Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109770
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+" Previous topic | Next topic
corsagsboJul-02-15 08:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109770, "Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
Jul-02-15 08:37 PM by corsagsbo

Long story short: This car has been sitting for years unfinished. Each year before Shootout I give it a go with what I can of any of the extremely limited time that I have available.
It has been 5 years since driven. As of this week I have gone back to S16g and factory cams with hopes to simply get it back on the road again. The PortFueler is installed without the MDS DIS-2 6212 wired up. Car cranks over with good compression(motor rebuilt by VT @9.25:1 before they stopped doing 420a), fuel is fed and reading 48psi at the Aeromotive 1:1 regulator. Spark is present and the engine is timed at 0* TDC. The Walbro runs and primes as expected, yet the car simply won't light off. Anyone of the vets or experienced PF pros with ideas? I'm almost to the point where I would trade out the PF for a Megasquirt setup if someone would want to swap them out. I'm losing patience again but want to desperately drive a DSM again...

Here's a little more on the car, etc: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/street-strip.494871/

--------------------------------------
Santiago
98 GS boosted 420a
06 MKV 2.0t 6 speed APR stg 3
95 T/A 383ci head and cam N/A
08 Saab 9-3 Aero HP Tuners
03 Harley XL 92ci w/ NOS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, ez, Jul-03-15 01:45 PM, #1
RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, corsagsbo, Jul-03-15 06:07 PM, #2
      RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, ez, Jul-04-15 02:42 PM, #3
           RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, J, Jul-04-15 03:46 PM, #4
                RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, ModeratorCorbin, Jul-18-15 05:56 PM, #5
                     RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, corsagsbo, Jul-19-15 01:24 PM, #6
                          RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+, corsagsbo, Aug-05-15 03:23 PM, #7

ezJul-03-15 01:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109771, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-03-15 01:48 PM by ez

Almost same situation happened to me 2 weekends ago. I also have a portfueler setup, but that has nothing to do with a no-start situation, as we are talking about your stock fuel/ignition setup.

You have fuel pressure, just like I did.
It sounds like you have power to the coil, just like I did.

So fuel + fire = no start? On the surface it makes no sense, right? Well the next part of the equation is - is the ECU getting signals correctly to fire off the spark correctly? Everything pointed to a sensor/harness issue.

I've heard of people getting no starts on this board because one sensor went bad, grounding the entire 5V circuit and thus depriving the ecu of crank/cam signal. Someone actually had a no start because the VSS was grounding! Crazy right?

My issue was the wiring to the CLT sensor was corroded and shorting. Thus all the sensors needed for a start were not getting the correct voltage. I repaired the harness at that sensor and the car fired immediately.

You can check this by going over your entire harness looking for shorts (Especially around the EGR pipe). If you don't see anything, you can also try to unplug all your sensors except the ones needed to fire the engine (crank, MAP, and cam sensor for certain model years), and see if you can get it to fire. Also make sure your battery connections are super clean and tight, including the white wires that come off the positive terminal.

EDIT - also bypass your aftermarket MDS DIS 2 in the beginning, just to remove that variable.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

corsagsboJul-03-15 06:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
#109772, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 1

You my friend; are a class act. Great information and response. I will look into the items mentioned. Considering the car has less than 40k original miles and has been in an insulated garage, I don't have corrosion and doubt sensor failure, but I have seen stranger things. Tip of the hat and golf clap!
Santiago
98 GS boosted 420a...(2.2l v8 eater)
06 MKV 2.0t 6 speed APR stg 3
95 T/A 383ci
03 Harley XL 92ci w/ NOS

ezJul-04-15 02:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#109773, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 2

You are welcome! Trust me I know just how annoying these things are. Good luck and don't get discouraged - the feeling of victory is worth it when it finally runs right.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

JJul-04-15 03:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#109774, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 3

+1

Had a car that would turn but never fire, and found the brand new ignition switch melted the connector under steering column... also I remember people having probs cuz of the fan sensor

- J

ModeratorCorbinJul-18-15 05:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#109775, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 4

I once had the same experience as EZ. I had spark and fuel, but no start (came out of the blue). After checking the basics, I started to poke around the ECU inputs using a OBDII logger. With the ignition on, I just scrolled through the sensor readings to look for anything weird. Funny enough, the coolant temperature read 0F, when it was an easy 95F outside. The car was choking on fuel. Clearly, the sensor was bad. Bought a new sensor, still 0F. It turns out that the wire was broken inside the connector. I soldered in a new connector and the coolant temp read correctly. Engine started right up. An OBDII cable and laptop are invaluable for solving issues like this. These days you can get OBDII bluetooth adapters for your smart phone. I can't imagine not having an OBDII scanner/logger.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

corsagsboJul-19-15 01:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
#109776, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-19-15 01:25 PM by corsagsbo

Good stuff. I have all the necessary OBDII equipment and will look into that! Travel has kept me from the car for more than a week, but these are the types of details, from experience, that makes you guys rock! Thanks, Corbin!
Santiago

corsagsboAug-05-15 03:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
#109777, "RE: Ideas? No start- PF Stg5+"
In response to Reply # 6

Update: 2 days to go and still not running. I have ran checks on all sensors that I could think of while taking into consideration the feedback from you guys, but still nothing. Drained the tank this morning which had 100 octane in it and added 2 gallons fresh fuel. The darn thing nearly lights off each time. This has me perplexed. I even disconnected the leads from the PF module to simply see if there was some interference of sorts, but to no avail. Looks like another year walking around the Shootout with my thumb up my a*s! Sucks.

Santiago

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109770 Previous topic | Next topic