Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #126
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated." Previous topic | Next topic
SaberKhanDec-03-00 03:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126, "Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated."

I'm just curious as to what kind of gas mileage you guys are getting. I know that off-boost it should be nearly the same, but I mean c'mon, we all know our feet are made of lead :o)

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated., Shant, Dec-04-00 02:02 AM, #1
RE: Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated., TeamMuRiX, Dec-04-00 03:15 AM, #2
RE: Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated., Shant, Dec-12-00 03:06 AM, #9
FuelPrices, BoostnRS, Dec-10-00 08:28 AM, #3
      RE: FuelPrices, TeamJeff_99gs, Dec-10-00 06:43 PM, #4
           RE: FuelPrices, TeamMuRiX, Dec-11-00 01:54 AM, #5
                RE: Boost, BoostnRS, Dec-11-00 10:22 AM, #6
                     I didn't know this either..., TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-11-00 01:14 PM, #7
                          RE: I didn't know this either..., TeamMuRiX, Dec-12-00 02:40 AM, #8

ShantDec-04-00 02:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
64 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127, "RE: Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated."
In response to Reply # 0

I think I'm barely getting 15mpg and that once was barely boosting, somthing is definately not right. I first got almost 300mpg on a full tank without the turbo, Now I barely can get 200 to a full tank. , and at $1.74 it gets costly....

Shant 98 HRC Equipped Avenger

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMuRiXDec-04-00 03:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#128, "RE: Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated."
In response to Reply # 1

It's cause you are running way too rich.
I'm getting around 21mpg average - the worst I have seen is maybe 15mpg, but thats during hard mountain driving for hours of speed up slow down driving. And I'm still running rich - I am able to get 24mpg+ on long trips.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage II
And a whole lot of other mods...
89 Accord LSi - yes it's mine
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

ShantDec-12-00 03:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
64 posts,
#129, "RE: Hey Wyatt, Chris M, and anyone else supernatural aspirated."
In response to Reply # 2

I wish I was running rich, My EGT start reading high if i get on it only for a little while, Even if I mess with the AFC, I got nothing, possibly fuel filter is clogged, but since my car isn't running now that's teh least of my worries, Stil lhaven't had time to do a compression check but will this week..

Shant 98 Avenger

BoostnRSDec-10-00 08:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#130, "FuelPrices"
In response to Reply # 1

>at $1.74 it gets costly....

Wow!! were do you live at ??? Here in the Bay Area (Cali).
gas runs anywere from $2.09 - $2.19 per gallon !!!

Anyway, to answer your question the turbo does effect gas milage only depending on how you drive, but that is the case for NA or turbo. you cant tell me you can get 300 miles to a tank of gas romping on your car 24/7... Well the same applies to the turbos, but when under boost even more gas gets consumed. When not in boost i noticed near stock gas mileage..

hope that helps !

TeamJeff_99gsDec-10-00 06:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#131, "RE: FuelPrices"
In response to Reply # 3

As far as long distance driving goes, I make a 360 mile trip from Maryland to upstate New York about 5 times a year. This is at 70mph roughly depending on the road, maybe even faster. Now if I have the HRC kit, which I am told spools at 2700rpm, then I am boosting at 70mph (3k rpm). If I have the Star kit, I wouldn't be boosting really because that spools at 3300rpm (I am told). So that means I should go with the star kit then? That seems to be the only issue holding me back right now..deciding if I want to spend $2500 for the HRC stage 1 for 5psi or $2500 for the Star stage 2 for 8psi and FMIC (assuming there will be another group buy). Gas mileage is really important in my decision making. Please correct my math if I am wrong.

any thoughts?

Jeff

http://gs.dsmpower.com <---- slightly updated!

TeamMuRiXDec-11-00 01:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#132, "RE: FuelPrices"
In response to Reply # 4

You're looking at it wrong. I can run my 16G at 4k without building boost. Boost is not necessarily rpm dependent. It is more throttle dependent. When you hear someone speak of these numbers, this is at full throttle. You wouldn't be flooring it or even half way flooring it once you are cruising. So the gas mileage becomes unaffected at cruising speeds. If you are slowing down/speeding up a lot you will suck down gas.

MuRiX

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

BoostnRSDec-11-00 10:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
204 posts,
#133, "RE: Boost"
In response to Reply # 5

MuRix nailed it pretty good !! To further elaborate, when you are cruising on the freeway your are just barely tapping on the gas just to maintain constant speed, so most of the time you will be driving at partial throttle with the throttle plate almost closed. Its hard to build boost at partial throttle unless your car is under a lot of load, like when going up a big hill.

hope that helps !

TeamJasonESi_TDec-11-00 01:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#134, "I didn't know this either..."
In response to Reply # 6

...until I actually had a turbocharged car. Sure, the onset of boost can come shy of 2500 rpms if I have the throttle pushed wide open (or the pedal-to-the-metal), but if you gradually press on the thottle you can control your gas consumption so it never exceeds what you would normally produce without boost. For instance, on my trip to Chicago this weekend, I was still able to travel the 190 miles or so without using more than about a half a tank of gas.

Another fun thing I noticed is that the use of cruise control will use boost if necessary. If you ascend up a large hill and your C/C needs to maintain the set speed, it would actually apply heavy throttle if necessary (just like normal). an observation of note though is a couple of times it actually used 2-3 pounds of boost when necessary to maintain the desired speed. I'm just contributing this to denote how incorporated the turbo acts when used with our cars. It's quite subtely pleasing.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamMuRiXDec-12-00 02:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#135, "RE: I didn't know this either..."
In response to Reply # 7

That amused me as well when I first used my cruise control. Started going up hill and the boost kicked in. Interesting.

MuRiX

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #126 Previous topic | Next topic