Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #485
View in linear mode

Subject: "hypothitically speaking........????" Previous topic | Next topic
dsm1Dec-28-00 05:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
388 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#485, "hypothitically speaking........????"

lets say I install a simple stageI turbo kit on my car. lets say I dont use any boost controller of any type,is there a factory setting of boost it will work at or will it just keep boostin till the happy little 420A breaks?

STAR Turbo stage II
180whp @ 5psi(untuned)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-28-00 05:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#486, "RE: hypothitically speaking........????"
In response to Reply # 0

The wastegate will limit your boost to whatever the spring setting in it is. I have the stage 2 without a boost controller and it will only go to about 5 PSI at the manifold because of the wastegate's 7 pound spring. You'd be safe.

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsDec-29-00 10:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#487, "RE: hypothitically speaking........????"
In response to Reply # 1

Thats what Wyatt thought too....right before running 20+ psi and destroying his internals.

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-29-00 11:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#488, "Well..."
In response to Reply # 2

He tried to adjust it to get more boost and went a little too far. The wastegate is regulated at about 7 pounds by it's spring. if you don't mess with it, it will work fine, as far as i'm concerned.

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

95ESiDec-29-00 02:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#489, "RE: Well..."
In response to Reply # 3

Poor Wyatt inadvertently closed off the wastegate accidently by turning that adjustment screw.

Becareful with that thing!

l e o n

TeamWyattDec-30-00 04:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#490, "glad to see people learning from my mistakes :)"
In response to Reply # 4

Yes, be careful how much you turn that load spring down. Make sure you have a coupl e threads showing on the top.
And NEVER adjust it right before a race. That is what happend to me. I was goin gup against a modified turbo MR2 (turns high 13's) and I turning the load adjustment screw in a little to far. Well, when your racing you barely look at your gauges so i din't even notice how much boost I was running. I shoul dhave known I was running insane amount of boost considering I got a really bad start on teh mr2, but I was passing him like he was going backwards at about the 1/8th mile, then I notice my EGT blinking at me that I was REALLY hot but it was to late.
My car has never felt that fast needless to say.
So, moral of the stoy is don't screw that load spring in all the way. and if you do adjust it for a little more boost keep your eyes on your boost gauge. Its kinda funny, it wil hold about 6psi for a fraction of a second, then spike to about 20psi+ if your not careful.
Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #485 Previous topic | Next topic