Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #38253
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac" Previous topic | Next topic
TeametxJan-29-03 11:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38253, "Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"

Hello! I’m new to the board. I installed a HRC stage 2 kit with the FMIC. I keeps cutting out when i get to 0 vacuum. The engine does not stall out completely, but i can feel it hesitate. If i give it more gas it will jump over the 0 and boost, at that point the engine runs fine. Also the check engine light will come on when it happens. The ecu is saying the MAP sensor voltage is too high. I installed the 'fuel defenser' properly. After tweaking my fuel pressure regulator i got it to work better. no more check engine light, but it still cuts out at 0 once and a while. Yesterday i got the check light again. now its a P0171 "A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated for fuel system 1/1". Any idea what that is? The regulator is setup for about 45 psi at idle, 60 psi at 0 vac and 85 psi at 6 pounds boost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Also anyone know of any good exaust systems for this kind of setup? I may just take it into a shop and have them bend one up for me. THANKS!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac, whodatt1, Jan-29-03 12:11 PM, #1
RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac, pn0ymahal, Jan-29-03 12:26 PM, #2
RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac, dudasd, Jan-29-03 12:31 PM, #3
      RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac, PowerEclipses, Jan-29-03 03:51 PM, #4
      RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac, Teametx, Jan-30-03 03:04 PM, #5
RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac, TeamXtremeRS, Jan-30-03 03:27 PM, #6

whodatt1Jan-29-03 12:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#38258, "RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"
In response to Reply # 0

might want to look into getting the missing link, it will prevent your map sensor from seing boost. your fuel defensor might be bad.
do you have an A/F gauge? if not get one it will tell you if your mixture is lean or rich or just right.
I run about 100psi of fuel press at 8psi. so you might be a bit on the lean side. but again get an A/F gauge and it will tell you.
ohh if you get a catback made, make sure it is mandrel bent and atleast 2.5" that will be good for about 300hp.

hope that helps.
Late

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

pn0ymahalJan-29-03 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#38259, "RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"
In response to Reply # 0

well make sure your fuel mapper is wired correctly. if it is when you check again let hrc know. but the hrc mapper is known to go bad sorta. i would replace it with a vc-1/2 it will clamp a certain voltage once it goes into boost. try removing the hrc mapper from the map sensor and see if it does the same thing when you go into boost. it should be the same feeling. once you get to 0psi its like oh shit like its going to cut off then goes into boost... besides getting the vc-1/2 you could get the new 'missing link' the vc-1/2 goes for about 65 bucks about it think, and the missing link goes for about 55 bucks.
also your idle fuel pressure should be 47-55psi for stock fuel setup. if your hrc fpr keep flux i would replace it with a vortex super fmu later. a lean code bank 1 should be your front o2 sensor if you got alot of miles on your ride or if you might have drop it etc while it was out of the car i would replace it.
good luck man
Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
Stage 3 process begins gathering parts for rebuild

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast

dudasdJan-29-03 12:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#38261, "RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"
In response to Reply # 2

Definitely lose the HRC FCD and get a missing link. Also make sure your plugs are gapped properly(between .030 and .035) If you still have the FPR that came with the kit, make sure that you have it mounted straight up and down and that when you make any adjustments that you tighten it down really tight. And for some reason make sure you have over a 1/4 tank of gas as that is the only time my pressure seems to dip a little bit. You should have the idle pressure a little higher also, mine is at 57 right now and it runs good so far......

PowerEclipsesJan-29-03 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#38277, "RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"
In response to Reply # 3

Sounds like a boost leak to me...thats what my car did when I had one

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

TeametxJan-30-03 03:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#38329, "RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"
In response to Reply # 3

Hrmmmmm.. I do have my fuel pressure regulator on a 45 digree to clear my hood. That may be a problem! My plugs are gaped to .035. If i get the missing link can i remove the fuel defenser? would i need anything else? I dont see from the photos how that missing link thing works. I dont THINK thier is any boost leak going on. And I am sure the fuel mapper is installed correctly. Im an electronics guy more than a mechanical guy! HRC Tech seems to be willing to bet his farm and tractor that my fuel mapper is fine. And i do have a A/F gauge, its all blinky lights to me. when idleing it will go up to slightly rich, then back down to nothing (no light). When im driving it will go up and down quickly. And when I really open it up the light is steady between stoich and rich. Sound good? Thanks for all your guys suggestions!!! I never knew thier are so many people that love DSM's and much as I do! Time to play with the car some more! -Derek

TeamXtremeRSJan-30-03 03:27 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#38331, "RE: Help! HRC Stage 2 cutting out at 0 vac"
In response to Reply # 0

Try boosting a little without the fuel mapper connected to the map sensor. If then, when you hit 0 vac, and the car runs fine, then its something with the FCD mapper. I was having lean issues with my FCD a good time back, and i just took it off for a bit. Of course it hit fuel cut when up in boost, but it took care of finding out what the problem was- the FCD. The Missing Link will go in between the intake mani, and the stock map sensor. The ML will bolt onto where the map was, then the map will bolt onto the top of the ML. Its a simple check valve that will shut off any boost pressure to the map. Then the voltage the map will output will be the normal voltage at 0 vac, which is around 4.5 volts. You may want to check your map voltage with a digital multimeter. Turn the car to on, but motor off, and use the meter to measure the voltage on the map's wiring. It should be very close to 4.5 volts, give or take a tenth of a volt. Your problem sounds like a FCD or a map sensor issue for sure.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #38253 Previous topic | Next topic