little larger than a perscription bottle
6. the "emergency boost limiter" thingy on my electronic boost controller is set to 1.10 bar, and i've never gone above 1.03 according to the peak boost thingy

i haven't datalogged yet. i'll probably see what the codes are, i bet they're just the usual ones like the AFC CEL, and the EVAP CEL that i've gotten since day one...

anyone have any ideas? is my car just having PMS?

EDIT: if i turn boost down it seems to go away. 10+ psi has issues, but 8 psi is fine.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Teamner947Jun-09-03 02:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50179, "RE: why does my ECU"
In response to Reply # 0

bump... for the record, i installed the crane firewire 8.5mm spark plug wires and the "screamin' demon'" coilpack today and it fixed the problem. no more flashy CEL/"fuel cut".

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-10-03 04:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#50289, "RE: why does my ECU"
In response to Reply # 1

It it happens again, you may be intermittantly losing the cam or crank angle sensors. When that happens, the car will lose spark and fuel for a second, chug, backfire, fall on its face.. then pick right back up and go. Just a thought..

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Teamner947Jun-12-03 04:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#50372, "RE: why does my ECU"
In response to Reply # 2

hey dino, you were 100% correct. it was a problem with my camshaft posistion sensor...

after i installed the new spark plug wires and the new coilpack, the problem came back on my 2nd test drive. i just dealt with it for about a week, until last night when i was in deep thought about the problem on my way to new england dragway.

the camshaft posistion sensor is like a hall effect sensor, right? all it knows is when the magnet mounted on the exhaust camshaft goes by it and it sends a signal to the ECU so it can figure out things like timing and fuel stuff. i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

well, being the tard that i am, a long time ago i decided to mount my electronic boost controller on one of the 10mm bolts that holds the camshaft posistion sensor to the head. the bulk of the EVC was always less than 1" from the camshaft posistion sensor. it seemed like a nice place for it at the time.

how does a electronic boost controller work you say? well, it has only 2 wires going to it. i bet it's just 12 volts, going to a coil that moves a cylinder to open and close a valve. last time i checked, if you put power into a coil it makes a

magnetic field.

ha. took me FOREVER to realize that. my electronic boost controller has been making large enough magnetic fields to interfere with my camshaft posistion sensor. explains the fact that if i turned the boost controller down all the way i wouldn't have the problem anymore, because it would just stay open the whole time and not fool the 5 psi wastegate on my 16g.

this morning i took the EVC off and moved it to a better spot, and the problem is GONE.

wow.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

rfpunchJun-12-03 04:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
518 posts,
#50374, "RE: why does my ECU"
In response to Reply # 1

>bump... for the record, i installed the crane firewire 8.5mm
>spark plug wires and the "screamin' demon'" coilpack today and
>it fixed the problem. no more flashy CEL/"fuel cut".

off topic, where did you get the crane wires and what is the "screamin demon" coilpack?

98 Eclipse GS Turbo - SOLD
03 Eclipse GT
05 Suzuki GSXR 600

Teamner947Jun-12-03 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#50375, "RE: why does my ECU"
In response to Reply # 4

coilpack http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howell/Store/catalog/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=671

spark plug wires http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howell/Store/catalog/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=192

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #49920 Previous topic | Next topic