Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #332
View in linear mode

Subject: "STAR fuel question..." Previous topic | Next topic
BoostnRSDec-16-00 10:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#332, "STAR fuel question..."

Hey guys i was wondering if someone could tell me why on the STAR kits, the tell you to put the FMU in the back of the car right by the fuel pump !??

thanks,
Martin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
I certainly don't know the "why"..., TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-16-00 12:43 PM, #1
RE: FMU, BoostnRS, Dec-16-00 03:33 PM, #2
RE: STAR fuel question..., SaberKhan, Dec-16-00 05:43 PM, #3
RE: STAR fuel question..., TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-16-00 05:50 PM, #4
      RE: STAR fuel question..., SaberKhan, Dec-16-00 07:00 PM, #5
           Boost Controler!, Greg, Dec-16-00 07:07 PM, #6
                Star Fuel System, TeamWyatt, Dec-17-00 11:26 AM, #7
                     RE: Star Fuel System, BoostnRS, Dec-17-00 04:17 PM, #8
                          I thought so too but...., TeamWyatt, Dec-17-00 05:57 PM, #9

TeamJasonESi_TDec-16-00 12:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#333, "I certainly don't know the "why"..."
In response to Reply # 0

Without actually asking him, but I'll venture some guesses.

I think it probably involves a design choice really. Whoever designed the kit(Wyatt knows him) made the call to worry about a vacuum return to the back of the car rather than the fuel return line. Also, with the absence of a fuel return in 96+ cars, he must have just thought it would be unfeasible or rather uneasy to find a way to tap into the fuel rail in order to make the fuel return line. Maybe HRC was lucky enough to come to the realization of usign the service fitting on the fuel rail in order to include a fuel return line. Using the FMU in the back of the car, you stay much "closer" within the constructs of the stock fuel system, only adding the vacuum line to the back of the car. An "addition" as opposed to almost a complete alteration to the stock fuel system.

There's my guess. I think it's reasonable,but maybe just a bit more risky though. Vacuum lines are so much more touchy than are fuel lines.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BoostnRSDec-16-00 03:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#334, "RE: FMU"
In response to Reply # 1

Jason, thanks for you response..
That was my first impression, that on the 96+ cars it would be easier just to put the fmu in the back..
but i just wanted someone to confirm that the 96+ do in fact run only a single fuel line (pressure)..

Thanks !

<BoostnRS>

SaberKhanDec-16-00 05:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#335, "RE: STAR fuel question..."
In response to Reply # 0

Actually the FMU is right by the stock FPR. The fuel pump is in the tank.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

TeamJasonESi_TDec-16-00 05:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#336, "RE: STAR fuel question..."
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah Saber...

I think he meant that. Relatively speaking, in 96+ cars, the fuel pump, in the tank, is "near" the stock FPR right in front of the fuel tank, by the fuel filter.

I like to be specific too, though.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

SaberKhanDec-16-00 07:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#337, "RE: STAR fuel question..."
In response to Reply # 4

Ah, ok. Hey Jason, whatd'ya think. I'm stuck between two boost controllers. Apex'i AVC-R or the Blitz dual solenoid.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

GregDec-16-00 07:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
392 posts,
#338, "Boost Controler!"
In response to Reply # 5

AVC-R Baby!! It's well worth the money!! Gear learn, RPM Boost change!! It's the shizit!

http://www.99eclipse.dsmpower.com

Greg Williamson
1999 Eclipse GS "Sport" (Sold)
Star Stage III
12.817 @ 109.36

TeamWyattDec-17-00 11:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#339, "Star Fuel System"
In response to Reply # 6

Basically, the FMU needs to be put downstream of the fuel pressure regulator. The 96+ 420a's have the regulator at the back fo the car by the fuel tank, so, the FMU need to be put in line with the return line to raise line pressure.
The 95 Fuel systems ahev the regulator directly on the fuel rail, so the FMU is located in the engine bay.
If you have a 96+ 420a, and want to put the FMU in the engine bay, that will require either moving the regulator to the engine bay and routign it from the stock regulator to the new FMU.
Anotehr option is to replace the Stock regulator with an adjustable FMU so you can set your own idle fuel pressure.
I woul deither get the Vortech fully adjustable FMU or the Bell Engineering Adj FMU if you are interested in that.

Vortech FMU
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VEOS&Product_Code=6X100-001&Category_Code=FC

Bell FMU
http://www.bellengineering.net/miataextras.htm

Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

BoostnRSDec-17-00 04:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#340, "RE: Star Fuel System"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for the response guys !! =)

The reason why i was asking was because when i did my turbo system i thought about doing that but i wasnt sure if it would work. So what i did was i bought a used 95 eclipse fuel rail which has the stock fpr mounted on it, and i ran a fuel return line to the tank.

I was just wondering how "EFFECTIVE" it is to put the FMU in the back were the stock fpr is ?? would it be absolutely the same as say having the fmu mounted in the engine bay next to the fuel rail fpr ?? the reaon i ask this is running a super long vacuum line may throw off the boost reading !
any thoughts on that ??

TeamWyattDec-17-00 05:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#341, "I thought so too but...."
In response to Reply # 8

On my latest test I ran about 95psi of fuel pressure @ about 5.5psi of boost. I'm thinking thats a lot of fuel, not to mention my O2 sensor is reading somewhere along the lines of .94-.96v (super rich).So My thinking of the FMU seeing less boost than right at the fuel rail went right out the window.
The ONLY reason I would feel more comfortable having the FMU in the engine bay is so you don't have a 6ft vacuume line going to the back of the car. But, I have't had any problems with that.
Also, if you get an adjustable FMU, your goin gto want it in the engine bay anyway so you can change fuel pressure ratio.

Wyatt Leras
http://www.turbogs.dsmpower.com
98 Eclipse GS Star Stage 5,000 Turbo kit

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #332 Previous topic | Next topic