Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #38769
View in linear mode

Subject: "Phantom Grip" Previous topic | Next topic
MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-08-03 12:34 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38769, "Phantom Grip"

sup men, getting ready to have the tranny rebuilt and i'm pretty set on a lsd ....i can't see buying a quaife when it costs more than the rebuild itself..its just stupid, theres no way that have that much into the product to sell for that...anyhow i've been looking at the phantom grip and the premise seems fairly simple...now i've heard that they can wear out and break, thats about the last thing i need to worry about...for only 250 its pretty much disposable, has anyone had any luck with them...i'm setup for stage IV right now so i expect to put down some big numbers on the dyno this summer...what i'm thinking of doing for some added security is to have john sheperd rebuild the tranny and have the gears and syncros cryo'd for some beef...the guys on the neon board seem to think the tranny can take upwards of 500+...what do you guys think...i really didn't build a auto cross car or a drag car, more of highway and street action i get into..the tranny only took me an hour and a half to drop but i dont want to keep doing it if the phantom grip cant hang w/ the power..any of you big boys using an lsd or you think i should stay away from it?thanks.

400whp or bust.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Phantom Grip, 420aVenger, Feb-08-03 04:16 PM, #1
RE: Phantom Grip, Strauss, Feb-08-03 04:29 PM, #2
      RE: Phantom Grip, Jasvb TS2K2, Feb-08-03 06:25 PM, #3
           RE: Phantom Grip, JustOne, Feb-08-03 11:06 PM, #4
                RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-09-03 06:46 AM, #5
                     RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-09-03 07:00 AM, #6
                          RE: Phantom Grip, JustOne, Feb-09-03 08:12 AM, #7
                               RE: Phantom Grip, Super20G, Feb-09-03 08:49 AM, #8
                                    RE: Phantom Grip, 95 silver gs, Feb-09-03 10:17 AM, #9
                                         RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-09-03 10:22 AM, #10
                                              RE: Phantom Grip, Super20G, Feb-09-03 02:01 PM, #11
                                              RE: Phantom Grip, PowerEclipses, Feb-10-03 02:29 PM, #26
RE: Phantom Grip, boostinvegas, Feb-09-03 03:28 PM, #12
RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-09-03 03:50 PM, #13
      RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-09-03 06:36 PM, #14
           RE: Phantom Grip, JustOne, Feb-09-03 07:09 PM, #15
                RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-10-03 08:05 AM, #16
                     RE: Phantom Grip, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-10-03 09:21 AM, #17
                          RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-10-03 10:05 AM, #18
                          RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-10-03 10:16 AM, #19
                               RE: Phantom Grip, JustOne, Feb-10-03 10:26 AM, #20
                                    RE: Phantom Grip, whodatt1, Feb-10-03 10:28 AM, #21
                                         RE: Phantom Grip, Kirby, Feb-10-03 11:33 AM, #22
                                              RE: Phantom Grip, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-10-03 12:17 PM, #23
                                              RE: Phantom Grip, Super20G, Feb-10-03 12:18 PM, #24
                                                   RE: Phantom Grip, Kirby, Feb-10-03 12:38 PM, #25
                                                        RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-10-03 03:32 PM, #27
                                                             RE: Phantom Grip, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-10-03 05:47 PM, #28
                                                                  RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-10-03 05:49 PM, #29
                                                                       RE: Phantom Grip, Super20G, Feb-10-03 06:23 PM, #30
                                                                            RE: Phantom Grip, Jasvb TS2K2, Feb-10-03 07:14 PM, #31
                                                                                 RE: Phantom Grip, TeamMetalJim, Feb-10-03 08:11 PM, #32
                                                                                      RE: Phantom Grip, optimuspeterson, Feb-10-03 09:18 PM, #34
                          RE: Phantom Grip, Bryanacr, Feb-10-03 09:09 PM, #33
                               RE: Phantom Grip, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-11-03 06:46 AM, #35
                                    RE: Phantom Grip, TeamMuRiX, Feb-11-03 07:07 AM, #36
                                    RE: Phantom Grip, Bryanacr, Feb-11-03 04:44 PM, #37
                                         RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-12-03 03:05 PM, #38
                                         RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-13-03 10:05 AM, #39
                                              RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-13-03 11:08 AM, #40
                                         RE: Phantom Grip, jcurcillo, Feb-16-03 08:39 AM, #41
                                              RE: Phantom Grip, HadesOmega, Feb-17-03 12:00 AM, #42
                                                   RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-17-03 10:05 AM, #43
                                                        RE: Phantom Grip, HiOnPSI, Feb-17-03 04:20 PM, #44
                                                             RE: Phantom Grip, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Feb-17-03 07:55 PM, #45
                                                                  RE: Phantom Grip, HadesOmega, Feb-17-03 08:54 PM, #46

