Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109630
View in linear mode

Subject: "turbo in a 420" Previous topic | Next topic
2GNTLoverMar-09-13 12:04 PM
Member since Feb 01st 2013
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109630, "turbo in a 420"

hi was just wondering, if i put a turbo kit in a 420 motor do i have to change out the pistons or can i run stock??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: turbo in a 420, armyguy1027, Mar-09-13 01:58 PM, #1
RE: turbo in a 420, 2GNTLover, Mar-09-13 02:02 PM, #2
RE: turbo in a 420, armyguy1027, Mar-09-13 02:06 PM, #3
RE: turbo in a 420, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-10-13 06:59 AM, #4
      RE: turbo in a 420, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-13-13 07:17 AM, #5
           RE: turbo in a 420, Socal420aT, Mar-25-13 10:51 PM, #6

armyguy1027Mar-09-13 01:58 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2012
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#109631, "RE: turbo in a 420"
In response to Reply # 0

You can run low boost like 8 psi on stock internals but for anything higher you would want to build the bottom end up with forged internals. If you use the search function on here you can find a ton of posts on just that subject. Also using the search will keep the board from getting cluttered with multiple posts over the same subject. Not trying to say no one will help but I have found most my questions have been answered just doing the research on it before I ask. Also will keep people from coming on and telling you to search more . The site is full of information on here and the wikki has lots of useful articles on just this subject. Hope you find the answers your looking for.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2GNTLoverMar-09-13 02:02 PM
Member since Feb 01st 2013
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109632, "RE: turbo in a 420"
In response to Reply # 1

thanks for the info, i just recently join the site. not use to it yet thanks for the advice

armyguy1027Mar-09-13 02:06 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2012
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#109633, "RE: turbo in a 420"
In response to Reply # 2

No problem I started doing the same thing when I joined and I got lots of folks telling me to just search. The site is great and you will find a lot of information on here. Good luck with your project and happy modding.

AdministratorCODE4Mar-10-13 06:59 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#109634, "RE: turbo in a 420"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by armyguy1027
You can run low boost like 8 psi on stock internals but for anything higher you would want to build the bottom end up with forged internals.

That is not really the most accurate way to estimate what you can do.

8 psi on a T25 is not the same as 8 psi on a GT3076. To the original poster, the answer is low boost on a small turbo is a safe bet, however boosting a non turbo motor will inevitable result in destruction - the old saying of "not a matter of if, but when" it will blow applies here.

So do it right, build the motor with appropriate internals, then boost. Unless your goal is to see how far you can push a stock motor before it blows, in that case go ahead.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-13-13 07:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#109635, "RE: turbo in a 420"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by CODE4
however boosting a non turbo motor will inevitable result in destruction

This is also not entirely true. The subject isn't one that lends itself well to absolutes.

Most of the time, the stock motor will let go due to human intervention or mistakes. Insufficient fuel system and/or too much boost are the top causes if I had to guess.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Socal420aTMar-25-13 10:51 PM
Member since Jun 01st 2012
25 posts,
#109638, "RE: turbo in a 420"
In response to Reply # 5

Code Is right boost pressures will have drastic differences depending on what turbo your running. but from what I found in my build I decided to not even bother trying to build ANY boost on a stock rod. Just build it right and do it one time.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109630 Previous topic | Next topic