Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108970
View in linear mode

Subject: "turbo build" Previous topic | Next topic
C-NoSep-22-11 08:45 PM
Member since Feb 09th 2010
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108970, "turbo build"

Im looking to build a turbo motor im trying to do it the most inexpensive way i can without buying no name brand products any suggestions or ides would be greatly appreciated

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: turbo build, shatteredsilence, Sep-22-11 09:02 PM, #1
RE: turbo build, Slo2g, Sep-22-11 10:49 PM, #2
      RE: turbo build, junkyarddsm, Sep-23-11 12:24 AM, #3
           RE: turbo build, streetlightning, Sep-29-11 10:13 AM, #4
                RE: turbo build, Slo2g, Sep-29-11 08:00 PM, #5
                     RE: turbo build, streetlightning, Sep-29-11 08:09 PM, #6
                          RE: turbo build, Slo2g, Sep-29-11 08:17 PM, #7
                               RE: turbo build, streetlightning, Sep-29-11 08:21 PM, #8
                                    RE: turbo build, Broke4going, Nov-28-11 08:27 PM, #9

shatteredsilenceSep-22-11 09:02 PM
Member since Jul 02nd 2011
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108971, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 0

there are a ton of threads on this topic already... please search before you post a new thread

HOLE IN BLOCK, UP FOR SALE WITH ALL MODS STILL ON. PERFECT FOR REBUILD pm IF INTERESTED

Daily Driven!

willwood big break kit
cold air intake
Coil-over system
2.5'' tsudo cat back exhaust
18'' Konig's
stage II clutch

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Slo2gSep-22-11 10:49 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#108972, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 1

Keep a constant check on the classifieds here and on neons.org and dsmtuners.

junkyarddsmSep-23-11 12:24 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2010
75 posts,
#108973, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-23-11 12:28 AM by junkyarddsm

eagle is the only brand that I have heard of that make h-beam rods for the 420a and I have seen a few pistons for pretty cheap to handle boost ill look on my bookmarks and see if I can find them again.

Finish? What is this "finish" you speak of sir? Dsm's are never complete just temporarily put together.

97 eclipse gone but never forgotten Ill miss you money pit.

streetlightningSep-29-11 10:13 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
#108989, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 3
Sep-29-11 10:14 AM by streetlightning

Budget builds are fun, but dont last long (typically). You need to remember these things

1. you get what you pay for.
Buy cheap, get cheap parts...
2. FAST, RELIABLE AND CHEAP.
pick 2.
3.Do it right the first time or do it twice and pay tipple.

Dont expect big things out of it..

Your limited on rods and pistons.. Like said above keep an eye out in the classifieds.. thats really your only option if you wanna cheap out.

This "sport" is a money pit... Ive learned that if you spend the cash upfront and buy quality stuff.. you have a much better outcome. can quality stuff break after 500 miles, sure can. but very unlikely, and if it does its usually b/c something else was wrong.. IMO man, if you want to boost a car cheap, go get a civic.

IMO, it would be hard to boost a car for under 1000... and thats just staying on 8 psi, which we all know, is fun for about 10 mins, then we want more.. then your looking at several K to do it proper..

you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly, its the honest ones you need to look out for. you never know when they will do something..stupid

Slo2gSep-29-11 08:00 PM
1074 posts,
#108998, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 4

Actually you can buy pistons and rods for these cars that will handle what most 2gnt'ers can throw at it for around 800 bucks. Thats not throwing machine work into the equation.

streetlightningSep-29-11 08:09 PM
778 posts,
#108999, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-29-11 08:11 PM by streetlightning

no one said he couldn't...? then theres potentially bearings, and machine work.. and then ARP head studs, a new MLS hg, and while your in there, prolly smart to do the water pump and oil pump and timing componets.. maybe even upgrade to mech.. he will be well into the 1600+..then we go into trans.. lsd's and clutches to get the power down.. but thats doing it right. sure he could thro 800 in rods and pistons and mayb get outa it at about 1g.. but i wouldn't rely on it..

i meant he is "limited" to JE/Wiesco.. as they are pretty much the only ones out there and are the cheapest, and prolly what he will find in the classifieds..

you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly, its the honest ones you need to look out for. you never know when they will do something..stupid

Slo2gSep-29-11 08:17 PM
1074 posts,
#109001, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes, but if you go that route then by the time you stop saying, " well I'm gonna be in there so while I'm there I might as well do XXXXX and if I'm doing that then I might as well go ahead and get XXXXXX too!" you'll end up with a LOT of money in a car that you MIGHT have been just as happy with 5000 dollars ago. Sometimes its better to do it in stages.

streetlightningSep-29-11 08:21 PM
778 posts,
#109002, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-29-11 08:23 PM by streetlightning

I agree, do itin stages.. but why pull the motor X times.. IMO, i do it right, ill build the WHOLE bottom.. not just nickle and dime with pistons, and yup snow balls real quick. But then i dont have to fear ripping everything out just to upgrade one part and end up re-doing work.. Like the head studs.. He is already there, doesnt make sense to not do it.. plus you can re use them.. other wise how many time will he buy the tty bolts.. and if he goes mech tensioner, he wont have to worry about the lame hydro one.. You cant deny these are all things that should be done on a proper rebuild.. sure you can skip steps and it will work. but thats where the cheap beats out the reliability..

then again smart people have GOALS.. and can understand what it takes to get to the goal.. so OP, perhaps you should figure out what you want outa the car, and then we can help you cherry pick what parts are useful and what parts are not.. But for the bottom end .. its pretty general..

Broke4goingNov-28-11 08:27 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
#109068, "RE: turbo build"
In response to Reply # 8

Instead of shouting search i'll agree with streetlightning, choose the goal you want and then start buying. I made the mistake soooo many times over again in the last 10 years... excitment made me buy XYZ part and then later, ended up not even being able to use it because it didn't fit my ever changing goals! haha.

My VERY BEST advice if you can handle this, save your money in the amount of each part you want at retail in a savings account, by the time you have the money for all the parts you want you will either A) be able to build your dream motor/trans/turbo or B)Buy another car with all of it already done.

I do encourage you to have the restraint to save... I always hate to see those classified ads titled: fully built engine and parts for sale :with a tag like "can't find time or means to finish"... so sad.

To address the thread issue though, at retail, Eagle/Wiseco is the best value most often. Personally I run Eagle/JE combo 8.8:1

The screen name says it all

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #108970 Previous topic | Next topic