Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #37163
View in linear mode

Subject: "stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???" Previous topic | Next topic
2gdsm_ncJan-08-03 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
274 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37163, "stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"

our stock manifold is cast iron correct. isnt welding on cast iron not so structurally sound. can i get some one who welds alot and knows to agree or disagree on this. im just trying to figure out these guys who do it. i know it saves a buck "now" but what about the long term. and can our stock many hold the temp and flow that a turbo demands??? anyone.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, MotoFool, Jan-08-03 05:30 PM, #1
RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, Teamdougie2, Jan-08-03 08:48 PM, #2
      RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, mcgyvr, Jan-09-03 12:34 AM, #3
RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, nosty_99rs, Jan-09-03 07:06 PM, #4
RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, Bryanacr, Jan-10-03 04:22 AM, #5
      RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, nosty_99rs, Jan-10-03 07:31 AM, #6
           RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, ez, Jan-10-03 02:50 PM, #7
                RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, TeamMetalJim, Jan-11-03 02:11 AM, #8
RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, WheatKing, Jan-12-03 09:17 AM, #9
RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, 420AYE, Jan-13-03 04:20 PM, #10
      RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, WheatKing, Jan-14-03 04:32 AM, #11
           RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???, TeamMetalJim, Jan-14-03 07:23 AM, #12

MotoFoolJan-08-03 05:30 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37164, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 0

u *can* weld it im not gonna say it *wont* hold the turbo up but for how long is the question im not sure about it flowing that well for a nice turbo setup when manifolds are as cheap as 250$ why bother i guess it is 250$ but in comarision to the rest of the price its cheap in my mind

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Jan-08-03 08:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#37165, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 1

The key is to make sure the cast iron is *REAL HOT* when welding to it. I'm not sure how well it would hold, but then again I've never heard of one NOT holding.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

mcgyvrJan-09-03 12:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#37166, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 2

its been done before using the stock manifold and no problems came from it, the guys at ASOG (well the ones that were there years ago) thats how they started with their turbo projects before hahn was a household name.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

nosty_99rsJan-09-03 07:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
77 posts,
#37167, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 0

from a flow aspect the design of the stock manifold is very directional, and i feel that it is a better design than some of the kit manifolds that are available. (i'm sorry but a log-style manifold doesn't look like it would flow well to me)now the problem with using the stock mani, atleast the way that wheatking used it, is were it places the turbo. you would have to lose your ac compressor and therefore your power steering, also your ac fan would have to go. you can probably keep your power steering if you used a smaller belt. i remember seeing some of the asog guys do up kits llike that. i think wheatking was one who had the pictures. visit the board and pm him.

also if you are using the stock manifold for a kit i don't see how you would be able to use a mitsubishi turbo bigger than a 18g. well it's not the turbo that is the problem but the size of the compressor housing. the tdo5h compresor housing causes the wastegate actuator to come in contact with the the coolant pipe that passes in front of the block. so i guess if you wanted to use a a turbo like a 20g on the stock mani you would just have to use a tdo5 housing and not the tdo6 that i comes with................ thats all i could think of right now

1999 eclipse rs
97-99 gs side skirts w/o door caps (looks better)
turbo high spoiler
17x7 team locos
sprint springs 2inch drop
custom turbo kit

and a number of o

BryanacrJan-10-03 04:22 AM
Member since Feb 11th 2003
26 posts,
#37168, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 4

>(i'm sorry but a log-style manifold doesn't look like it would flow well to me)

several racers have made well over 500 WHP with a log style manifold.

www.newskoolracing.com

nosty_99rsJan-10-03 07:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
77 posts,
#37169, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 5

sure power can be made with it, but the design of the manifold ,at least to me, doesn't look very efficient at all.

