Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109453
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)" Previous topic | Next topic
Sorry_i_WinJun-20-12 02:40 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109453, "Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
Jun-20-12 02:45 PM by Sorry_i_Win

Since my rubber oil return line got a little too close to my downpipe and melted a bit, I decided to look into replacement options. What I found was this:

I'm not too sure how well this will stand up to the heat of the oil exiting the turbo, but I'm going to give it a try. For less that $20, I figured it was worth a try. Here's some pictures of what I used:

Has anyone tried anything similar? I think 24" might be a bit too long, but I wanted to be able to route it far away from the downpipe this time. They also sell 12", 15", and 18" varieties that may work better if you route it differently.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), AdministratorCODE4, Jun-20-12 03:55 PM, #1
RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), Sorry_i_Win, Jun-21-12 04:48 AM, #3
RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), Sorry_i_Win, Jun-21-12 05:00 AM, #5
      RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), AdministratorCODE4, Jun-21-12 05:17 AM, #6
RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), Gruff511, Jun-21-12 12:45 AM, #2
RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), Sorry_i_Win, Jun-21-12 04:52 AM, #4
      RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), SilvrEclips, Jun-21-12 08:42 AM, #7
           RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts), AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-15-12 07:40 PM, #8

AdministratorCODE4Jun-20-12 03:55 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109454, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 0

What is the temp rating of that hose? Did you solder/braze that nipple to your existing drain fitting?

Definitely a wary brow on that setup. I would inspect that thing every time you shut it down and park it.

Why not just get an appropriate drain fitting such as:

and use a rubber hose and hose clamp? I would not recommend using that water heater hose for any longer than necessary.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Sorry_i_WinJun-21-12 04:48 AM
1910 posts,
#109456, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by CODE4
What is the temp rating of that hose? Did you solder/braze that nipple to your existing drain fitting? Definitely a wary brow on that setup. I would inspect that thing every time you shut it down and park it.

Not sure what the temp rating is... that was one of my concerns, but I think it should be able to withstand the heat. Yes, I soldered the fitting to the existing brass fitting.

Why not just get an appropriate drain fitting such as: and use a rubber hose and hose clamp? I would not recommend using that water heater hose for any longer than necessary.

That's what I had but the rubber hose didn't hold up well (both to oil and heat-because it got too close to the down pipe).

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

Sorry_i_WinJun-21-12 05:00 AM
1910 posts,
#109458, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-21-12 05:17 AM by Sorry_i_Win

What is the temp rating of that hose?

Hmm... well I did a little research and it looks like the hose is rated for:

Maximum pressure is 125 PSI (8.62 BAR)
Maximum temperature is 180°F (82.22 C)

I'm not sure how hot the oil coming out of the turbo gets (just installed the temp gauge, but it's setting above the oil filter), but it sounds like that might be an issue. If so, lesson learned. I imagine oil temps will get around 350-400°F. Guess I'll be looking into those ebay kits after all. I can return the hose, but not the fittings... they were only about $5 total though.

AdministratorCODE4Jun-21-12 05:17 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#109459, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-21-12 04:19 PM by CODE4

A leak on your oil drain line is not going to register on either gauge. There is little pressure on that line, hence its name: drain line. Also I am pretty sure a water line is not rated for petroleum products. And since it is braided you have no way to visually inspect the hose. You may have dissolved rubber hose draining and floating around in your oil pan now.

As for the temperature - your coolant gets hotter than that, so your oil is definitely going to surpass that value, especially coming out of the Turbo CHRA.

Also condense your replies to one post. 3 separate replies is unnecessary.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Gruff511Jun-21-12 12:45 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#109455, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 0

For the price of everything you just bought you could probably have bought an entire turbo drain kit on ebay with all the fittings and ss braided hose. I got mine off ebay and its held up since.

Sorry_i_WinJun-21-12 04:52 AM
1910 posts,
#109457, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-21-12 05:40 AM by Sorry_i_Win

Originally posted by Gruff511
For the price of everything you just bought you could probably have bought an entire turbo drain kit on ebay with all the fittings and ss braided hose. I got mine off ebay and its held up since.

The cheapest kit on ebay is $40. I paid $18. If it works out, it will be worth it.

I have oil pressure and temp gauges that I will be monitoring so if I do develop a leak, I'll know right away. I just thought this might be worth a shot.

EDIT: Shopping around on ebay, I did find a kit for $30 that looks like it'll work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-Drain-Line-Kit-20in-10AN-MHI-TD04-T005-TD06-/150831533902?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231e428f4e&vxp=mtr#ht_1779wt_952

I guess I'll get it and give it a shot.

SilvrEclipsJun-21-12 08:42 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#109460, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 4

Most of the time the oil temp stays pretty close to the coolant temp. I would suspect the oil to be between 200-250F. Like stated earlier coming out of the turbo it may be a little hotter

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-15-12 07:40 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#109501, "RE: Stainless Turbo Oil Drain Line (Home Depot parts)"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by SilvrEclips
Most of the time the oil temp stays pretty close to the coolant temp. I would suspect the oil to be between 200-250F. Like stated earlier coming out of the turbo it may be a little hotter

May be a little hotter? MAY BE?

Exhaust gas temps can exceed 1600*F at the head. By the time they reach the turbo they are 200* cooler MAX. That means the turbo housing is going to be 1400*. The CHRA bolts directly to the exhaust housing so that means the CHRA is going to be no less than 1300*. Your now tickeling 200* oil through a 1300* turbo and you think the oil might be a little hotter?

To the Original poster......you can have all the gauges you want. By the time you realize you have a leak you will already be starving the engine of oil. Your penny pinching 20.00, it cost more than that to fill up your gas tank. You sir are being foolish and if you continue on this road of stupidity, you will soon be modding an electric golf cart!

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #109453 Previous topic | Next topic