420aVengerFeb-08-03 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38785, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Just incase you didn't know about these...save you some money.

http://www.newskoolracing.com/dc.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

StraussFeb-08-03 04:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
953 posts,
#38786, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't have any personal experience with the unit, but it seems good to me.....for the price anyway. I'm going to get one this spring, but I belive JustOne on this board has one and was last running 18psi+ on his with no problems as of yet. It comes down to price factor....if you can afford the quaife, get it...no doubt. It WILL hold whatever you put to it. I figure you can't go wrong with the price of the phantom....but the quaife is for sure a better product.....I'm gonna give it a shot! Anything will be better than spinning one tire down the road up to 70mph!

Jasvb TS2K2Feb-08-03 06:25 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#38793, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah the Quaife is the beast but if you are like me that is not a series racer, meaning only weekend warrior , than the PG will do. I am getting mine along with the Fidanza flywheel in March. I have only heard good things about both.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2

JustOneFeb-08-03 11:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#38799, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 3

VERY solid upgrade, I love it!

I can leave two lines when I shift down to third from 4th at 20psi and WOT on the highway. I had a guy in a 32 roadster follow me for 20 miles just to tell me that he thought "seeing a fwd car do that was the coolest thing ever". I told him I would trade if he wanted but he declined. He had no trouble keeping up w/ me.

Anyway...I think it's a great buy for the price and if you drag race only don't waste the cash on the Quaife.

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 06:46 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#38806, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 4

hey justone did you ever get the Quaife installed??

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 07:00 AM
2745 posts,
#38807, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 5

i dont know if i trust the NSR one yet...if people can give me reason to trust it then ill buy it.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

JustOneFeb-09-03 08:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#38810, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes it’s in but I still need like 250 miles on the clutch break-in before I can really test the bitch out. So far it feels better a little better in the turns but I won’t really know until the break-in is done.

I have seen the pics of the knock off version and I couldn’t tell you if it was better or not. They should act the same in characteristics and performance (w/ equal springs). I think the PG would last longer though because it is 100% steel and the other is aluminum and steel. I personally wouldn't put that a piece of aluminum in-between my spider gears but that is just me. Let’s say the piece wore out, once you wore through the steel on top it wouldn’t be a pretty thing when it got down to the aluminum. I kind of think the engineer behind the PG would have made it out of aluminum if he could have in the first place. It's way cheaper than the steel they use.

Just my .02
Brian

Super20GFeb-09-03 08:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38812, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 7

It's all a budget thing, and what application your really using it for.

Of course, you'll never beat the brute strength of the Quaife unit, thats why its backed with a lifetime warrenty, they basically dare you to break the unit.

But if money is a big option(cause there is a BIG difference) and you dont get all that nasty on it, the PG isnt a bad buy. You just have to remember its a modified stock unit, so its gonna handle what the stock unit handles basically, and w/ the added stress of more traction, you cant be cranking it too high(on a TUNED engine) and expect it to do its duty.. Also you gotta remember factors like wheelhop will grenade the tranny real quick, expecially if your getting nasty w/ the boost controller.

