Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #169
View in linear mode

Subject: "EGT thermocouple install" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TDec-05-00 03:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#169, "EGT thermocouple install"

Hi,

I need some information regarding the install of the thermocouple for a Westach EGT guage. I bought the 4D2K EGT probe. WEstach in turn sent me the probe AND a "weld on bung." I was wondering, do I have to go somewhere to have the "weld on bung" welded into a hole sized to fit the bung or do I tap a hole in the manifold to only fit the probe's screw-in piece(that incidentally fits the bung)??

I guess I was just surprised at the need for any welding. I hope my question was clear enough.

Thanks a lot,
Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorCorbinDec-05-00 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#170, "RE: EGT thermocouple install"
In response to Reply # 0

You can probably do either. The first time I installed my EGT probe, I paid somebody $15 to weld the bung in. When I got the turbo manifold, I paid someone to tap the manifold for the probe . The probe probably needs an 1/8" NPT tap. They are pretty cheap. You could do it yourself for cheap.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T
HRC + FMIC
http://members.nbci.com/cbehnken/

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TDec-05-00 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#171, "RE: EGT thermocouple install"
In response to Reply # 1

You're right Corbin, the Probe does have a 1/8 NPT. At least that what it says. But you lost me a bit when you said the "first time" you had someone weld the bung, then the next time you just tapped it. I'm guessing that you just welded a bung to your non-turbo manifold the first time you installed the EGT, and then this time with the turbo manifold, you just tapped into the manifold with a 1/8" NPT tap and that allowed you to just "Screw/ratchet" the 1/8 NPT EGT probe in to the tapped hole, am I right here?

Thanks as always for the answers Corbin!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

ModeratorCorbinDec-07-00 09:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#172, "RE: EGT thermocouple install"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah...thats what I meant. I had the bung welded into my old pacesetter headers. When I got the turbo, I was too cheap to buy another bung, so I just got the turbo manifold tapped. I would have done it myself, but I couldn't find the appropriate tap. I found the proper NPT tap later in some autoparts store for like $5...pissed me off.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T
HRC + FMIC
http://members.nbci.com/cbehnken/

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #169 Previous topic | Next topic