Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #34021
View in threaded mode

Subject: "14B or T3?" Previous topic | Next topic
Z87RSManNov-07-02 08:15 AM
Member since Mar 07th 2002
2188 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#34021, "14B or T3?"

I've been looking lately for T3 turbochargers off e-bay or some of the Ford sites, I'm too cheap to buy a new one so I'm going to rebuild what I can. Question is, aren't these turbos similar in power capabilities? I don't know the exact specs on them and I've looked, but I know I can find some cheap 14B off dsmtrader that are in good shape and I won't worry so much as from e-bay auctions. Plus these are newer than those old Z31, T-bird, SVO turbos that are mostly for sale. So what are the max boost levels these are capable of, we're looking at 7-8 psi on our project, it's got a 9:1 CR, forged, good compression, no cash for an intercooler. Let me know and thanks.

Luke

1998 Mustang GT 5-speed
2002 Lone Star Shelby Cobra Replica

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratorEvuLFleANov-07-02 09:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#34022, "RE: 14B or T3?"
In response to Reply # 0

T3

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MotoFoolNov-07-02 12:09 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#34023, "RE: 14B or T3?"
In response to Reply # 1

t3 and those old ford turbos should be fine i know somone that is running like 22psi ona svo turbo he gota merikur x4tti

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

510eclipseNov-07-02 12:34 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
#34024, "RE: 14B or T3?"
In response to Reply # 2

hahaha go with a 14 b, youll be at full boost by 2500, not like 4k. and the stock actuated pressure with the internal waste gate is already set to 7psi, which is what you say you want. no money for an intercooler? well if you get a t3 youll probably have to buy an external waste gate for it because if my memory serves me right most t3's do not come internally gated. then when you have enough money for an ic, also buy a better bigger turbo for high boost capabilities but with higher qualitys than an old t3. then sell the 14b back on ebay for nearly what you got it for. in the mean time the 14b would be good. but what project is this for? aside from everything ive already rambled on about, i chose to go with a 14b because if it came down to me not having a turbo mani, i could bolt the 14b straight up to my stock exhaust mani on the 420a, with only a small amount of work being neccessary to the downpipe section.

95 silver gsNov-07-02 02:20 PM
Member since Sep 14th 2002
853 posts,
#34025, "RE: 14B or T3?"
In response to Reply # 3

I have a 14b for sale e-mail me nitro312@hotmail.com

Z87RSManNov-07-02 03:30 PM
Member since Mar 07th 2002
2188 posts,
#34026, "RE: 14B or T3?"
In response to Reply # 4

The project is an '89 Mustang 5.0. We're doing some cheaper work until we can scrape together enough cash to get a sponsor interested. Right now, we want good throttle response, low lag and boost threshold, internal wastegate, and ability to push at most maybe 15 psi once the intercooler is done (we're buying a core next fall and doing the welding ourselves).

As of now, plans call for a non-intercooled twin turbo first (summer '03) then intercooling it (summer '04) then rebuilding with a stroker 331 (summer '05) and finally changing everything when I graduate and getting the car up to 9-10 second capability, possibly with a t-72 or something similar.

The modifications planned for this summer:

Twin 14b? T3?
Custom 2.5" downpipes
Manual boost controller
Turbo XS BOV
36# injectors
Hedman headers with custom fabbed flange for either Mitsu or Garret turbo
Stiffen suspension

The car is fast right now, it runs a low 13 with 3.73 gears, 75mm MAF, 70mm TB, Edelbrock intake, 24# injectors, BBK cool air with K&N, ported stock heads, BBK headers, E-303 cam.

More opinions and help are always appreciated.

Luke

1998 Mustang GT 5-speed
2002 Lone Star Shelby Cobra Replica

MotoFoolNov-07-02 06:13 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#34027, "RE: 14B or T3?"
In response to Reply # 5

twin t3's guy here running 9's with the stock svo turbos ona 5.0 its mean machine and if memory serves me right a svo t3 is spooled at 3k or a little below..

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #34021 Previous topic | Next topic