Basically, the reason I went w/ the Quaife lsd is because if I have a fully built engine, I'm gonna treat it very very bad and if I would have bought a PG for ~250, and blew my tranny, then I'd be out the PG, the tranny, and then still had to buy a new tranny and the quaife to do it right again, plus the PITA labor.

95 silver gsFeb-09-03 10:17 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2002
853 posts,
#38816, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 8

I was wondering if anyone has a phantom grip they could send me or no of anyone with one that is out of there car that they could send me one or have blue prints or demntions and i would be able to make some of them for some guys/gals on the boards. Hit me up at nitro312@hotmail.com

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 10:22 AM
2745 posts,
#38817, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 9

yea,but as long as nobodys reported any problems with it yet, why not go for it.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

Super20GFeb-09-03 02:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38827, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 10

>yea,but as long as nobodys reported any problems with it yet,
>why not go for it.

Yeah, for MOST applications I say go for it, BUT for stage 4+ guys that pound on it, I say rethink your strat. IF you get a PG and you DO blow up the tranny, you'd be spending more $$ in the long run to end up doing the right thing(and if you're already stage 4+, you probably have the $$ to do it right)... For all others under 350+hp goals, I say go for a conversion unit cause 2 wheels are better than one

PowerEclipsesFeb-10-03 02:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#38910, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 10

>yea,but as long as nobodys reported any problems with it yet,
>why not go for it.
>
>
>Jon
>
>1997 Eclipse RS
>
>14.21@101mph 10/4/02

because if you saw what super20g said, he brought up a very good point, its still all stock, if your only planning on going stage 2-3 im sure its a great option to have... but anything more then that and running 18psi daily or with stage 4+ if your spending that much money on the car you dont want to have a stock tranny that wont be able to handle the powah.

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

boostinvegasFeb-09-03 03:28 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2002
29 posts,
#38832, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

I had the PG in my car, 5000 miles later, time for tranny rebuild. The bearings on the spider gears wear very fast do to too much pressure caused by the springs inside the PG. It will start to wine when you let off the gas, then all the time. It may not happen as soon as it did for me, but it will.

HiOnPSIFeb-09-03 03:50 PM
2745 posts,
#38837, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 12

Well i'm limited for the summer...I'd like to do the HRC FMIC and piping instead of the Quaife and just do a PG. Probably one big mod this summer...gotta choose . Plus, i gotta buy the MSD (or whatever the hot thing is by summer) and some more gauges...and get the damn injectors in.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-09-03 06:36 PM
793 posts,
#38851, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 13

now you've got me worried about this...man that quaife is a lot of dough...so in a nut shell ive gathered that the pg is only made to hold up to our stock power, a sorry 115 to the wheels, and that the bearings are going to be shot anyhow...now are these bearings replaced w/ the quaife unit or can i expect to be replacing these as well w/ that unit??? man i was looking forward to the pg but i am running out of resources by now..i've got close to 7k in the car in the last 6 months w/ the rebuild and everything else...now another grand into the rebuild...Justone, how long did you boost 20 psi on the pg and why did you upgrade..piece of mind? or blown tranny? boostinvegas what kind of power were you putting to the lsd? the diff bearings, these only went due to the added stress of the lsd?? thanks guys..i wish we had a place to send our tranny like the 4g63 guys do and get all the good upgrades...double syncros, shift forks..the works..i am working on this though...the nhra driver John Sheperd is doing my rebuild after i told him about this board and the kind of business he could see from it..would be nice to double syncro 2nd and 3rd...

400whp or bust.

JustOneFeb-09-03 07:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#38861, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 14

My PG held 350fwhp no problem...

I had the Quaife before I bought the PG. I wanted to see what the differences were. So far the Quaife feels a little better in the turns, other than that nothing different.

--Vegas--
By bearings do you mean the large washers right behind the spider gears? If so which ones wore out (large ones or small ones)? The PG only pushes on the two larger spider gears.