1999 eclipse rs
97-99 gs side skirts w/o door caps (looks better)
turbo high spoiler
17x7 team locos
sprint springs 2inch drop
custom turbo kit

and a number of o

ezJan-10-03 02:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#37170, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 6

we need to find the guy Shaun used for his NER manifold, that thing was pretty promising and it supposedly bolted to the HRC turbo

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TeamMetalJimJan-11-03 02:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#37171, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 7

Wheatking used the stock manifold. Evidently, you have to ditch the A/C because of the placement. I wish the pictures in this thread were still availiable, but they're not....so I can't tell if he welded some studs to it or if he just used 2 bolts to hang it. Anyway, here's the thread :
http://forums.2gnt.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1416&forum=DCForumID16

ride__________95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
power________Field SFC Hyper-R : Gude cams : Jeep TB : AFX UDP : ram air : test pipe : GST catback
suspention___Hurricane F/R lower strut ties : BOMZ F/R upper strut bars : ES inserts
sound________Kenwood KDC 5000 : Audiovox 8" sub toob : Xplod 222
shizzle_______AutoCommand remote start : dual air horns : Caspers o2 simulator(rear)
incomming___Bosal header(maybe), 14b turbosystem(eventually)
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph

WheatKingJan-12-03 09:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#37172, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Ahh.. the stock manifold for a turbo..

#1.. think of it as a turbo HEADER, because it's VERY directional. Spool was almost instant.. sounds like a jet, MUCH louder than ANY turbo i've heard spooling on any car lately.

#2.. it will flow better than the log style manifolds

#3.. it puts the turbo in a BAD spot.. for several reasons...

a) Oil flow out of the turbo isn't very vertical into the pan.
b) Need to loose the AC compressor
c) Turbo is VERY close to the fans

#4.. only 2 studs to hold turbo to manifold.. didn't leak though

As for pics just incase your the guy that bought the painted stock manifold that was advertised as a turbo manifold on ebay..

w3.asog.net/wheatking/turbo
w3.asog.net/wheatking/project/turbo
w3.asog.net/wheatking/project/turbo2

My advice.. get a turbo header built.. check out pic's of ESR's turbo header.. stainless spaghetti mess..

Doin it yourself *ISNT* cheaper than buying a kit.. it may be less expensive, but not by far as reliable or as easy. What you save in $$ you more than make up in other headaches.

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

420AYEJan-13-03 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#37173, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 9

Wheatking, that is cool. About how much did you spend on that? I see you put a piece of pipe in there and did you buy a bov flange or did you make it? and did you have to bend that piece of pipe for the downpipe? I'm also curious about the oil feed line. were there any problems with that? and how much are you boosting?

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

WheatKingJan-14-03 04:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#37174, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 10

>Wheatking, that is cool. About how much did you spend on
>that? I see you put a piece of pipe in there and did you buy
>a bov flange or did you make it? and did you have to bend
>that piece of pipe for the downpipe? I'm also curious about
>the oil feed line. were there any problems with that? and
>how much are you boosting?

see above..

Doin it yourself *ISNT* cheaper than buying a kit.. it may be less expensive, but not by far as reliable or as easy. What you save in $$ you more than make up in other headaches.

Basically if you have to ask me how i did it you don't have the necessary skills to do it yourself. Turbo systems AREN'T easy nor should they be easy.

Hahn doesn't pay me for this but they should.. BUY A HAHN KIT.

-- WheatKing

-- DSM Junkie --
4 - 1G talons
4 - Avenger/sebrings
1 - Jeep to tow em home when they break

TeamMetalJimJan-14-03 07:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#37175, "RE: stock manifold into a turbo mani. 'its cast' ???"
In response to Reply # 11

LOL

I'm havin fun putting one together. But he's right, its not easy and it's not for everyone. Although they are bolt-on in kit form, building a custom system is more like engraining than it is bolting on. Thats what it feels like anyway.

ride__________95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
power________Field SFC Hyper-R : Gude cams : Jeep TB : AFX UDP : ram air : test pipe : GST catback
suspention___Hurricane F/R lower strut ties : BOMZ F/R upper strut bars : ES inserts
sound________Kenwood KDC 5000 : Audiovox 8" sub toob : Xplod 222
shizzle_______AutoCommand remote start : dual air horns : Caspers o2 simulator(rear)
incomming___Bosal header(maybe), 14b turbosystem(eventually)

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #37163 Previous topic | Next topic