IMO as of now the PG is very solid. Maybe I will put it back in and run it until something happens. It seems to be unproven so maybe I will test it out more and see what comes of it. ????

All I know is I boost harder than most on this board and I like it a lot and as of today it never caused problem.

Something breaks or wears out my opinion will change, of course

Brian

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-10-03 08:05 AM
793 posts,
#38876, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 15

thats cool...thanks for the quick reply..i think i'll have one put in...i just can't swing the extra 900 right now...plus i'd rather put that towards a fluidyne rad w/ some spal fans...anxious to hear mrvegas's info on those bearings/washers as well...

400whp or bust.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-10-03 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#38883, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 16

The Phantom Grip is badly designed and will invariably lead to failure of the unit. Metal on metal is not the way to lock a diff - it's lunacy. People compensate for the inadequate locking grip by using even heavier springs, which just further stresses the unit. I don't care if it works or not - there's better designed options out there for similar if not better pricing. Alternatives that include properly rated springs and the addition of a clutch materal to hold on the planetaries, which have been machined flat to take the material.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

HiOnPSIFeb-10-03 10:05 AM
2745 posts,
#38886, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 17

whats this, i'm interested, dino..

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-10-03 10:16 AM
793 posts,
#38888, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 18

well you've got me interested...can you refer me to some sites or companies whom sell these alternatives?

400whp or bust.

JustOneFeb-10-03 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#38889, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 19

intrest here...links???

whodatt1Feb-10-03 10:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#38890, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 20

well i was thinking of buying the PG for running 15psi, but now you have my interest Dino, let us know more.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

KirbyFeb-10-03 11:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#38894, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 21

Yes Dino we would like the details, the big boy's clearly want to play.... I was contemplating how I would explain the price of the Q. to my GF the other day, so other options would be welcome..

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-10-03 12:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#38897, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 22

I am currently in contact with a company that is building true limited slip conversions for our stock units. We are stamping out the last of the bugs. I am currently running one of the prototype models (i didn't have much input during the build process, as i didn't know i was going to end up with it) with cut back axles (stock length was too long with this unit, will be corrected before they are made public.) and it freakin ROCKS. The wet traction and cornering are hugely improved - when wet or dry, going into a corner, i can stomp the gas and be forcibly yanked through a corner. The car is infinitely more stable under power. AND, no metal on metal lock. No overcompressed coil springs to make up for the crappy locking design. No added stress on the diff housing from trying to hold the thing together under the 1000psi spring pressures with a slipping metal on metal hold.

This same company is also working on fully adjustable lower control arms for camber correction. No more offset bushings!

I'll have more info soon. I am trying to get my contact with this company to come here and post info for all of you who are interested.

Also, if anyone has (cough*JustOne*cough) a stock axle (dead or alive, just need the splined end and axle cup), i could use it. Same for a stock diff, preferably alive.

if anyone is interested in sending these things to Carlton, i can give you an email address privately.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Super20GFeb-10-03 12:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#38898, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 22

I had a guy I know build an alternative to the poorly designed PG for Kyle to use actually, but he traded in his car so we ending up getting it in Dino's tranny, the design I beleive is sound, but still needs some work, doesn't sound like a bad first attempt though from what Carl(the builder) and Dino say, other than axle length wants taken into account very well and leaks tranny fluid If people are actually interested, maby I could have him work on a little better design to fix this problem. He has just opened his business making conversions for a lot of other cars, you might have seen him in some grassroots magazines lately. Price point will be similar to the PG, and he doesnt have core's yet to cutdown on downtime, but I have 3-4 diffs laying around to get him started on. Dino will probably drop back by here to share his comments on the matter, I really havent got a chance to talk to him much about it since he finally got it.

KirbyFeb-10-03 12:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#38901, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 24

Well guy's you have my intrest, one question though...Will we have to get the axles shortend for the final product?, or will it work with the stockers? I am intrested though. I will have the engine out in a few weeks so hopefully they will have one ready by then.

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

HiOnPSIFeb-10-03 03:32 PM
2745 posts,
#38916, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 25

oh, dino, i got a hardon (not really). You gotta get these things (wahtever they are) done by spring. ..i will give anything for cheap LSD that works!!! Is there a writeup, explanation anywhere that describes it in detail?

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

TeamXtremeRSFeb-10-03 05:47 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#38934, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 27

Hell i'd be happy if we can get them by the Shootout! Keep us updated

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-10-03 05:49 PM
793 posts,
#38935, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 28

dino what kind of time are we looking at...sucks that i'm needing it real soon...is this something i could get my hands on in the next two weeks..name your price sir, i'm interested

400whp or bust.

Super20GFeb-10-03 06:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#38938, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 29

Carl is a real good guy, i met him a few years ago when i was selling a NOS setup, older gentleman, been around the racing scene forever, but is new to imports as he is used to his older cars he gets nasty drifting around.

You can count on him taking awhile though, unless he's got a fire under his butt recently, it took me 6 months to coherce him into just giving us a shot(for our stock diff), then another 8 months or so to do the work and get it back to us to test.

And thank Dino for the testing, and Kyle for the stock diff for the prototype.... I already had a Quaife installed a few weeks before I met him way back when, so I really didnt wanna pull my tranny back apart for testing and then back apart.. Keep a fire under him Dino, sounds like finally people are interested.

Jasvb TS2K2Feb-10-03 07:14 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#38943, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 30

Perhaps I am going against the current here but this sounds too me like a long term deal and no real prices yet. And I'd want to give it some time for R&D. The PG seems to have worked for many and I need something soon. So unless I am convinced of it I am going this route.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2

TeamMetalJimFeb-10-03 08:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#38945, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 31

I don't have any immediate plans to go limited slip, definately in the future but not the immediate one. This new unit sounds very promising. Please keep us posted about it.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

optimuspetersonFeb-10-03 09:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#38949, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 32

this new alternative sounds great. But to the orginal post i also have the PG and i really like it. When i was turbo'd running a way untuned 7 psi i could pull e-brake and sit there burn both wheels until i got bored.

I'm NA right now but it still is very solid(although i can't burn them worth shit). But i don't know what side effects will be in time.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

BryanacrFeb-10-03 09:09 PM
Member since Feb 11th 2003
26 posts,
#38947, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 17

>Metal on metal is not the way to lock
>a diff - it's lunacy. People compensate for the inadequate
>locking grip by using even heavier springs, which just further
>stresses the unit. I don't care if it works or not - there's
>better designed options out there for similar if not better
>pricing. Alternatives that include properly rated springs and
>the addition of a clutch materal to hold on the planetaries,
>which have been machined flat to take the material.

I couldn't disagree more. I have researched this to extreme measures. Have you ever opened up the case on yout NV Trans? Metal on metal is how your trans operates, thats what Manual trans fluid is for. I designed this SID with input from New Venture and got alot of positive response from them. My units use steel similiar to the same steel that your trans components are made of. As far as using heavier springs placing stress on the unit goes....this is how the unit works. The more "stress" you place on the unit the less slip you will incur. That is the entire technology behind the unit. As far as these type of units "destroying your trans", i have customers running high boost levels in several different vehicles with zero failuers.....

www.newskoolracing.com

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-11-03 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#38956, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 33

it is not a risk i would be willing to take. Your SID is not a PG, but any other input you may have is welcome.

As far as metal on metal and that's how it works, metal to metal contact on gear teeth that are designed for that contact is one thing. Metal to metal frictional contact on a gear face where it was not designed for it is another entirely. I am not saying it does not work, i am simply saying that there are better, safer, more efficient alternatives in the works for similar if not better pricing than the PG. The designer isn't going to be willing to compete with your SID as far as price goes, so you don't have that to worry about.

..and yes, i have been inside the NV-T350 on many occasions, for what it is worth.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

TeamMuRiXFeb-11-03 07:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#38957, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 35

For what it is worth, I love my Quaife and think that a lsd must be one of the most improtant mods for any fwd car concerned with performance. With that in mind I completely justify the cost of the Quaife as I wanted the best option available. There is a very discernable difference when driving an open diff and lsd fwd car.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

BryanacrFeb-11-03 04:44 PM
Member since Feb 11th 2003
26 posts,
#38989, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 35

>I
>am not saying it does not work, i am simply saying that there
>are better, safer, more efficient alternatives in the works
>for similar if not better pricing than the PG.

I appreciate your comments, but disagree with this statement. I believe my units are safe, and efficient. How more efficient can you get than direct pressure? As fas as "Better" goes, we will see i guess....

www.newskoolracing.com

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-12-03 03:05 PM
793 posts,
#39051, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 37

ok..no screwing around, i'm getting the quaife...at the power i'll be making i should consider nothing else...its more of a safety net than anything...wheres the cheapest place to get it?? i have a place in michigan that i can get it through w/ my vendors acct. for 1023 my cost..anyone know of a cheaper place than that???

400whp or bust.

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-13-03 10:05 AM
793 posts,
#39102, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 38

bump....need to get soon...done some searching but 1200+ is all i come up w/ ...thanks..

400whp or bust.

HiOnPSIFeb-13-03 11:08 AM
2745 posts,
#39104, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 39

That's the cheapest i've seen, but i'm going to hold off, i DO need something by July though. This is what i'm saving for now :

mm....

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

jcurcilloFeb-16-03 08:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
396 posts,
#39246, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 37

>I appreciate your comments, but disagree with this statement.
>I believe my units are safe, and efficient. How more
>efficient can you get than direct pressure? As fas as
>"Better" goes, we will see i guess....

Bryanacr,

So what kind of warranty do you give on these units? I don't see any information posted on your web site regarding warranty. I am very interested in this unit. One more question. What exactlly is the unit made of? Is it a mixed aloy?

HadesOmegaFeb-17-03 12:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#39307, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 41

arrghhh I want LSD now how does that NSR thingy do around the corners, that's mainly what I use my car for. I got the engine out so I might as well go all the way haha not quaife all the way though.

that unit Dino is testing out looks great too, if it can make it public b4 I get done with my car I'll definately go for it. Can you say group buy? I know I can trust Dino to get products out

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-17-03 10:05 AM
793 posts,
#39333, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 42

i would be interested as well..i'm kind of leaning towards the quaife b/c its more than durable, they warranty even when racing and its proven...plus its a true lsd whereas the pg is only an insert...works pretty much the same but then again it doesn't...if i knew that the pg wasn't going to blow up and take my tranny out i would probably lean towards that b/c of the price...huge diff there...i have posted on dsm talk about it and there are some guys putting down huge numbers w/ the quaife plus most of the stage 4 guys on here are using it..rumor is that the pg will only hold 350 hp w/ the upgraded springs...now i don't think i'll be doing that much daily but its nice to have the piece of mind that if i was the quaife will hold this and more...i guess you get what you pay for ww/ that...at 1200 its not a cheap mod at all..could have a freakin fp green for that...

400whp or bust.

HiOnPSIFeb-17-03 04:20 PM
2745 posts,
#39357, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 43

got any more info dino??

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

MR BLUNT 2gntFeb-17-03 07:55 PM
793 posts,
#39373, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 44

dino is there a way you can post some info on this...i am interested and in desperate need...i am about to spend a grand on the quaife in the next two days...email me, pm me..post here..would like to know whats up w/ this ....thanks

400whp or bust.

HadesOmegaFeb-17-03 08:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#39376, "RE: Phantom Grip"
In response to Reply # 45

ahh yes but I've only heard good things about the PG as well, for its price its well worth it and such. But I guess if you going for insane horsepower number the qaife would be a better investment for you.

Umm so does continually spinning the tires while going sideways mess up a differential? haha cuz I can spin them pretty easily while drifting

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #38769 Previous topic | Next topic